I Attended Pres. Trump's Inauguration

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (49 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 7 years ago

I will have to give some thought to why I have a nagging worry that speaking of attending the Inauguration is bragging, but until then, I am proud that I made the effort.

Allow me to set the stage:

I am not a Trump supporter, but I am not anti-Trump either. My wife is almost violently anti-Trump. We are one of those households that cannot have political discussions without ending in a huff, but my wife does feel as I do about the meaning of the Inauguration.

Arriving around 7 am, we had a long walk and plenty of time to experience the crowd surrounding us as we plowed our way up the National Mall to the Inauguration site. As with most 'normal' folks, we were completely unticketed. After four and a half hours we had worked our way to the last barricade before the ticketed sections of the Inauguration site. Geesh, there were a lot of red Trump hats, and I had to almost restrain my wife from bracing some of the Trump supporters we were surrounded by.

But... I felt proud to be there. This was my country's Constitution at its best.

But... the jerks! Whew! Both sides! *if you watched the news casts you might have seen us, we were the bare heads 347th from the left, next to the guy in the red poncho leaning on the barricades.

After the Inauguration we tried to walk to the White House for the parade, as we had done at previous Inaugurations. But after two more security checkpoints, (we already went through three just to get to the Mall), we were blocked. The rioters a few blocks away had caused the authorities to close our access route to the areas around the White House. We had been using our phones to keep abreast of the rioting protesters, so we just left. The Inauguration was our purpose, the parade would have been a plus. We were back home by 7:30 pm.

My thoughts... Both sides have their jerks, but I got the impression that the parade protesters, (the only ones we had contact with), were just as proud of their country as the Trump supporters.

For the folks that boycotted... it is your loss. You are wrong. Your actions reflect poorly on you.

GA

1. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How would you feel if you supported Trump but could not participate because of rioters. What if it was your car that was torched. What if your business was destroyed. You were there. You say both sides were jerks. Which side was doing actual damage.

GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't consider the rioters to be either of the sides I spoke of. I think I made that distinction when I noted the protesters I spoke of were the parade route protesters, and that we left DC because of the "rioters," not the protesters. The protesters brought signs, the rioters brought hammers.

GA

I understood all that. I guess my questions seemed rhetorical when in fact they were not.

Hey there PhoenixV, I think I got your point, (rhetorical questions or not), which is why I noted the distinction between the protesters and the rioters.

There is nothing I can think of that would be a valid defense of the rioter's actions. Our country's good is not their motivation. They have no validity in my mind and should be addressed with the same vehemence they exhibit.

GA

Thanks GA.

2. Don W profile image83
        Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with your choice, but credit you for your shared pride in the Constitution, and a balanced account of the day.

Im glad i didnt go i only got liability. I dont think my agent covers "acts of lefty extremists", or however they want to be labeled.  People should vote not burn someones car.  Hillary did not win some fantasy popular vote. Its EC. If it were a pop vote, who knows the outcome.

But lets make some excuses.

2. GA Anderson profile image90

It looks like this may have been addressed to me. So, thanks for your thought. We still think the other is wrong, but at the least, I think we both have authentic reasons for our opinions. It's just that yours are wrong. ;-)

GA

1. Don W profile image83
            Don Wposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It was, and you're welcome. I can see why political discussions end in a huff in your household though smile

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If your goal here was to cause jealousy and envy, you succeeded.  I hate crowds, but would have loved to be there.  Or any presidential inauguration.

Hey guy, maybe that was my nagging worry. I know I am fortunate to be geographically close enough to have the choice with only the cost of a day-trip to consider.

But, I do have to make one semi-painful observation. My wife and I attended the Bush, (W),  and Obama Inaugurations. This one, (Trump), impressed both of us as the one with the most vitriol among the participants.

As a semi-conservative minded fella, I do not have a positive impression of most of the hard-core Trump supporters I have met, (or just had a passing interaction with). And the comments we heard from those Trump supporters at the Inauguration did nothing to elevate their status.

GA

1. wilderness profile image93

Based solely on impressions from similar interactions, I'd agree.  There are those out there that are jumping with glee as they perceive Trump giving the green flag to their racism, their hatred of this group or that.  And I have zero use for them or their stance.

3. dianetrotter profile image62
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How far did you have to walk?  I'm sure you took lots of pics.  This was an historic event.

Hello Diane,

The walk wasn't too long by distance, about a quarter mile from the Metro station, but the maneuvering; through the crowds and security checkpoints made it seem like ten miles. As I mentioned it took us almost four hours to cover that quarter mile, and the length of the Mall to the front barricades.

Here's another observation: The lines and crowds at the security checkpoints were huge - and slow, but everyone was friendly - the crowd and the authorities. It wasn't until after the checkpoints, when we were among the throng heading onto the National Mall to the Inauguration site, that the passions were exhibited.

