Atlanta hits back after Trump’s attack on Lewis

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 7 years ago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-attac … 44389.html

This latest spat with Congressman John Lewis is another example of how Trump always comes off as a hot head with poor judgement, just what we need in the modern world.

Yes, Lewis 'started it' with his statement about the President-Elect's legitimacy. Many of us of the enlightened left have pondered that question, but I am resigned to accept the reality as it is today.

But, Trump needs to pick his battles more carefully. With the King holiday around the corner and the controversy surrounding Jeff Session's appointment as  Attorney General, this is not the kind of scrap that he needs right now. What do we have to do to get him to keep his mouth shut? Where is Yosemite Sam when you need him?

While Trump was getting his testicles waxed, Lewis risked his life in the civil rights struggles. But how do I compare Trump's vaunted 'financial courage' with this?
    The press and many conservatives criticizes Trump for his statements regarding Lewis. For many of us in the civil rights community and the supportive left, he continues to pour salt on old wounds making it less likely that harmony will be the outcome.

I expected more from my teenager than I did her 2 year old brother. Consequently, I expect more than  puerile antics from the President of the United States than I would expect from Meryl Streep, a Hollywood film actress. Trumps baits himself before a free press that he ultimately cannot control.

As I have said, it begins....

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"What do we have to do to get him to keep his mouth shut?"

How about resign yourself to operating the country rather than attacking a man you don't like because he has funny hair?  Or, at the absolute minimum, find a legitimate reason for the insane attacks.

Seems a more reasonable attitude than saying he needs to just stand there and be the subject of constant attack by losing liberals.

Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, I am saying that he needs to act Presidential in the face of criticism rather than like a two year old with a twitter toy...

Nobody is talking about his hair, but if you want to go there?

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump mentioned Lewis on Twitter and helped the man's book sell out.   I'd say that's pretty good news for Lewis.  Good for him!

I like that Trump talks directly to people on Twitter and Facebook.  We don't have to listen to someone tell us what he said and tell us what it means. That's where I like to go to see what the next President of the United States has to say.  He reaches more people in a single tweet than he would otherwise.  Social media is where its at, its trending, it helped Trump win the election so its all good.

I think some people need to get a little more progressive with the modern times, as unconventional as that may seem to older folks.  Twitter works well for Trump!  He can by-pass the old dying and traditionally bias mainstream media.  Twitter loves Trump being on the site, he is great for business!
          http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13363320.jpg

Thatis just an excuse, CT. Trump would love to be in a position where he is not questioned nor challenged by the press as to what he is doing in office. Twitter is a childishly cowardly resort for a man who afraid of dissent. But, you can call it what you will, you usually do, but that does not make it valid.

By the way, it is amazing how you find these cartoons that are so relevant to our discussions.

1. colorfulone profile image78

I don't see Trump as being afraid of anyone, especially the press.  He is as brave as they get to take on the Republican establishment and the globalist Democrats, the globalists, corporations, big banks,  and the corporate government run media, etc.  And, he keeps on winning!  The majority of Americans have woke up and don't trust MSM anymore.  We don't need them, they are irrelevant.

You  can call it what you will and usually do.  It just seems rather childish to attack anyone for using Twitter when social media is so effective for hundreds of millions of people world wide, as it was designed to be.  Trump was trained in DARPA, he knows what he is doing.  This isn't kids play for him.

I've been saving that meme for a special time as this.  smile

1. profile image0
                ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

++++++  All good points -   The problem with the left today is that they get their total political enlightenment  from places like SNL ,  The Rolling Stone ,  Facebook  etc.  One day perhaps  they will evolve.

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And "acting presidential" means "stand there and be the subject of constant, baseless attack by losing liberals.".  I understand the philosophy (and the need for something to attack)...I just disagree with it.  While it's a PC requirement to pretend such baseless accusations were not made, it's also rather stupid. 

But then I don't make a very good PC, liberal sheeple.

Preferably to be prudent and use a little common sense than to be a mindless rightwing reactionary, huh?

2. Don W profile image82
        Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

". . . find a legitimate reason for the insane attacks"

I think your definition of "legitimate reason" here is being influenced by your politics. There are several legitimate reasons for the criticism of Trump (when did criticizing someone become an "attack"?) They range from *deep breath*:

racism
        sexism
        boasting about sexual assault
        appointing a neo-nazi sympathizer as chief strategist
        tapping Jeff (too racist to be a Federal Judge) Sessions for Attorney General
        conflicts of interest
        brinkmanship diplomacy (no Donald neither a trade war nor a military conflict with China will be a good thing)
        being publicly more supportive of an adversarial foreign dictator than your own intelligence community, i.e. people who risk their lives protecting the country he is supposedly the President Elect of.

