They took my ads away!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Msmillar profile image90
    Msmillarposted 7 years ago

Ok, here it is.  Hubpages edited some of my hubs to "make them better" so they can be featured and moved to vertical sites.  If I undo their "corrections" I risk having that hub removed from the featured status.  When I have reviewed their "corrections" I noticed they had removed my Amazon ads, all of them on each hub they "corrected".  So, I'm thinking, "How am I going to get anything if they remove all of the ads?"  Ads, by the way, that were perfectly suited for the article.  Since I didn't want my hubs removed from the featured status or promotional status I didn't re-apply the ads.  I've made absolutely nothing, ZERO, zilch, in a year now from Amazon because of hubpages removing the ads.  How is this right?  Am I supposed to balance whether promotion outweighs profit and choose which I want?  I feel like I've been fleeced by farmer hubpages.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Were your amazon ads the text link (anchor text) variety? They really want you to use the text/anchor links to amazon.com.  But they might have felt like the amazon links you had, regardless of what style they were, weren't specifically relevant to the content of the page.

Another thing is they want you to only do amazon ads when you specifically say why it is that product is great. So you have to be sure you wrote about why that exact product was a great thing. But of course I never saw your page.

You can ad some amazon back into your page. But you need to be kinda stingy with those ads. And of course they may not particularly like it if you do ad any back in. You should have got an email about the edit. Be sure you read that email carefully. Anyway, best wishes.

Msmillarposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The ads were absolutely relevant.  I wrote about spark plugs and placed an amazon ad for spark plugs.  I wrote about thermostats and I placed an Amazon ad linking to thermostats. 
        All the ads were removed.  I say all, there were only two, Amazon and Ebay.
        It's irritating because they were my best viewed hubs and all the ads were removed. So for a year I've received nothing.

Yes, I did get the email about the edit.  That's how I found out about the ads being removed.  That's what I mean.  If I remove the ads, I risk having the hub down graded.  So its really up to whether I want the revenue or the status.

1. ChristinS profile image39
            ChristinSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So try this - mention perhaps a specific brand of spark plugs you have experience with that you know are far superior to others and why they are.  That is specific to the hub and more likely to not get cut.  I know that's frustrating, but on hubs I've done that with I've had no problem with my ads remaining on those hubs and even being moved/featured etc.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

"So for a year I´ve received nothing"
          Are you saying that they took your ads away a year ago, or no one has even bought from your ads in the last year?
          If no one is even buying from the ads anyway, they are snipping and moving your ad not so that you have higher status--it is so that you will have higher earnings.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78
      CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I am also upset. HP seems to want to remove ALL amazon capsules.  I am aware of the policy and only include amazon for highly relevant products. It was annoying when the ads were removed when my hub went to a niche site, but now HP sent me a notice that my new hub could not be featured until the capsule was removed.

I have another hub on a niche website. It is my best earner both for views and for sales on amazon.HP wanted me to remove the ad. I protested and showed them how it was obviously relevant because people were buying it every month. They said an editor had been over zealous and allowed me to put the amazon capsule back. Now they just took the capsule off and this time they won't allow me to put it back.

A lot of my new hubs do not have amazon capsules. I only put one on when it adds something for the reader. I write about science, philosophy, and intellectual discussions about religion. The kind of people who read these essays are the kind of people who like to read books. So I include a relevant book, sometimes one I have read.

I think HP is taking this too far!!!!!

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Catherine,
        You said it, but you have to like HP told me about my non-sexual hub about "Fighting sexual harassment in the workplace," AdSense is much to credit or blame for screw-up's like this and HP is caught in the middle.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they can't prevent you putting it back.   It IS possible they might demote the Hub back to the main HP site, so you have to decide whether to take that risk.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

I know I can get off the niche site and I don't want that to happen. Most of my hubs seem to gain only a little by being on the niche site, but this one doubled and tripled. I can't say for sure if it was the move to the niche site or just coincidence.

And since I got snipped before HP would feature a new hub, I am concerned that my best earning hubhub could get unfeatured as well as removed from the niche site.

3. Robert Sacchi profile image86
        Robert Sacchiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It seems if the price of a niche site is giving up capsules that are making sales the price it too high.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78

I need to correct the record. It was not my top earner hub that was snipped. I got confused. Sorry

2. Msmillar profile image90

I had a pretty good roll coming in from Amazon up until the ads were removed.  Then, nothing.  I waited to see if it was just an off holiday fluke or something, but it continued.  I was concerned about putting the ads back, I didn't want to lose status, but I've lost a good income in exchange for the status!  Last night I went through some of my hubs, my best ones, and put the ads back in.  We'll see if they revenue starts up again.

3. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 7 years ago

We are fine with articles containing Amazon products.  However, you should have personal experience with the product and tell us why you are recommending it.  Ask yourself if you'd include the product if there wasn't a financial gain, if the answer is yes, then leave your personal recommendation and the product.  It is a good idea to leave it in-text if possible.  Some articles have a commercial nature where others don't.  We discourage Hubbers adding products that they don't really recommend just because the product matches the content.  This isn't really helpful to your readers.  They can go to Amazon directly for that.  I hope the explanation helps—I know it's frustrating to see articles snipped, but we think that it is important for the overall health of the sites.

I don't mind the snipping, I actually like it, I can learn from it.  When I have an article completely written about an item, let's say, spark plugs, I'm going to put an ad on my hub so my readers can click on it and purchase a spark plug, because that's what the whole hub was about, spark plugs. 
      I've had a zero income from Amazon ever since my ads were snipped. It appears to me that my readers liked the ads because they were using them.
      I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just saying....

This is hilarious, my hubber score dropped to 93 the day after I posted this. For three years my score has always been 94, now I complain and I'm a 93, too weird.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think you're reading too much into that!   One point is nothing, and your score is extremely respectable.

I agree with you that HubPages' attitude to Amazon products is too strict - BUT it is their site and they are entitled to make the editorial decisions.

They've chosen to be super-strict with the new niche sites because they've been slapped by Google in the past and it's crunch time now - they must make these niche sites profitable. They've tried everything and can't recover traffic to the main site, so they are the future.   So they are going far beyond what Google says is acceptable today, in an attempt to avoid future slaps when the rules change.

I find it annoying too, but like I say, it's their site. 

As Robin says, you can definitely put Amazon products in Hubs.  The product must be directly related to the TITLE of the Hub and you must also say why you are personally recommending that particular brand or model of whatever-it-is.  Put your Amazon product back in, following those rules, and you'll have no problems.

4. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 7 years ago

It occurs to me that some Editors may be snipping modules (because HP don't want to see modules any more) - but wouldn't mind if the same item was there as a TEXT link.

So why not tell the author if that's the case?

5. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 7 years ago

I found this post after searching HP for this issue. Over the last couple months I tried to figure out why some articles weren't featured even though they contained the proper amount of pics, words, decent grammar, etc. As I resubmitted articles they started getting snipped to get featured. The only thing being snipped was the Amazon ads.

One article for example was using Mobicosa to treat Fibromyalgia symptoms. I placed an amazon ad with the Mobicosa Gel, which I have personal experience using, and talked about in the article. Yet it was snipped. So this excuse that things are removed because they aren't related to the article is not accurate.

I would also like to know if referral links are still allowed as long as there is not more than one per article? I tried to message HP when they wouldn't feature the article before, and I got a generic message back, but when I asked for clarity I was not responded to.

So what exactly are we allowed to do? If anchored links is the new requirement, why still offer Amazon capsules? There never seems to be exact answers to these kind of things.

I do sometimes wonder if the editors are paying attention when they snip ads. 

The safest way to use the Amazon capsule is to put your personal recommendation in the "description" section of the capsule.  If you mention the product in the text, they might miss it when they're skimming.

1. Annsalo profile image85
        Annsaloposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is a valid point I didn't think of. I did not have a description in it.

2. Msmillar profile image90

Someone that knows what I'm talking about! @ Annsalo, isn't that irritating when an ad that is important to your article is pulled out?  I feel like I'm leaving my readers hung out to dry if I don't put an ad or a link to the product I'm talking about! 
      I suppose there must be some stress for the reviewers considering ALL the hubs we write.  Reading and snipping them all is a job I don't think I'd want. But before pulling ads, check for the product in the article first.

6. Susan Hambidge profile image95
    Susan Hambidgeposted 7 years ago

I have had some Amazon ads removed by HP, but I have also done some of my own recently. I have done this because I realised I dislike reading articles on the internet that are smothered in adverts myself, and in fact can sometimes just leave the site if ads become too distracting. I can't be the only one? So why would I then litter my hubs with ads?

The ones I have left are those which are specifically linked to the product I am writing about, such as Neem Oil on dogs, and I have left only one ad on the page. I do not think I have lost any sales since the time I had three Amazon ads on a hub, some with a very tentative link to the hub subject.

