When is it ok to meet someone in person from a dating site?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)
  1. ForeverHeather profile image60
    ForeverHeatherposted 12 years ago

There are some who prefer to meet straight away and others after they have gotten to know each other over a few days/weeks.

Some people say if you meet up right away it doesn't waste time.

Do you need a phone call first? lots of online chat and emails?

What do you think?

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I primarily date from online because I'm just not into bars or clubs and me walking up to a woman at the gym or grocery store seems a bit creepy. from my experience I like to meet after the first few texts or calls and usually within the first two weeks. Mainly so that there is not a huge build up of expectations. Since there is no build up, then the pressure is off and we can (presumably) just be ourselves and fun on the date.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've done that recently..sort of...I didn't actually go thru with the date..and I find real aholes on the net. Real sex greeedy mf*****ers!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Meet right away, for coffee or a drink in a safe public place - particularly if you know you're an romantic, optimistic kind of person.

If you spend time emailing or chatting to the other person, it just gives you time to romanticise them and get your hopes up.  Until you meet them in person you can't make an accurate decision so why put it off?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

again...it seems to waste time on these sites..even the christian ones only want sex. It seems.....and if you put on your profile you are a Christian woman who seeks friendship first, you get NO responses.

2. kmackey32 profile image62
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I have never dated online and dont think I would ever and I dont go to bars. Meeting someone online is creepy to me. What if they are a killer or something. lol

I kill bugs. But not for a living.

1. kmackey32 profile image62
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Huh? Bugs? What kind of bugs? lol I am blonde ya know....

mostly like spiders, flies, roaches, gnats, ants.. pesky ones if they interfere with my life on some level or try to get into my home.

1. thighhighchick profile image60
            thighhighchickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate spiders. Dont know what a Roach looks like except the ones I have burnt. LOL

Oh my goodness roaches are AWFUL! Be so very glad you don't know what they are. the worst ones are the ones that fly!! 

I'd post a picture but they are so disgusting to look at that I don't wanna.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I met my husband online...LOL  He wasn't the slightest bit creepy.  We got married four months later.  Our third anniversary will be in August.  We met in person six days after we made our initial contact and haven't been apart since.

Sometimes, it just works. 

big_smile

I supose sometimes but I dont want to take the chance of meeting a killer...lol

1. profile image0

You could meet a killer that lives next door...lol  But, I totally get where you're coming from.  I think you just need to be very careful no matter where/how you meet someone.  I was blessed.  Not only was he everything I hoped for, but it was all genuine.

big_smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

where do you meet men, pray tell

2. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71

Wow! 4 months later! That's is awesome!

Id never marry that quick.. It could be a trick. He may wanna steel all your money and sell your stuff and then kill you for the insurance. lol

1. profile image0

LMAO - We haven't had a penny since we've been together!  We've had lots of life experience though.  Lots of tears, lots of laughs, lots of smiles...but no money...haha!  And, no insurance to speak of.  He'd be screwed if he killed me. Not rich, just lonely.

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

lol lol lmfao!!

2. profile image0

It is.  big_smile  He's more than I ever expected when I posted a simple ad on craigslist.  It was fate, destiny, whatever you want to call it...but it was most definitely meant to be.

OH how long have you been married now?

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

I think we'll be single forever.

3. ubanichijioke profile image75
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

I think the best time is when you have come to know the true person. Ask questions about him or her. If you wanna meet, choose an open place. Thanks

ForeverHeatherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*like*

4. noland1977 profile image61
    noland1977posted 12 years ago

Speaking from experience, you really have to feel like you know the person and trust in that.  Move from emails, chats or IM's to talking on the phone.  If, when you have heard your prospective partner's voice, you still feel good about it, arrange a meeting in a public place and go from there.  The fact is, it's right and okay to meet someone only after you get that good vibe from it.  With the internet, it's just to dangerous to go meeting anyone based on a few written lines...

5. CyclingFitness profile image88
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

I've met a few womenb from internet dating sites and i'd say you have to go into things very open minded

I'd recommend speaking on the phone at least once before you meet up- that assures you that it's a genuine person.

Sometimes it's best just to go for it- tell people where you're going and have someone call you at a set time as a check if required (say 30 mins into the date)

Never allow them to pick you up from home on a first date. Always meet them somewhere public.

ForeverHeatherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, an easy going but sensible approach like this works the best in my case...
      public place for sure!

1. Dawn the Chip profile image56
        Dawn the Chipposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I met my man on a dating site, we talked all day on the internet, then arranged to meet the next day, he phoned me in the morning so we had a verbal chat, met fell in love and have been together now for 18months. We have just got engaged and are going to get married next year. I never believed this could happen. I would definitely say meet straight away, you can love someones mind but you need that xfactor spark, and its a huge disappointment if you meet someone you have been talking to for ages only to find that you physically find them unattractive.

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

They say God sends someone your way and my gf has been waiting 15+ yrs.

roll

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

Then again...after breaking up and all the process of doing things for yourself, etc

I suppose when you become in better shape -for you- and get confidence

and become more successful...then  you attract good people?

8. DoctorDate profile image61
    DoctorDateposted 12 years ago

I'm going on 150 dates in 1 year strictly from online dating so I have a bit of experience. lol

This is how it usually happens.

1. We email back and forth. Usually about 3 emails each. I ask for her number then she sends it.

2. I call. I usually don't plan a date during the first call. I usually wait until the 2nd call. That's so we're both comfortable.

3. I set up the date.

That's it. smile

9. Mohamed Aamer profile image61
    Mohamed Aamerposted 7 years ago

When it comes to buying gifts for women, men are notoriously gullible. They buy women trinkets (and even big ticket items) on a whim, in the hopes of buying her affection. Carlos Xuma, renowned dating advisor, tells men how to handle the delicate art of gift-giving.

10. profile image61
    sushiboyposted 7 years ago

I think it's just case by case. If you are using a reputable dating site, then it's just a matter of assessing each person as they come along. Because I'm a guy, I understand that there is a greater risk to the woman that I am corresponding with. So pursuing the matter, in the first instance, by email (often an internal date site system) is a safe option and shows a measure of respect. You can also pose and answer a multitude of questions (and let's face it, there are many) before any kind of face to face.

I met my wife through a dating site that I had been using on and off for about two years. It was not an easy process but I never regretted a date nor any correspondence I had with anyone. In the final instance, my (future) wife and I sent half a dozen emails to each other and then met in a very public place on a Sunday. From there it was a matter of slowly getting to know each other and then, falling in love. This is not a fairytale, it's hard work, but it can work out for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)