Dark Sisters, Tell of YOUR Story & Experiences

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8188272.jpg
    In American society, darker skinned Black women tend to be viewed and considered to be less attractive than the Europid beauty idea which is propogated.  Dark skinned Black women in the society are "the outer" and "the lesser" by both the outer society and within our own Black communities and families.

Little dark skinned  Black girls are still inculcated in some families with the premise that they are not beautiful at all but ugly.  I remember as a child and teenager, dark skinned Black girls were not noticed by the boys as the lighter skinned girls were.  I and other dark skin Black girls were demonized to the multillionth degree.  We were on the beauty periphery so to speak.  I can distincly recall one light skinned Black schoolmate state that a very dark skinned schoolmate was very ugly. 

The scenario is still here and present. As of years ago, a light skinned Black female coworker said to me that a very dark skinned Black female coworker looked less human. One of my maternal aunts indicated in front of everyone how beautiful a very light skinned Black cousin was in front of a very dark skinned Black cousin.  This aunt left all the light skinned cousins inheritances, electing not to leave the dark skinned cousin any although the latter needed it the most.   Many dark skinned Black girls and women oftentimes absorb this societal and intraracial negativity either using outward and/or inward displacement.   

There are some dark skinned Black women who are psychologically broken as a  result of this indocrination. One dark-skinned Black coworker my complexion indicated that she was light-skinned and took high umbrage that she was dark-skinned.  However, there are those glorious dark-skinned Black women who proudly embrace their physical heritage.  They adamantly refuse to absorb negativity colorist propoganda and really are UNCONCERNED with the majority societal, racial, and/or familial consensus regarding the subject.

What is YOUR experience relating to being a dark skinned Black woman in this society? Added note: anyone regardless can also participate in this forum and are encouraged and welcome to do so.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"There are some dark skinned Black women who are psychologically broken as a  result of this indocrination."

Do you think it will help break the ugly cycle by posting here, asking for more people to give their similar experiences and support the idea that dark=ugly?  Or will it simply reinforce the idea in those women that do not have a lot of self confidence?

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not at all, for many thus affected it can be a healing process and a support system of those thus affected helping each other.

2. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

Until we remove all of the stereotypes of Black people in our society we will continue to create an atmosphere where by minorities feel like second-class citizens still.

This indoctrination that White is always right during the civil rights movement brought me great concern when a program was set Up in the South to gauge how Black children viewed themselves and each child was given a White doll and a Black doll they were asked which was the prettiest doll the vast majority said the White doll.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The brain washing has been most clever and seems to be insurmountable, everywhere I seem to look. People are far too shallow to see beyond what they are told to see. The last of our basic prejudices is beauty verses uglyness, how sinister it was that this was somehow tied to melanin or lack thereof in the skin.....

I am pessimistic as it will require taking off the wrappers and a reopening the box and starting over. It will take a reprograming on a level or magnitude of a moon shot. How is it not possible for dark skinned sister to avoid being actively defensive in the face of such an onslaught.

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is true.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In total agreement with you Credence.  The dark skinned Black women has been so demonized by Eurocentric society and cultures.  She is often marginalized and viewed as lesser than.  She is furthermore viewed as the other.   She is not considered as good as nor attractive.  This does not only occur in the majority society but also within the Black community.   The dark skinned Black women is considered to be at the bottom, especially in terms of physical attractiveness. 

Although the situation is slightly better with the actress Lupita Nyong'o winning an Academy Award, the dark skinned Black woman still has a long way to go.  Dark skinned Black women still have a difficult time obtaining roles in Hollywood beyond the ethnocentric, urban, and generally stereotypical roles.   Dark skinned Black women seldom obtain the more glamorous, crossover roles that light skinned Black women obtain.   The roles consigned to dark skinned Black women are usually that of declasse roles, maids, slaves, and other more negative roles.    Especially in the music industry, dark skinned Black women are seldom selected for more prominent roles.   There are some Black rappers such as L'il Wayne who proclaimed that dark skinned Black women are unattractive and that light skinned Black women are more beautiful/attractive. 

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8836470.jpg

1. Dan Rowley profile image58
          Dan Rowleyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

gmwilliams: You, my dear, are certainly beautiful! Not for a dark skinned girl (a comment I know you loath) but, because you are, a beautiful girl (woman)! And, you are right in that darker skinned women are more shunned vs yer light skinned sisters. This knowing not only comes from what blogs I've read, but it's also obvious in the world of entertainment. My experience in this is nil since I'm male & white.There are @ least two exceptions to the rule: Iman & Grace Jones. The latter by the force of her personality. It's very unfair & unfortunate that dark skinned females are so belittled. But, unfortunately tho' it stinks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whomever has control & has the deep pockets. Not only in the entertainment world, but in all aspects of life. From my little corner of the world all can say is hang tuff, stay positive, fight fairly the good fight, keep yer chin held high & above all else remember... for every one of us who picks up a pen to voice, in this case, his support &/or discontent in all matters of speaking, like an iceberg, many more will not preferring to stay in the shadows, below the water line as it where, admiring one & all from a distance. Too shy, intimidated, to say their piece. P.S. Remember this too.... doctors say dark chocolate is healthier for yer heart than milk chocolate. (I hope you take that in it's proper context.) All my best to you & dark skinned girls everywhere.

3. seychellois24 profile image61
    seychellois24posted 7 years ago

Well plain & simply because i'm mixed i have a background where i am considered not black. Well not totally in colour, though certainly in heart & also because of my love of black women.

Let me explain fully..... My mother is Seychellois, of which i am very, very proud. As an olive skinned young boy growing up in NE England, at the tender age of 6-12 i was chassed home & subjected to the slurs of, yes believe or not that N word "NIGGER". So i have earned the right consider my self to be black at heart.Now having said that, i can look at it from two sides.

" BLACK IS BEAUTFUL", If that be African, Indian, South American, Native American or Asian. the darker the woman the better. The never ending mystery that is saturated in the hue of the in the dark creamy richness of that mesmerising skin is simpy though not just "AWESOME"
    Be 'PROUD of what those who are not blessed with, having such an "AMAZING GIFT" which some can only be "DREAM & JEALOUS" of. That is why they try to throw such pityfull words of " I CARE".
    After all, why bother unless they are "JEALOUS"
    Who SINGS, DANCES, KICKS ARSE IN SPORT, & WALKS INTO THE ROOM or CATWALK like no other colour can.... So sing your praises & and hold your head up high "LADIES & GENTLEMAN

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Somehow some people will take this as racist , but  as a white guy  I believe that there is an incredible amount of beauty in  a black woman ,  especially in a darker skinned black  woman ,      AND more importantly ,I too know that  there is a incredible amount of personal pain when  someone insinuates any kind of an ugliness in another that lasts a lifetime.

To the black woman or man , be proud !   You[we ] are  all "different "for a good reason !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)