I'd like on my Hub: - To who who ban phone use - by Preston Brock

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (54 posts)
  1. imortalone profile image60
    imortaloneposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Politics - To those who try and ban phone use - by Preston Brock (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's a personal opinion piece and really should be in a blog, not a magazine site like HubPages. It's also in the wrong category - 'Capitalism'.

Your title is not really a title. https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … ndly-Title

Big blocks of text should be broken up and some relevant, legal-to-use images included.

As far as the content is concerned, I expect you will have a hard time to get the parents and relatives of people killed by careless phone-using drivers to agree with you. And I see no mention of the number of people who are the victims of distracted-by-phone drivers. Have you done any research on the statistics? http://www.icebike.org/texting-and-driving/

Personally, I think if a cell-phone ban at the wheel (as in the UK) saves one life then it's worth it. What could possibly be so important that a person is unable to park up to use their phone? Pokemon Go? http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin … h-12002142

imortaloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well miss. There are paragraphs. The text is broken up. As for the title... I don't want the same title as you. There are millions of tittles...

Yes I have seen the statistics. I've been in driving school.

But I can meet the standard requirements for the title. Its not a big deal. I'll revise.

I just used my photos title and moved the other title down to a subtitle.

2. firstcookbooklady profile image84
      firstcookbookladyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I looked at the page. I agree with the points you stated. Why ban phones when people are just as distracted by radios, other drivers, etc. However, when I do a page, I try to complete the suggested works offered by Hubpages.. the progress check marks... Which is multiple texts, several photos. I use snipping tool if I google something... use a picture of my search... You have one paragraph. One photo.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

You asked, theraggededge answered. She is giving you good advice. If you take that advice, you might see your article published. HP has certain requirements; don't take it personally.

You might also run your article through a grammar checker. I see lots of little typos, for example, "day in age" should be "day and age," "should-not" should be "should not" or "shouldn't," "self driving cars" should be "self-driving cars," etc. There are missing commas here and there, etc.

I think it would also help to take your name out of the title.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the comment guy.
      But I did say I would change the title.

As for spelling. Those suggestions are extremely minor. Some people think shouldn't isn't an appropriate word for essays too. It's a sort of matter of opinion. Like yourself I think, 'shouldnt' is correct. If there's a - between two word instead of a _. The world isn't coming to an end.. I am not an English teacher. Just trying to post the issue.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you want more feedback, lose the attitude.  Use the advise or don't use the advice, but skip complaining about or critiquing it.

Well it's not new advice. I get it all the time and I use the same sort of answers. As replies.. Basically, I'm saying the grammar isn't that bad even if you need to grade it by the highest standards. I probably get a C and I'm good with that.

In addition by the time it would take to go through and edit everything I have written I could have wrote quite a few more articles... Instead of trying to debate the most proper way to write the two words, 'should not'. That whole thing is for the professional English professors to debate about..

Perhaps finally, this is just a professional online site... it's not like I am submitting something to the New York Times..

If you get a gift you don't like, you don't explain to the giver why it was crap and they are dumb.  You quietly get rid if it while they aren't looking.  That is, if you want anyone else to give you any gifts in the future. 

(Or maybe you keep it in a cupboard somewhere.  I have been given a lot of stuff I didn't appreciate at the time but turned out to be super useful later.)

The reason you keep having to discuss advice you don't like is because you keep posting about it.  Focus on what you can use, and ignore the rest, and the thread will work better for you.

2. theraggededge profile image96

Why am I not surprised? You sound like someone who has a closed mind and doesn't want to learn because you think you know it all already.

Are you talking about the article? About protecting people's rights against authorities or the common grammar argument? That relates to how people are strict and closed minded about little things in Grammer such as the word: shouldn't?

2. imortalone profile image60

(I'm not sure if my comment posted) Are you referring to the article about protecting people's rights against authorities? Or are you referring to the grammar topic on this thread? About how people are to strict and closed minded about words such as: shouldn't.

1. theraggededge profile image96

Look up to the top right corner - click 'Chronological'. Then you will see who is responding to what.

Umm?

What part of that didn't you understand?  Using chronological view prevents one from getting confused about who posted about what.

SmartAndFunposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I get what you're saying that these are minor issues, but yet these minor issues will keep your piece from being published. A C might be good enough for you, but HP wants it to be better than that. Again, these are HP's standards. If you don't want to follow their rules, you can publish your work elsewhere. No big deal.

If you don't want help with your article to get it published, you shouldn't have posted it here, asking for help to get it published.

I posted it to see why it wasn't published yes. I also have left my 2 cents because those little things in my opinion is an out dated rule that this site follows.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94

K

Yes. After all this site is definitely not an A+ article site like the New York Times. If I was grading. Many of these articles from what I have viewed do not have original content in their article. As for originality this site would get a C.

1. sallybea profile image95
                sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If I were you I would take the advice which was so generously and freely given and download the free Grammarly app and change the hub where indicated.

Didn't know there was an app that just fixes all supposed spelling errors.. Ill check into that right now. Since I haven't gotten around to fixing this yet.

Yet they will not publish your work...

Well this is the questionable point that I raised in this discussion. Smartandfun. Why worry soooo much if a _ or a - is used. People actually worry about it sooo much it's the difference between publishing something or not..

