Fat shaming and obesity.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (34 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

This hub is not garnering as much traffic as I had hoped. What do you think the issues are?

http://hubpages.com/health/Obesity-deni … tification

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image95
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think it's fine. Don't worry Tess. One or two of my hubs don't have enough traffic as well. But sometimes they get a lot of views. Depends actually. smile

TessSchlesingerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying to make each of those articles that already get some traffic to be the best they an be. smile

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The Google keyword planning tool shows that "fast shaming" is a phrase with a lot of searches.

https://adwords.google.com/ko/KeywordPl … er=0#start

The tool shows some related phrases that might work well in the article and subheads, such as "what is fat shaming" and "fat shaming definition".

FYI, I believe fat shaming is not hyphenated. The hyphen might be one reason why Google isn't ranking it higher. You might also make sure that "fat shaming" appears at least three or four times in the article, but not too much more.

I also noticed the URL page address is different from the title. The URL has "obesity denial" in it but not fat shaming, while the title has fat shaming and not obesity denial. Google sees those two differences as conflicting signals.

I also suggest a photo at the top of the article for immediate visual interest to attract more engagement and time on page.

Okay, I can fix all of that except the url. What do you suggest? That I redo the article under another url? I've altered the title to say fat shaming and obesity denial. What do you think now?

Also put a photo on topl smile

thank you for your input.

1. profile image0

The keyword tool shows about 12,000 searches on fat shaming but only a small number for obesity denial. So I would emphasize fat shaming in anything you do with the article.

Changing the URL is a tougher problem. I don't see that option in the edit mode. You might send an email to the HP staff asking if you can republish under another URL.

Glad to help!

Yup. Sent off an email. I have a feeling it can't be done, in which case I'll have to lose what I have gained so far and just redo it. It was one of those hubs where I had all the ideas in my head but hadn't settled on a title yet. I wish they would enable us to change urls.

2. simplehappylife profile image68
        simplehappylifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great points promisem!  There's no way around the url issue...you'd have to unpublish and copy it over to a new hub (yes, each capsule at a time). 

I have a bunch of conflicting titles and urls (sometimes I change my mind with wording after the fact), but I'm not having many issues with lack of traffic at the moment.  However, I hear what your saying promise, and am definitely keeping that in the forefront of my thinking from this point on.

1. profile image0

Thanks, SHL. I would republish (assuming HP allows it) only if the article has poor rank and traffic. Otherwise, Google would have to index and rank it all over again.

Republishing an existing article with high rank for the sake of getting it higher is a risky step.

Congrats on the strong traffic!

1. simplehappylife profile image68

You're Welcome smile  and Thanks Again.  While many of them have a good amount traffic, I do have a few that could use doing a little better (that aren't on network niche sites).  I may consider doing as you suggest.  In the end, it could pay off. 

Thanks Again!

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 7 years ago

Hi Tess,
    David Cameron has not been UK Prime Minister or leader of his party since July 2016. Perhaps you could change the first paragraph slightly so that you don't need to keep updating it every time there's an election here? His view (which was his personal opinion only and wasn't ever adopted as party or government policy) doesn't really add anything to your article which reads well without the opening sentence referring to him.

Brillaint. You're absolutely right. Thanks  I knew I needed another set of eyees on this. smile

3. Leonard Tillerman profile image94
    Leonard Tillermanposted 7 years ago

Other than the point which was made about David Cameron in the last post, I think this is a brilliant hub.  It has a wealth of information and a very attractive design.  I am quite new here but have found the traffic I receive is directly related to the amount I market it.  If I publicize it on social media it tends to get a lot of traffic.  If I don't...the traffic is pretty small.

Hope you have a wonderful day.

Leonard.

Leonard, no. A good hub doesn't nee marketing. The first time I was on hubpages, one of my hub routinely got somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 views a day. I didn't publicize. Currently I have a few hubs that get decent traffc. I don't publlicize them.

Good hubs get traffic because people are looking for that topic and Google has put one's hub at the top of the Google search engine. Google does that when one's article is the 'best fit' for the search question. However, it is very difficult to get Google to select one's hub because there are thousands of people writing about the same thing out there.

My hub isn't being picked up by Google very much and I'm trying to figure out why. smile

4. simplehappylife profile image68
    simplehappylifeposted 7 years ago

Hey Tess smile 

I manage a simple living facebook page (beauty, spiritual, money, every subject really) to help simplify life.  I'm sharing your article right now smile  Let's see in a couple of hours if that helped smile

Thank you. That is kind of you. I have found that if an article catches on on facebook (or pinterest) it becomes an evergreen. Just never been able to figure out a formula to do that!

You're Welcome smile  I hope it helps smile 

A great way to catch people's attention would be to use the pic of the girls with healthy bodies.  It's much more eye-catching than the body diagram.  I just think you'd get more hits with it like that.  If you decide to change it, let me know and I'll repost with that image.  The default pic is your first pic, I would just switch those pic positions out so the girls are the first pic.  Then it will show up as the main article pic when shared smile

Excellent point. I am usually very aware of that and am super careful with my first picture. In retrospect, it was a serious topic from an unsual perspective and I didn't want to put a pretty picture upfront. But you're right. I'll change that as well. smile

I find with facebook that, for reasons I can't figure out, that once one puts up a hub, forever afterwards, it uses the original picture. It works that way for other links as well. Not quite sure why that is. Does your fb page change the picture to the updated one?

I'm not sure, but I'll try smile  and let you know of course smile

or maybe use a pic (if you can find one) that shows a girl looking in the mirror?  just an idea

I'll check it out - tomorrow. smile Thanks for your help. I knew there was something not quite working on that article. smile

You're Welcome smile  Yeah, it's a great topic and article smile

Hi, I changed it, but when I posted it on Google Plus, it had the old picture. Please can you repost for me and see if the old picture still comes up. Much obliged. smile

I'll go try right now smile

nope, it pulls the same image.  I don't want to delete the original post anyway.  There is a share and 19 people reached on it right now.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Yup. They're wonderful. ;smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)