And that's all before he is even President.

So at this point it might be quicker and easier to list the reasons Trump can't be legitimately criticized (a list which seems to get shorter on a daily basis).

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

1960s

Donald Trump:

- Was an “unremarkable” but “privileged” student at the New York Military Academy.
      - Was removed from his senior command post as a senior.
      - Received five draft deferments for the Vietnam War, including one for “bad feet.”
      - Was admitted to Wharton by a “friendly” admissions officer, although no one remembers him on campus.

John Lewis:

- Was firebombed, attacked by an an angry mob and beaten by Ku Klux Klan members as one of the original Freedom Riders who successfully challenged segregated interstate transportation laws.
      - Became chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.
      - Was one of the “Big Six” who planned the largest civil rights protest in American history.
      - Was the youngest speaker at the March on Washington: Here he is speaking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFs1eTs … e&t=29
      - Helped prod Congress to create the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
      - Organized a protest march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., to fight for voting rights.
      - Had his skull fractured by white supremacists while marching across the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

1970s

Donald Trump:

- Worked for his father’s company.
      - Lived off a trust fund set up by his father.
      - Borrowed $1 million from his father for his first “big deal.”
      - Married his first wife.
      - Was sued by the U.S. Department of Justice for racial discrimination.

John Lewis:

- Became executive director of the Voter Education Project, which registered millions of voters.
      - Worked in the Carter administration organizing volunteers.
      - Led ACTION, the U.S. government’s domestic volunteer agency.
      - Headed Americorps, the national service program to eliminate poverty.

1980s -1990s

Donald Trump:

- Was a pro wrestler.
      - Borrowed so much money from his daddy, he owed his father $14 million when Daddy died.
      - Received an inheritance of $40 million when his father died.
      - Married his second wife.

John Lewis:

- Was elected to the Atlanta City Council.
      - Was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives.
      - Fought Bill Clinton on welfare reform and invasion of Haiti and opposed the first Gulf War.
      - Sponsored the bill that made Martin Luther King Jr. Day a holiday.

2000-Present

Donald Trump:

- Married his third wife.
      - Made a reality show.
      - Grabbed pussies.
      - Advocated kicking Muslims out of the country.
      - Energized the neo-Nazi white supremacist movement.
      - May or may not have enjoyed a Russian “golden shower.”
      - Mocked disabled reporters.

John Lewis:

- Was one of the first to endorse the candidacy of Barack Obama.
      - Introduced the bill that created the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
      - Said of gay marriage: “I fought too long and too hard against discrimination based on race and color not to fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.”
      - Was arrested in Sudan protesting the genocide in Darfur.
      - Was arrested for demonstrating at the U.S. Capitol for immigration reform.
      - Led a sit-in on the floor of Congress to protest Republicans’ refusal to address gun control laws.
      - Has served in Congress for 29 years and received more than 70 percent of the vote totals 13 of the 14 times he has been re-elected.

http://www.theroot.com/john-lewis-vs-ev … 1791360032

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Well said, friend.  The AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) was full of this exchange today.  They did a great job for the "city that is too busy to hate."

If that reply was directed at me, Kathleen, thanks..

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Lewis also loudly  attempted to  delegitimized G.W.Bush ,   He has also been called out as  part of the political caucus'  of black leadership's  ties to democratic constant failures in inner cities Economics ,   Once again though  the leftist  media simply  creates another excuse for democrats failures in politics.

So, horsey,
      how many Right winged pigs spent the last 8 years delegitimizing Obama? Yes, I am black and against Trump and if he does not move to the political center FAST., a s*** storm will be the result that will make his administration impossible to administer.  No Kumbaya, here...

Your man will be given a chance and some time, but not much of either.

As I said, it begins....

2. colorfulone profile image78

John Lewis said about my inauguration, "It will be the first one that I've missed." WRONG (or lie)! He boycotted Bush 43 also because he..."thought it would be hypocritical to attend Bush's swearing-in....he doesn't believe Bush is the true elected president." Sound familiar! WP
      ~ Donald Trump tweeted

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So at this point , who cares ?     Let the democrats stay away from the inauguration , why would anyone want these hypocrites there anyways  , like the fake news originators in the media ,   let them  suffer the same  as the future  as the "white house press corps"  who may be no longer , America no longer needs a news media representation that is so biased as to attempt to completely alter all political reality .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)