We need more details on why hubs are not being featured please!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. lizstevens profile image47
    lizstevensposted 9 years ago

For those who are no newbie to HUB Pages you probably share the same frustrations of working for hours on a hub only to be insulted with the friendly heads up message sending you back to a tutorial about writing rich content hubs.  It's like were playing some type of hide and seek game to find the reason the hub is being  rejected.  Why?

Most of the time you can change just one word, re-title the hub or change a picture and the hub goes featured.  But if you have a product with an unusually word the electronic edit police seem to snub it as misspelled or inappropriate word. Just try publishing a hub about Garden Hoes.  Change it to Garden Tools and it goes featured.

One would think that after hundreds  of successful published hubs that Hub Pages could at least send you a friendly heads up also showing the item(s) tripping the edits.

At one time you could respond back and get an answer of what the issue was, now it's like they hide behind some secret address like spammers.   Really!  You have to post in a forum to get someones attention or an answer.

I can't imagine how many people are spending hours and hours rewriting a hub just because of one little glitch the electronic edits don't like.

Hub Pages please respect the time and efforts of your hubbers and expand the edits to at least share back what the issue(s) are that might be preventing a hub from being featured.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Unless it is because of lack of traffic (which happens often) don't expect an answer coming anytime soon (besides the usual link pointing you to the Q/A section) by those who actually work for HP and by others who think they do......lol

Read the hub again and see if there are errors in grammar etc, how long it is, does it have links, videos , pictures etc...Just think of how it could be made better.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Liz, you've been with the site for five years and have over 300 Hubs.  How do you not know how this site works?

Hubs are scanned by robots/programs automatically, and your content is being run through a series of filters checking for triggers.  Trip one and you don't get published.  Fix it and you do.

If you want detailed human editing, you either need to hire yourself an editor or learn the skills yourself.  You can't expect a handful of humans (moderator staff) to give you detailed feedback when they have (literally) millions of Hubs to manage.

lizstevensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not asking for human editing.  I could hire 3 people and still get bumped because of one minor edit or picture issue.  If the robots are smart enough to detect it would seem they could just as easy give auto feedback on what they are detecting and  tripping.

My point exactly.  With over 300 hubs I still get bumped because the edits. Have to spend additional hours trying to figure out what the issue is.  Exhausting!

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't seem to be having the issues you do with editing, either with tripping filters (maybe once or twice per year) and the fixes take just a few moments.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Due to the sheer number of Hubs created each day it is difficult to provide specific feedback for each Hub.

Here are some tips for making great Hubs and improving your existing ones.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … y-of-a-Hub

In general, try to aim for an 8 or higher on this table.
      http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

You can also post to the "Improving Your Hub" forum here and get feedback from other authors.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2885

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Matt, I think what Liz is really asking is this:

When the automatic filters are triggered by a word or phrase, clearly it "knows" what that word or phrase is.  Is there any way that could then be included in the email which is sent to the Hubber?

lizstevensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, you got it!  I'm not asking for the staff to make the reviews.  Just set the edits to share back some clues on the triggered item(s).   Just give us something more than the message being sent now.

Based on the amount of growing chatter in the forums on the topic of getting a hub featured I don't believe that I'm out here alone on an island either. 

It's  like we're playing a  game of chess with a robot that keeps changing the game day by day.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70
            Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification.
            If you think that your Hub has triggered an automatic content filter, please email team at hubpages dot com and we can look into it further and determine if we need to change the filters in any way.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Whew! It is nice to see feedback from the admins on queries asked by hubbers. Giving links to specific problems is a heads up. I enjoy seeing relache's straightforward comments though, but getting it straight from the horses mouth is a big boost! Heheh!

I am reading around, and nice to see threads like this one.

writer_csm

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, that one's obvious. The word Hoes has another meaning.  It's like the time someone got unpublished for writing a Hub about Garden Butts. 

Are you saying that your emails to team@HubPages are going unanswered?   If so, that's another issue and I suggest you post another thread about it so it gets attention.  Personally I think a proper Help Desk system is long overdue!

5. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a look through half a dozen of your hubs. For some reason, only very hubs were coming up - somewhere betwee. 15 months and 3 years. I couldn't find anything recent but.maybe it was because I am using my phone and not my laptop.

That said, you are using a style that doesn't fit with hub specifications - ,all of which are clearly set out in the help section.

Your hubs are too short.
      They are not laid out in a visually pleasing way.
      You have no sources.
      You have no videos.
      You have no polls.

In addition, most of your hubs appear to be about products. Those days are gone.

Hope that helps.

2. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 9 years ago

You totally have a point here. Even though we have to admit Hubpages does an amazing job on detecting the copied Hubs, or not well written ones, anyway it gets really annoying when your Hub is not featured because of quality for example, and you have to try every single photo to find the one who is lacking quality according to Hubpages. Or even to find the word that does not go along with the whole Hub. Exhausting sometimes! Especially when the email arrives at a time you can not get access to a computer, but you need to immediately edit your Hub to become featured! At least, they have to tell us where is that we wronged.

3. Akwasi Maru profile image67
    Akwasi Maruposted 7 years ago

I agree, it is very frustrating to figure out exactly what's wrong with your hub. I'm sitting up here playing a guessing game with my hubs. I end up deleting items that may not even be the problem.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to play a guessing game, you just need to understand the rules.  I have a Hub which summarises them all, you can find it on the slider on my profile.  Study it, understand it, and apply it and you shouldn't have any problems working out what the issue is.

And if you get an email about it, use the link on that email to post on the forums to ask for help from others. 

Finally, if we're talking about Hubs that are unFeatured - check to make sure WHY they're unFeatured.  If it's for Traffic, then you haven't broken any rules, it's just not getting enough readers.   The only way to change that is to try to improve and expand the Hub to attract more visitors.

2. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And please don't bump old threads smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)