Also as mentioned, I am a bit more tolerant than my wife, so I just played Duck as we weaved our way through, (you know, water off my back). She, however, was loaded for bear, and I had to keep myself physically between her and the "Jail Hillary" supporters we had to wade through.

But that sounds too one sided. I did have to bite my tongue several times when we encountered the "Comrade Trump" anti-Trump groups that were also there.

Another observation: The news folks aren't kidding when they talk of the Secret Service security precautions. Besides the automatic-weapons armed security we saw on the ground, we saw several snipers on the building rooftops. And I am sure they were meant to be seen. Who knows what we couldn't see.

Surprisingly, we took very few pictures. We have been to DC frequently, so that wasn't a new experience, and we were never able to get close enough to the historic moments to get good pictures with just our phones. We did get a few of the parade protesters, but that's about it.

GA

1. dianetrotter profile image62

Quarter of a mile  in 4 hours ... crazy!  I supposed protesters must have spent the night to be in positions they were in.

I try to avoid arguments at all cost.  When people are dug in, rigiht or left, they are totally committed ... sometimes to a dangerous degree.

I hope Donald Trump does well.  Theoretically, if he wins, the country wins.  With all of his personal investment, great again has multiple meanings.

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

GA, that's a fair, thoughtful and balanced set of observations.

Yes it was fair thoughtful and scholarly. Both sides were jerks.  And one side was setting cars on fire and destroying businesses.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

From GAs account the other part of the side, if we are making excuses, were not deterred from being jerks. The stage was set. Democrats were boycotting.  There were protesters that " love their country" just as much,  as it was put.  They were gunning for a fight. Cars were set on fire, windows busted out, people hurt. This is no surprise. The excuses and lack of responsibility is no surprise either.

And there you go again...

The rioters did not belong to either side I spoke of. We didn't see any of the rioting because they had been confined to areas that were blocks away from the Inauguration.

Which prompts the question of why the two types of protesters were not co-mingled? None of the protesters we saw acted like the rioters that destroyed stuff.

And then there is the point I made that the 'jerks' I spoke of were among the folks we waded through on the National Mall as we worked our way to the Capitol site.

GA

1. colorfulone profile image77
            colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I believe protest groups have to get permission to protest and are assigned sections for their groups, or to march down a street.  At least the more civilized groups stay within their sections.  The psychology of protest groups is largely attributed to their organizers, cheerleaders, or many times agitators and biased media.  Its probably good that some of the groups don't get to inter-mingle being polar opposites on issues. 

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13371713.jpg
            https://aclj.org/pro-life/the-choice-be … eadly-lies

2. PhoenixV profile image63

Yes. I understand that it is an inconvenient, embarrassing truth that the people setting fires to cars and busting out store windows were not there to respectfully observe the peaceful transfer of power. People setting fires, kicking in car windows, busting up storefronts. I wonder what their ideology is. I wonder what political flavor they are. Scientologists probably.

It might be informative to consider the intelligence level of the person saying "I hate Trump so I will burn a car and break a Starbucks window!"  Ideology kind of fades in such cases.  Same goes for vandals that are present solely to destroy things - ideology isn't a part of such people.

https://s.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/02/cruise-mi3-explosion.jpg

During the inauguration Cokie Roberts was calling Trump belligerent a couple of times. CBS looked like it was a funeral. CBS Morning people are all smiles as they showcase riots and protests. Democrats were boycotting. I dont buy that suddenly the people on the ground, rioters, are now opportunely unaffiliated. I think it more likely that Tom Cruise Scientologists are involved.

5. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think that was a grand effort to go to the Inauguration.  I feel some pride that our little community here had a member in attendance.  Thank you for sharing, GA.

You are welcome, thanks for the thought.

GA

2. PhoenixV profile image63
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

I watched on tv. I would like to see Statuary Hall. I know it sounds odd but it seemed like there was an almost Masonic tone to it all.

I have visited and walked DC since childhood, starting with school field trips. You are not wrong about the "masonic feel." Most of DC has it. And for good reason, it was Masonic personalities that designed most of the core city and its buildings. If you have the interest, Google DC's history to find some great readings concerning the Mason influence in our early government.

GA

Well, I was referring to the ceremony itself on tv. Idk what you saw, but they gave them bowls with a compass etched in the bottoms I believe and made a joke about. [ incidently they did mention.the way the buildings and ave were layed out] Then the specific Bible references they made.