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The reason is that if you write badly, your articles will get lost in the millions of other articles online and no one will ever see it.

Over 90% of visitors to HubPages come from Google search results.  So, if you want to get readers on HubPages, your Hub needs to be included in those search results.  Google runs spelling and grammar checkers over articles before deciding whether to include them or not. So, continue on your current path and your articles will never make it into the SERPS and no one will ever read your work. 

If you don't mind writing articles no one will see, that's up to you.

2. psycheskinner profile image82

So, decide if you want to make the changes you need to, to get published. We can help you do that.
                    Or if you are in fact not going to use this site.  One or the other, dude.

3. psycheskinner profile image82

Look, if this site isn't good enough for you, don't participate.  That's your choice.  If it is, conform to the style requirements of the site.  That's all there is to it.

I think the conversation flew over your head... No offense.
                  However i'm not some A + writer.

3. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

From the OP's profile, "I dont like this site. It is filled with to much censorship and malware..."

I presume he's referring to HubPages. It makes me wonder why he's bothering to attempt to write here?

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Mort, I think your frustration stems from your belief that only a site like the NYT can set and enforce quality standards for its contributors.  But, in fact, any website that accepts submissions can set whatever standards the owner wants.  We are all well aware that HP is not the NYT.   You could start a site called Mort Alone's Thoughts and require that all submissions contain a minimum of ten spelling errors.  Your site, your rules. 

You can save yourself a lot of stress by publishing these articles on your own blog.  On your profile page I see you already have a YouTube channel, so why not convert these articles to videos and publish them there?

Also, I am not sure how old you are, but HP requires that contributors be at least 18.

That second paragraph is the most ridiculous thing I've read all week.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

k

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I notice he's ignored my post.

Just didn't have anything to say. I am online right now.

Okay, so I thought about it... And I think articles just get lost anyways.. I am not a google programmer or anything like that...

No, they do not disappear.   I have articles that are still getting lots of visitors, eight years after they were first published. 

We achieve that by understanding the craft of writing, AND understanding how the internet works.  It sounds like you just want to throw your opinions out there, and you're not willing to do the work to learn how to get them noticed.  That's fine, but it does mean your articles will never be good enough to get published here. 

I get the feeling you don't care, and the only reason you're here is to highlight how "ridiculous" HubPages' rules are.  You're not succeeding in that, honestly, because most Hubbers are writers who care about the English language and find your arguments juvenile.

Well the oldest writing I have Online is only a couple years old at best

Umm made the site like months ago and as a result have gained the knowledge while taking to you 3-4 people that the sites rules are very strict for little reason. 

I'm sure the 2 articles would have over 1000 views by now. If not separately then added together. if they were allowed to be viewed. That's a lot of people if you ask me and that's it.

This site is what it is.  You take part or you don't.

2. theraggededge profile image96

1000 views on two brand new hubs? No. Not unless you could tap into some magical social media stream that was supremely interested/moved/inflamed by your topics. Given what they are - nah.

Edit: you are not the first newbie to come in here stating that you know better and HubPages is wrong. Like all the others, you will give up because you haven't got the determination to show us that you can write a decent hub or 50. Unless....?

Well he could start his own site, live up to his claims there, and that would totally show us.  But until then I'll go by what I've seen happening online for the last 20 years, and on this site 6 years.

You two have the attention span of a rat.. why don't you two talk to each other else where. This is supposed to be about this hub.

It started out as being about this Hub, but by your atttitude, you've made it all about you.

2. psycheskinner profile image82

Rats have attention spans and episodic memory that is better than humans, as it happens. Using abstract language reduces both abilities.

6. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I think you should change your name to Preston Block.

7. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

I realize this entire thread is basically hopeless and Preston is perhaps simply trolling, but for posterity, I want to add the main reason why correct punctuation and grammar is required here, despite this site being well below the professional status of the New York Times.

Preston, it is because of Google. Those of us (HP admin is included in this group) who want our pages to be found and read by the public -- as opposed to our articles simply existing online for the sake of being posted online -- are slaves to Google. Google sends most of us the bulk of our traffic. What Google says goes, and Google wants correct spelling, punctuation and grammar; therefore HP requires correct spelling, punctuation and grammar. It is as simple as that. I should have mentioned this sooner. My apologies for not doing so.

The success of this site is dependent largely upon Google. Each article here which contains poor spelling, punctuation and grammar lessens the chances of all other articles here being successful. Years ago this wasn't so much the case, and you can still find plenty of poorly written articles from the old days, although there is at least some effort going on by HP to get these removed. There were so many poor articles posted in years gone by that finding and removing them a huge task, which is taking years. If you find poorly written material on this site, please flag it for removal.

If you're not concerned about gaining readership from Google or other search engines, you'll be better served posting your work elsewhere.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+++

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

I said the same thing on his other thread, though I didn't have the patience to explain it so thoroughly and politely!

LOL. It was a rainy Sunday morning, I was sitting at the kitchen table with a full cup of coffee, and I was looking for any excuse not to deal with the huge pile of dirty laundry in the next room.

I'm sure this post is pointless anyway. lol

You've just summed up why I spend so much time on these forums.  Avoidance!

lol

Just about anything is better than mopping the floor!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)