Dakota Access Pipeline : Eminent domain _ none of this matters

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (28 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

None of this matters any more: I'm pissing in the wind because Trump is a major investor - now Prez:

Offshoot of another thread of government force, http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1389 … d-control-

Since a lot of the discussion involved DAPL, this is the rights of government and the public good versus a private person, family, township or tribe.

a de facto fast-track federal authorization: if unable to legally combat a project - then what are the tools left to stop it?
    NWP 12 abuses:

http://www.desmogblog.com/2016/09/08/da … -permit-12

"Congress did not intend the NWP program to be used to streamline major infrastructure projects like the Gulf Coast Pipeline, the Flanagan South Pipeline, and the Dakota Access Pipeline,” reads their comment. “For the reasons explained herein, we strongly oppose the reissuance of NWP 12 and its provisions that allow segmented approval of major pipelines without any project-specific environmental review or public review process.”

Three federal agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of the Interior, and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, have all urged the Army Corps’ to revise its assessment, citing major risks to water supplies, inadequate emergency preparedness, potential impacts to the Standing Rock reservation and insufficient environmental justice analysis

Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/pipeline-sa … deficient/

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new … -concerns/

"The pipeline was initially routed north of the capital city of Bismarck, Archambault noted, but rerouted by the company, in part, because of concerns to protect drinking-water intakes. The company’s proposed routeThree federal agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of the Interior, and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, have all urged the Army Corps’ to revise its assessment, citing major risks to water supplies, inadequate emergency preparedness, potential impacts to the Standing Rock reservation and insufficient environmental justice analysis now crosses within a half mile of the tribe’s reservation boundary and 10 miles upstream of its drinking-water intake."

http://www.trueactivist.com/pipeline-sa … deficient/

Three federal agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of the Interior, and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, have all urged the Army Corps’ to revise its assessment, citing major risks to water supplies, inadequate emergency preparedness, potential impacts to the Standing Rock reservation and insufficient environmental justice analysis

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13285581.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Three federal agencies, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of the Interior, and the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, have all urged the Army Corps’ to revise its assessment, citing major risks to water supplies, inadequate emergency preparedness, potential impacts to the Standing Rock reservation and insufficient environmental justice analysis.

And yet they haven't, under an Obama administration either. Corporations get their way. The little guy suffers. It's been business as usual in Washington for long time.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

"if unable to legally combat a project - then what are the tools left to stop it?"

Illegal actions.  Bombs, war, etc.  But I'm not sure what you're asking here: is the question based on the premise that the environmentalists want this pipeline stopped so it must be stopped regardless of legality?  That they, or anyone else, must get whatever they want without regard to the law?

It isn't just environmentalists. It's private citizens. They are running a part of the pipeline through here. Some type of station is going in one county west of us. If it blows, people die. A station blew west of here. They said had it happened at night many would have died. Luckily most were at work or school when it happened.

People, average citizens, are not taken into account adequately. They are not informed, adequately. It's not right. If, after the fact, people choose to protest it is because they were given no information, or faulty information, from the get go.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But none of that has anything to do with violating the law.  That the environmentalists have scared people doesn't change it.  That they have sucked a few Indians (far from all of them) into it doesn't change it.  Not even the lie that the Dakota pipeline was publicized or that Indians never had a chance to communicate their fears.  It doesn't change that the law was followed and that criminal activities in trying to get what is illegal to have is not OK.

LtL, what is happening here is a very clear case of NIMBY, coupled with a temper tantrum that the people can't have what they want so will commit crimes until they get it anyway.  I do not agree that it is reasonable.

1. ptosis profile image67
          ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is incorrect.

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/no-dakot … -help.html

Using the Nationwide Permit 12, the Dakota Access Pipeline Project was fast-tracked and granted exemption from environmental review that’s required by the Clean Water Act and the National Environmental Policy Act. Add to the mix that since the DAPL does not cross over into Canada or Mexica, the project isn’t being deeply combed through by federal analysis. According to the chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, David Archambault II, they have been opposing the DAPL since they first learned of it in 2014.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dakota … ts-n676801

The protests forced a halt in construction in late August after the Standing Rock Sioux sued the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The tribe argued that it did not adequately consult with them before granting Energy Transfer Partners fast-track approval in July, as required under the National Historic Preservation Act. The Army Corps of Engineers said it did not oppose the suspension.

The Obama administration intervened, asking Energy Transfer Partners to "voluntarily" halt construction on all surrounding private land, pending a final environmental review by the Army Corps, the Justice Department and the Interior Department. The company rejected that request and resumed construction within 48 hours.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

So far , The entire protesting of the pipeline has created more of an environmental impact than ten  pipe bursting accidents !   Any comment on that , anyone .   Burning tires , pallets , cars  , police vehicles  ,  .....yea !.....Keep up the protest burning !

Can a tire be compared to a human life? Are corporate interests more valuable than a citizen's peace of mind in their home?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Right , What's perhaps a thousand tires ,  a dozen vehicles and you cannot see the hypocrisy  of what we can classify as rioting    ,  isn't that throwing out the baby with the bathwater ?

Not quite like holding up a sign, is it  ?

I'm not saying it's right but you, yourself, admit that the government doesn't act in the best interests of the people. You, yourself, have been known to say there may come a time we will have to take up arms against it.