Oops, I misunderstood your point. But still, the city is full of masonic themes, so maybe it is the Illuminati's way of passing a message. (the bowls you spoke of)

GA

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
            Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

"So I'd like to be happy about a new President"

It doesn't appear that way from your long litany of Trump grievances and faults.  A complaint of him exaggerating his win, as if it isn't expected of every politician.  Complaining of state legislation, as if Trump as anything at all to do with it.  His inaugural address was upbeat and gave a broad outline for improving what he sees as priorities (job creation, etc.) - certainly nothing to declare it depressing.  A cabinet pick is a terrible choice...because they work for a company that had a shipping accident 27 years ago.  You don't like rich people in cabinet positions.  That his pick for Education Secretary is rich means she should not be secretary.  Sessions was turned down for other positions long ago so should be turned down for AG now.  Trump used to have Democratic views and so is bad now.  You even claim (completely false) that Trump as already repealed the ACA.

Bottom line is that you will use almost any reason to vilify Trump and refuse to think he might do even a tiny bit of good.  Not unusual - it seems a common reaction from those that hate him - but to couple it with saying you want to think the best of his prospects doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. Jean Bakula profile image90
                Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

<snipped>

After writing a reply, I made it to your last paragraph. 

I agree, this is not the thread to discuss what is a reasonable complaint about Trump and what is not.  Another time, then, Jean. smile

No worries Jean, it's all part of the same discussion.

GA

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years ago

Washington DC is my favorite city in the world, and I've visited five continents.  It's beauty and symbolism is bigger than any one person or political party.  Any time you are there, for any reason, is a treat.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years ago

Unfortunately, I have never had the pleasure of attending an inaugural ceromony. But from news reports, I hear that attendance and crowd were considerably more sparse this time around when compared with Obama and 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/201 … /96857800/

Just taking note, you were there, do you have an explanation for the difference?

Maybe they had to be at work.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The only problem with that is that January 20, 2009 fell on a Tuesday, did 'they' not have to be 'at work' then, as well?

Hey Cred,

I could only guess. As we started in, the crowd seemed evenly divided between Conservative and Liberal, but as we got closer to the Inauguration site it become heavily tilted towards Trump supporters. Which I don't think is unusual for any Inauguration.

As for that guess... I would think it is because of anti-Trump folks that viewed it as a Trump celebration and declined to participate.  On the other hand, as we tried to walk the parade route to the White House, the  crowd seemed to be more Liberal than Conservative. Or maybe that was just because they were more vocal, and obvious, with their signs and placards.

Another observation was that we weren't the only ones there just for the Inauguration. As we worked our way back to the Metro, there was a steady flow of folks leaving just as we were.

GA

Within my lifetime, I am going to make a point to attend one, hopefully in 2021, if not, more certainly by 2025.

There was an  anti-Obama crowd in January 2009, yet  the number of those attending his inaugural was legendary.

Does not the right and its advocates have the same enthusiasm for their guy?

My impression was that the "Right" was there in full force, it was the Left that was the smaller crowd.

ps. Keep me in mind when you are able to attend one. I would enjoy meeting-up with you there.

GA

That is fabulous GA, I would enjoy that a great deal.

Assuming the numbers of followers of left verses right are equal, I would presume that those on the right side of the isle would have had fewer attendance numbers in 2009. It must say that there are more left than right in sheer numbers to explain the differing attendance numbers for Obama inauguration verses that for Donald Trump.

4. vineliner57 profile image89
      vineliner57posted 7 years ago

Some of them are probably Soros-tologist. smile

Probably so. Maybe soros can spring for some bail and restitution. I'm waiting for "we go high hillary" to do a msm photo op, with a broom, amongst the broken glass. Pushing it I mean, as opposed to riding it. Then it will be all better. Like it never happened.  But for now, in the interim, msm wants to cultivate it and express their personal loss, vicariously, by manipulating impressionable minds into wreaking havoc. I dont blame some youth. I blame people that tend to give themselves awards and trophies on tv for their craft, or something that sounds like craft.. Or the people telling us they are the #1s in the industry to be trusted.  They get a gold colored ego statue and some kids parents get a bail bondsman.

5. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 7 years ago

As someone who was at the inauguration I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this "crowd size" debate if you don't mind weighing in.  Did you find that there was any noticeable difference in the crowd size either way at this inauguration compared to Obama's or Bush's?

Hi Aime F,

From our perspective we only knew that it was crowed. Everywhere. We were either weaving through crowds or waiting in lines - with crowds, all the way up to the barricades. But, because we were in the crowd, and, most of our passages were through the streets, or access corridors, not wide open waves of people - we couldn't tell if the crowd ended a dozen people away from us, or a thousand.

GA

1. Aime F profile image69
          Aime Fposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's fair, thanks for answering. smile

1. dianetrotter profile image62

Probably the stands would have been more an obvious sign of a decline in numbers.  From video I saw large areas that were empty.

6. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Can anyone spell   T-r-u-m-p   D-e-l-e-g-i-t-i-m-i-z-a-t-i-o-n ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)