Rejected... for niche site

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

Over half of my 47 hubs have already been moved, and every hub I've submitted (until now) has been accepted. With the new policy allowing us to submit one hub every two weeks, it's not SO bad. Still, I'd like to see if there's something I can do about this hub.

http://hubpages.com/technology/The-Powe … s-Went-Out

This is what the email had to say about it:

Thank you for submitting your article, What Happens in a Long-Term Power Outage?, for consideration on Soapboxie. Unfortunately, your article was not selected. Since you already confirmed that your article is free from content and structural issues, it is possible that it was not selected due to the nature of its topic. Perhaps your article:

is about a current event and written in a way that won't be relevant to readers in the future. Perhaps you can expand on your topic and offer historical analysis or additional insight beyond covering the facts of the story.

is about a very general topic that is already extensively covered on Soapboxie or elsewhere online. Perhaps you can add a new spin on the topic to make it your own. If your article is a popular (e.g., chocolate chip cookies) recipe, adding gorgeous, original, step-by-step photos is a great way to make it stand out from the rest.

is unlikely to satisfy readers for some other reason. Your article might be deeply valuable to you, your friends, or your family, but not be written in a way that is useful or accessible to a wider audience. Or perhaps your article could be useful to readers, but it doesn't convey your experience or involvement with the topic.

is about a YMYL (your money, your life) topic. Articles on these topics need About the Author biographies to showcase expertise. If your article already had a bio, then it probably doesn't sufficiently demonstrate the level of expertise we are looking for.

I didn't really find any of them helpful, except maybe the last one. Before I submitted it, I was more worried that my article was too personal (like a blog post) Perhaps I should eliminate most of the more personal parts and beef up the factual parts, but then they speculate that it might not convey my personal experience.

What do you guys think?

2. profile image59
    Mills Pposted 7 years ago

I liked the piece, but as the old saying goes - You can't win them all. I don't pretend to be the best writer here, but their decisions sometimes baffle me. I've gotten heads up notices for pieces with so-called spammy elements - even after I removed all of the photos. Whenever HP gives me a niche spot, I will take it. I am not going to take the lead. I do hope other articles will find their niche for you.

Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mills P - Since I have had quite a few moved, I feel like I have a pretty good idea what they are looking for. At this point, I am getting down the the ones I was less sure of. I guess I will have to try to take a really objective look at this and decide if I can make something of it or I just need to let it go.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Well done for getting so many of your Hubs transferred, that's quite an achievement!

Two issues strike me about this Hub.  Firstly, what are people searching on Google for?   You title seems too vague.  Probably something like "How to Cope with a Long Term Power Outage" or "Long Term Power Outage Tips" or "Long Term Power Outage Survival" etc. 

Then you go on to talk about past experiences and past outages - not something people are likely to care about.  I would rearrange the Hub to provide information on what to expect and how to prepare.  They should, obviously, be based your own experience so that's where you can use your personal stuff.  You can then finish off with examples of past outages and how long they lasted, consequences etc. 

However, I'm not sure it would belong on Soapboxie anyway.  A power outage may be related to environmental issues but preparing for and surviving one is more related to home and garden, perhaps?

Thanks for the advice Marisa.

I guess I kind of have two points with the article. One is how to survive a power outage, the other is how vulnerable our electrical grid is, and how devastating it would be if we did have a long-term and widespread blackout. That second one is the Soapboxie part. Perhaps they should be two separate articles.

I thought my article on Colony Collapse disorder would fit better in DenGarden, but HP decided it belonged in Soapboxie. It seems like, if they like them, they put them where they think best no matter what site you submit to.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
        Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Your thinking approach is very good. You can yourself make some appropriate changes in it on your own and get it approved again. Reading your own comments here, I believe you can do it perfectly and get approved. Nothing to worry.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I am passionate and knowledgeable about this topic. I think I can make it work

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, maybe two articles is an idea.  However, my main point was how to make it more appealing to search engines which might make it more appealing to the editors as well - so not necessarily changing the content, just re-ordering it so the more practical advice comes first.

Right, I think it needs better organization. It's unfocused, and I have struggled with the title. I have changed it several times.

4. simplehappylife profile image68
    simplehappylifeposted 7 years ago

what about a title like "What to Do During a Long-Term Power Outage"  or "How to Prepare for Long-Term Power Outages"

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

To match it it soapboxie it needs to lead with how the grid got so screwed up (politics), not what to do in an outage.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

The fact that you had so many accepted and moved is a huge accomplishment. I was just able to get one moved after being rejected a few times so it's an uphill battle.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Congratulations on so many Hubs selected for niche sites! 

I read your article, and I liked it (and left you a rather lengthy comment...)...LOL.

I do agree with Marisa, though; put the advice part first, and then the historical facts, and finish with your own experiences.  Marisa is one smart cookie, and her advice is always spot-on-target. wink

8. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

I still have not gotten around to editing this hub. Oddly, it has been moved to Owlcation. After the fact, I did make a couple of minor edits.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)