If the government is protecting corporate interests to the detriment of citizens I don't know what better reason there could be to fight back.

1. profile image0

I think here is a huge difference between all out politically motivated revolution and a pipeline protest on the edge of a reservation . Given the hypocrisy of the environmental issues .      Burn it down .........aren't you all about global warming ?

You have me confused with someone else. I'm not chicken little on global warming. Call me a defeatist on that.

2. Live to Learn profile image59

I think the old saying applies here. The one about not standing up for one, then another, then another and when it came your turn there was no one to stand up for you.

1. profile image0

An inanimate pipeline isn't like the spread of Nazi-ism ,       It may simply be for the betterment of all , Did you look at the map of pipelines I posted ?

If its only the P.C. locations like Indian reservations that matter enough to protest , we are all in trouble !

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13287827_f1024.jpg

2. wilderness profile image96

Are the needs of the nation more important than "peace of mind" for an handful?  Is damaging roads by blockading them with burning tires (illegal most places wherever it done) a reasonable action?  Destroying private property and trespassing to do it?

Are the needs of a nation more important than the peace of mind for a handful? Is that a serious question?

Say you bought a house and moved your family in and they were going to build something next door to you that could explode and kill your entire family, but it would benefit me. Would that be ok?

Kill?  Benefit you only?  The term you proposed was "peace of mind" which is a far cry from "kill".  And the term I used was "nation", not "single individual".

No, you can't change the entire premise and still expect me to keep the same opinion.  But I will point out that my neighbor keeps a car, loaded with 100+ pounds of gasoline, in the driveway next to my house.  Does that qualify as "could explode and kill your entire family"?  Should the pipeline of natural gas in the street outside my home (that benefits only 2 families) be removed because it scares me?

(Do you really think a pipeline of crude oil, that can barely burn at all, can "explode"?  I mean, I visited the tar pits where crude oil bubbles up and makes pools in the middle of LA and none of exploded, never has and never will.)

I don't know much other than what is being protested at this community. But, I will say that I'm a firm believer if the potential danger and/or damage is excessive things should not be done. No matter how many benefit.

And I frown on the concept of imminent domain. Every time I've seen it used it was to benefit a developer, to the detriment of either a home owner or a business owner who'd put years of blood and sweat into building their business.

Perhaps the key is in that "excessive" damage part.  The environmentalists (who are spearheading the disturbance over the Dakota pipeline and commonly demand that anything to do with oil be ended) will tell us that turning a shovel of dirt for the garden is excessive, while others say that the Kennicott Copper mine is quite reasonable.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13287132_f248.jpg

I have problems with imminent domain, too.  Taking a property to build a highway on, or train tracks is one thing.  Even a new or expanded airport or water plant.  To give it to a developer for their new shopping mall is quite another, and that seems far more common.  Perhaps we only hear about those cases, but I suspect it is as common as it seems.

Taking. I don't think anyone should have the right to take anything.

But there is a problem with that, as I see it.  The country needs a new interstate highway (the backbone of the transportation system that made us what we are) - trying to find willing sellers for 3,000 miles of highway simply will not work.  Or the water treatment needs expanded - will the land owners adjacent sell?  The airport needs longer runways to accommodate jets - is the land available, and at a fair market price?

(I trust you aren't thinking that no compensation is given in the use of imminent domain?  That it is simply taken without paying for it?)

2. ptosis profile image67
          ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I also assumed the burnt out and blocked road was done by the protesters. Found out that was not the case.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati … story.html

Sunday's clashes between authorities and protesters started in the early evening, when some protesters tried to move trucks blocking the Backwater Bridge, saying they were preventing emergency services from accessing the reservation. Authorities say they have left the bridge closed since late October because they are concerned about its structural integrity.

It seems highly insincere reasoning by the police who are standing on the bridge with armoured weaponry if such a rickety bridge.  The corporate trolls are calculating the blocked bridge will allow the construction to continue. And they are doing it with reckless disregard of human safety and dignity.

Sophia Wilansky had been hit by a concussion grenade. The Morton County Sheriff's dispatcher said that police only used nonlethal weapons against the protesters. So didn't deny using concussion grenades.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13289615.png

She was handing out water.

This is what nonlethal looks like:  Doesn't mean noninjury:

I was WRONG when I assumed the police the serve and protect. I was being naive and living in a fantasy world. I was clearly wrong to think that.

The police do not neutrally enforce the law because the law itself is not neutral. We live in a world of Hegel , where  is not the the state that serves the people but that the people are a means to and end to serve the state.  (Nationalism)

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13289642.jpg

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13286756_f1024.jpg

This is a map of pipelines in America  ,  How many tires and vehicles  do we burn  in protest , how many are too many ?
    At what point is a  protesting burning and  rioting environmentally  unsafe , unethical  ?   Who IS the worst abuser , the potential pipeline accident or the  deliberate protester ?

5. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 7 years ago

North Dakota could be Canada last harishima like in Ft. McMurray Alt. The native there had the worst health issues in the country. The fracking cause all water too dangerous to drink you could actually lite it on fire. The carbon dioxide in the air was worst than all the cars in Canada. About 1/3 of the building in Ft. McMurray were fire rain on and burnt them to the ground. Now the town is turning into a ghost town like many towns before them and clean up will never be done. An all round loose/loose.

Good luck with Trump's fracking , as the aim is more crowd control than healthy, happy people singing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)