A Continuing Discussion of the Election of Trump and his Inauguration

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

I started a Question on this topic a few days ago but I found the question format a bit limiting. The 250 character limit on responses are just not enough to explain details and respond to others of dissenting opinion. I decided to create this forum as a continuation of this discussion.
    Topic include - Trump's inauguration speech, meaning of his election, the media's part in all this...of course the on-going protests...

Please be respectful of other's opinion. Let's educate each other and help make this a constructive exercise. Let's make HubPages be the new model of civil debate and help make our country a better place for all.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jacklee, I applaud your commitment to civil debate. I will offer a few thoughts:

1. His speech had the themes of populism, nationalism and protectionism. I'm sure there are a few more isms, but that's a start. They sound good to the working classes, but they also risk trade wars, higher inflation and other problems.

2. The size of the protests surprised me, especially in places like New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles. I suspect his opposition is stronger than he expected.

3. We can't debate "media" as a group because it has become too broad a term. I hope both sides can agree that lumping Facebook together with a conservative newspaper like the Wall Street Journal won't produce the kind of insights you are seeking.

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a good start. Is there anything in the speech you find offensive as an American? regardless where you come from.
        The problem with the current state of politics in Washington, under both Democrat and Republican control over many years have been the lack of attention by politicians to their constituency. That fact has lead to the "Trump phenomenon". His speech in 16 minutes, eviscerated those people sitting behind him. You can call it popularism or whatever but it is real. For too long the American people have been ignored. This was truth about our borders and about trade and about wall street... When the 2008 crisis occurred, wall street which created the mess, were bailed out and the American people paid with their taxes and NO ONE WERE INDICTED AND WENT TO JAIL.
        Trump's message speaks to this.
        The call to drain the swamp is exactly what is needed to solve the current problems in Washington.
        I support Senator Cruz call to enact a term limit on Congress. It will be a good start.

1. profile image0
          promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I didn't find anything offensive in his speech.

It was interesting that George Will, a highly conservative columnist and Fox News analyst, thought the speech was "dreadful".

I agree with you about the 2008 collapse. Amazing that no one was indicted or sent to jail for it. But quite a few bank CEOs walked away with millions of dollars, much of it from taxpayer bailouts.

2. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jacklee kudos belong to your for initiating the thread.

1. Trump's inauguration speech was just so much red meat for his supporters. I will believe it when all that hard hat advocacy of his is actually transferred into policies that benefit the middle class, until then I remain profoundly skeptical.

2. This is the most unpopular President going into office since Abe Lincoln. I certainly do not want to confuse Donald Trump with him (exact opposites).The protests on the following day was global in scope and just as unprecedented. Hostility toward the press and negative public opinion have always brought down the mighty. If those numbers stay dismal areas he starts behind the eight ball.

3. I, too. wanted justice for the criminals of September 2008, but Trump is among the Capitalist class, lacking the virtue and sense of public obligation of say Kennedy or FDR? His record does not me make believe that would drain the swamp, on the contrary he would just fill it with more of the kind of cronies that we do not need.

4. I am generally in favor of term limits, but justlike the idea of abolishing the electoral college, it would have to agreed upon by all the states to be fair.

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I appreciated it.
          Let me address a few points you raised.
          Trump is not a politician. He is and was a businessman. One of my criticism of him during the promaries was that he was part of the corrupt system in the past by donating to politicians to gain favor... I am taking him at his word that he has seen the light and wants to change.
          I will withhold my judgement till his administration had a chance to implement his vision.
          The media on the other hand has been dishonest to some degree. Some of this came to light in this election as a result of wikileaks. You may argue that what wikileaks did was illegal but it did exposed the shinanagans that went on behind the scenes at major media house and the DNC...
          So, Trump have put these people on notice. He will not allow them to go unchallenged. That was one of the mistake that the Bush administration made. They allow this dishonest media to frame the debate and in the end the people turned against Bush.
          I can give you example if you want.
          Going forward, I am hoping everyone just take a deep breath and allow a new administration to do its thing. They can criticize and dissent all day long once the policies are put on the table. That is the democratic way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)