Try adding a single link and see if this works for you.

I agree whole hearted Susan!  Only put ads relevant to what you've written about. I only  place one ad on my hubs.  If it's a lengthy hub I might put two, but that's it. 
      I too, am getting really fed up with ads on websites that are pointless! I'm looking at car repair and some ad for underarm deodorant pops up! Stupid. I click out!  My hubs, when I'm writing about a tool, or method, I will put an ad pertaining to the item I used. So when my reader says,"That's what I need right there!" They can click on the ad.  No more, no crowding, no irrelevant ads.  Yet, on three hubs they pulled every single ad I had put on it.  One hub specifically said, "This is the tool you will need to do this job." And the ad was pulled.  I've gone back and put the ads back where they were. If this demotes me, so be it.  My readers convenience and trust for my suggestions are more important.

Like I said, the only advice I can give is that it's no longer enough to say, "this is the tool you need to do the job".  You need to say "this is the tool you need, and this is why I recommend this particular brand of that tool".

7. Robert Sacchi profile image86
    Robert Sacchiposted 7 years ago

If you were getting money from Amazon before it would make sense to put in the ads since it's unlikely you would get anywhere near as much revenue from hits alone.  Promotion isn't much good if it doesn't translate into money.

8. kenneth avery profile image80
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

Msmillar,
    Be thankful. At least HubPages did not tell you that your text was "unfit."

"Unfit"?  Do they really tell anyone that are you pulling my tail?  It would be hard to come across unfit with automotive repair. 
      I put one ad back in one of my hubs, and they pulled it out again.  So I put it back in using Ms Wrights suggestion with the wording.  We'll see if they pull it again.  I always saw Hubpages as a place that I could right how I like to write, about what I enjoy, and decorate it as I like.  If it doesn't do well, then that's on me.   It seems to have become Hubpages hubs now.  They want everyone to earn their maximum potential, and that's good, but it's turned into achieving maximum potential for their good, not ours.  I loved the Apprentice program they had.  I learned so much from that and it was a perfect opportunity for Hubpages to show people what kind of advertising works well, and what won't be acceptable.  Alas, it is gone now.  Hopefully they have something brewing to top the Apprentice program.  I know they work hard at making this site great for us and our readers!

9. profile image49
    Roland addoposted 7 years ago

yes thats true
    how are you doing

I'm just great. So far the ad I replaced with the extra, personal, endorsement is still there.  I'm finally making a decent income here! Yahoo!  Hubpages is my top earner, how about you?  I've tried several websites, but Hubpages out-earns everyone of them. I'm running out of ideas to write about though. I write best when it's a subject nobody else has written on, or there's little, or poor information on it. Kenneth has the blessing of being able to pull unique subjects out of a hat to right on.  I'm working on improving that skill in myself.

10. Msmillar profile image90

Okay, okay, okay.  What's up with the new mega editing thing?  My hubs are being so heavily rewritten that I didn't recognize two of them as mine!  Yep, the single Amazon ad I had was removed,so now I have no ads on the hubs!  My top hub, that was getting over 3,000 views was edited three times! Two times by a normal bot and then another time by a special edit.  The special edit reworded almost the entire hub!  I read the updates, I read the emails sent to me, I've done the apprentice program (albeit 3 yrs ago), so what has happened? My top earners weren't good enough suddenly?  It doesn't even  sound like me when I read it. I hope this doesn't cause a dive in my readership.  Do I put my ad back in that was absolutely specific to the article?  They're my hubs, gaining thousands of readers, why the onslaught?  It will be interesting to see how the statistics may turn after this heavy editing.

The editbots only change spelling and VERY occasionally, minor grammar hiccups. 

If you've had a HubPro edit, I'm surprised - I thought they'd stopped doing those.  Maybe they're starting again.  You can reject the changes, as you know, but it may mean it doesn't get moved to the niche site.   I chose not to accept the changes on one of mine, they had just made a mockery of it!

As for the Apprenticeship program - many of the precepts taught in that course are now out of date.  In fact, at the time, some of us felt they were already out of date.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, HubPro hasn't ended.  I just had a HubPro Basic done on one hub and the Premium version is working on another.

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.

11. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 7 years ago

Is anyone suspicious that they have an editing virus?

Hiccup, virus, something strsnge is going on that's for sure.  Not strange enough for me to leave Hubpages by any means, but irritating none the less.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)