Where IS the Accountability.......Responsibility?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13010811.jpg
    When will some Americans come to the realization that if they want to live the good life socioeconomically, they must work for it?  Why do some people believe that society & others owe them an affluent life?  When do we stop such socioeconomic leeches who are liabilities?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

GM Williams,
      Its backwards the way you describe it. Laziness comes from being forced to work against one's will. The will is activated by oneself (one's own self) in freedom and freedom only. This society is so in the habit of forcing everyone to do this and that, to be this and that. Expectations, "shoulds" and "you MUSTs" are destructive to the will, the psyche and the innate sense of joy of life every person is born with. When parents, teachers and governments stop their control-freak ways we will not have moochers amongst us. Moochers are actually rebells. They will not be forced. They are unmotivated.
      Where did their motivation go?
      That is the question isn't it????
      I know the answer but no one is probably that interested because it would mean listening to a new way of dealing with children. Who wants to get to the bottom of things?
      Not adults. They just want to …..

1. profile image0
        threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am interested Kathyrn. What is the answer from your perspective? How does it involve children?

gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

To surmise, children should be taught to be self-motivated early.  Self-motivation goes a long way.  Also encourage children to exercise initiative & independence.   Teach them to be accountable & responsible for their actions.  Also teach them to make wise decisions regarding education, career, & socioeconomics.   Teach them that if they want something, smart work is the key.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Easier said than done - todays kids that are given anything they want have a hard time learning responsibility or any kind of work, let alone smart work.  A product of increasing socio-economic family status and the desire that our kids have more than we did.

Well that has nothing to do with it at all.  I grew up in good socioeconomic circumstances & my parents taught me the value of smart work.   I believe in EARNING what I want.   This is opposed to some of my relatives who are moochers to this day & they GREW UP in lower socioeconomic circumstances.  They want THAT GOOD LIFE but refuse to sacrifice for it, instead they ask the MORE AFFLUENT relatives to support them.  In fact, they LIVE FREE of them.  I worked for what I have as an adult & never asked my parents for anything at all once I finished college.   I worked several temporary jobs when the employment situation was precarious in the late 70s.  This influences my attitude towards having no excuses, tough love, & doing for self. If one wants a helping hand-LOOK AT THE END OF ONE'S ARM.  My parents could have given me but I BELIEVE IN EARNING MY WAY, IT IS SO MUCH BETTER.   Now that I am middling class, I make do.   If I want more, I will find a job..........It is laziness to ask that others support one as an adult!

P.S. I wanted to work a summer job when I graduated from high school; however, my parents wanted to send me to Hawaii but I opted for the summer job.  I was one of a few middle class children who worked, the rest were lower income.  The lower income children DIDN'T want to be there.  They cursed their parents & cursed us middle class children, calling us stupid for wanting to work.  I wanted to work & enjoyed it & learned something.   Many of the lower income children were fired w/n a week but we middle class children lasted the whole summer.   I also knew upper class children who had summer jobs from the time they were in high school until the time they graduated college.   So stop w/the stereotyping that solidly middle, upper middle, & upper class children don't want to work because of their socioeconomic circumstances while poor children willingly work.  Such isn't the case.  Many poor children HATE their parents because the latter couldn't provide for them.  I have heard poor children curse their parents from elementary school to college.  They HATED their parents for putting them in such dire socioeconomic situations.

The people who I am addressing that don't have accountability nor responsibility are POOR PEOPLE! They got into dire socioeconomic situations by acting & thinking mindlessly.  However, they want to LIVE AFFLUENTLY.  So instead of sacrificing & planning for it, they EXPECT, even DEMAND that their MORE AFFLUENT relatives support them.   For instance, my extended maternal family- aunts, uncles, & some cousins.  Out of 10 siblings(my mother), ONLY 3 siblings are affluent, the rest are poor of their own choosing.   Those siblings expect that the more affluent siblings give them that affluent lifestyle.  My father called them leeches & parasites.   No one of those siblings made any effort to improve themselves educationally nor career-wise.   They have even more opportunities than my mother who EARNED her way through.  However, they preferred to coast through life, living off assorted relatives.  Such parasitic behavior is quite commonplace in large families I find.  In small families, such behavior is non-existent.  People in small families are highly independent, working & earning their way.  In large families, there are always siblings who are socioeconomic leeches or parasites.  There is NO large family where ALL siblings are successful & self-sufficient-NONE!

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Seen too many kids, both poor and rich, to think that having whatever they want given to them teaches a kid the value of work.  But almost all the poor ones learned it the hard way. 

Of course, I haven't had a lot of contact with today's brand of welfare Mama's and the kids they raise.  Maybe being poor is now teaching a kid NOT to work.

2. profile image0
                threekeysposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would like to come in here and say- children did not ask to be born. This is the parents doing/fault.Where you said Grace, that the children now hate their parents for bringing them into the world? I can understand and I don't blame them. Just because one can have sex doesnt mean you are parent material. I am of the thought now that people should not have children if they cannot socioeconomically provide for them or coach them in a way so that they become a contributing/productive member of society. Note-a child had no say in the matter of being born.

To Three Keys, +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

In the first place,
    They did actually choose to come here. They have a plan for thier lives, they have a purpose for entering this playing field. If you observe a child he has natural incinations and propensities.

Then,
    In public school a child becomes one of the large community of children herded through with carrots for good grades and a single promise: his choice of top universities ... if he will just study hard, excel at some sport for the sake of a scholarship and eventual acceptance into … roll the drums:

Higher education … yes, after being forced to work, study and test for those grades he is further forced to obtain a degree for the sake of the degree itself. The process meant nothing. Only that Degree(s). And then they finally graduate. They have never activated their own wills. Their own wills have been shut down from the time they entered kindergarten. This you call "education."

Not.

3. colorfulone profile image76
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

After reading this conversation, my thoughts brought me to read Ecclesiastes 4 once again. 

Trying to catch the wind.  For some it is better they were never born?  That's what it says in the Scriptures.  That is a hard word, that puts my head on tilt, so I need to gain understanding.

Grace, I believe you have excellent work ethics.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If things go drastically wrong the first six years, it would be as the scriptures proclaim. The psyche is set the first six years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdZ1r_YVpA

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

The first six years are the most crucial. For instance, if I adopted a black child at infancy and let him grow up in my neighborhood and go to the schools of my choice in my area, he will grow up seeming exactly like a white child. He will have no inferiority complex about "being black" and he will not be picked on or ridiculed or discriminated against in any way whatsoever. Actually, I would gladly like to prove this theory.
    Wish I could, but it is impractical.
    Also, it has probably been done.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)