Improve Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Anita Hasch profile image58
    Anita Haschposted 7 years ago

Could you please advise how I can improve my hub 'The World's Most tragic Dam Disaster,' so that this hub can be featured. 
    hubpages.com/travel/The-Worlds-Most-Tragic-Dam-Disaster

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

What's your reason for wanting to improve?  Is it because it didn't pass QAP, or because it's being considered for a niche site?

The first thing I notice is that you have lots of extra white space, either before or after headings. Edit each capsule and make sure there aren't any extra returns at the end of the capsule.

The pictures need capsules, and I think the dramatic final picture should be your first picture to open the Hub.

Anita Haschposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I want all my hubs to pass QAP. I will change the photo's around. Good idea.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just noted I typed capsules when I meant captions.  The photos need captions.

Thanks Marisa, will add captions. Thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.

3. Omar Eldamsheety profile image74
    Omar Eldamsheetyposted 7 years ago

The title is very important ... make it a shinny title with few strong words .
    Put a very impressive picture.
    make your hub with no grammar mistakes.
    make it full of good meanings.

Thank you Omar. Will check it once again. Do you perhaps have a better
      idea for this title.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The best way to choose your title, for ANY Hub, is to ask yourself, "what would people be typing into Google if they were looking for information about this?"

Would they be searching for "world's most tragic dam disaster"?   If so, then that is a good title.  However, I tried typing that into Google slowly, to give the auto-complete time to come up - and it didn't.  That is a strong signal that NO ONE is searching for that title.  So it's possibly the worst title you could pick! 

It looks like people do search for "Vajont Dam Disaster" so you should use that in your title, you can add some extra words if you like.

I notice you've moved the disaster photo up to the top, that's good - but you've put a heading (above the photo) instead of a caption (under the photo).   In general, it's best to leave the heading above the photo blank, use the caption instead because it helps with Google.

Don't have two pictures together at the top of the Hub.  Have the top photo, then some text, then the next photo.

4. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 7 years ago

1) Get the year, day, and month of the tragedy, along with the location of the dam disaster into the title. It will make the title longer, but people will be able to find your piece that way. It could look something like this:

MM/DD/YYYY, Longarone, Italy: The World's Most Tragic Dam Disaster

I put in the month, day, and year like that because I couldn't really tell the date or dates of the dam disaster from your article without hunting around to different sentences and doing some math. Don't make your readers do math, give them straightforward dates.

2) Capitalize your title and subtitles using APA style guidelines. You can find a title capitalization tool at http://capitalizemytitle.com/ that will capitalize your title properly for you just by plugging it into the box provided and clicking on the APA tab.

3) Keep all answers to polls in the same sort of style and format so they are easier for readers to understand. I'd suggest changing your first poll option from "Should locals be consulted when building large dams" to something more like "Yes, the locals should have been consulted before such a massive dam was constructed" so it matches the way the other two poll options are phrased.

4) List the death toll in numbers, comparing it with that of the next-to-the-worst dam disaster. I couldn't find the death toll for the tragedy or the number of people injured anywhere in your article.

5) Explain what R14 million from 1963 (the year of the disaster) is in today's money and also in today's American dollars. Otherwise, young people and Americans will have little idea of how much money that was. 

6) Write more and give more details including names and descriptions of the locale before the disaster. While the hub is over a thousand words, it feels brief and rushed because it's such a huge, horrible disaster that played out over a period of weeks from first signs to its culmination and involved hundreds (or thousands, I couldn't tell) of people whose lives were lost or utterly changed. Don't worry about boring people, because they came to your page to get details! Give them more people's names, names of the businesses or government agencies responsible for building the dam and more description of the town before the disaster.

7) Tell the stories of individuals and families caught in the flood. People want to feel the human impact and, other than the story about the girl on her balcony, the article doesn't touch on any specific individual tragedies or miracles. Dig in and get some more stories about what happened to individual people on that awful day. People can understand those individual stories on a deeper level than they can relate to the overall story of the whole city. They want to read about what people experienced, felt, and did, otherwise, it's all just numbers and concepts.

5. Anita Hasch profile image58
    Anita Haschposted 7 years ago

Thank you Kylyssa, for going to such trouble to assist me with my hub. I really appreciate it. Will do as you say.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)