Writer's Block?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (35 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Ever get stuck with a form of writer's block--smack dab in the middle of a piece you've already begun??

The usual tips for coming up with ideas won't work here, as those are too generic; they are for just thinking of something, anything, to write.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@DzyMsLizzy smile I would go with simplehappylife
      in this obstacle. I find that many times I can over-think
      a topic or text within. Just do something completely
      different and then in a day or two, like simplehappy life
      said, your piece could go in a different direction.

1. vocalcoach profile image93
        vocalcoachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have found that when this happens to me (and it does) I simply start writing my thoughts.  Even if what I'm thinking has nothing to do with the topic I'm writing on.  By taking action and writing soon I'm led to the topic and ideas begin to form.  I also find that writing on two different projects helps.  If I come up blank with one topic, I switch to the other.  I also ask myself "why?"  Why have I started this hub in the first place?

Hope this helps MsLizzy.

smile what vocalcoach and simplehappylife said.

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I love listening to the radio and often think that if the subject is very interesting and current, then you have your topic!   My thought is that if the radio station finds the subject worthy of discussion and people phone in then it must be one worth writing about.

3. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I always start with an outline: a list of possible sub-headings. Once that's done, you always know what the next section is about. It's like a roadmap.

4. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Whenever I have a writing assignment that has to be done and all of a sudden my brain stops working, I go to a family member or friend and ask them to ask me a question about whatever my writing assignment is. I tell them nothing is out of bounds... just ask me a question. They ask their question and since my goal is to answer their question, it stimulates my mind and kicks me back into gear. I am able to finish the assignment with ease.

1. simplehappylife profile image68
        simplehappylifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's a great trick!

1. MarleneB profile image92

Thank you, simplehappylife. It works every time.

2. vocalcoach profile image93

I like this!

2. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like this suggestion, Marlene.

1. MarleneB profile image92

Thank you, Jodah! It is my favorite tool for unlocking my brain.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
          CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A very good idea to have someone ask you a question.

I sometimes find that it helps to writet things out of order. If you get stuck in the middle, write the end. The ideas for the middle will then flow.

Also, let the piece go where it wants. Many times I find I have written something very different from what I set out to write. Perhaps you are getting stuck because you are trying to keep to your predetermined idea.

You might also try google. Search on your topic. See what comes up. It might spark an idea. 

Not exactly in response to your topic, but as I am writing, I sometimes jot down notes at the bottom because I get an idea for something I want to include in a later paragraph or capsule.

Thanks for these helpful suggestions Catherine.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea!

5. grand old lady profile image85
      grand old ladyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The book, Writing The Natural Way helped me a lot in getting over blocks. Here's the link: http://www.gabrielerico.com/index.php?o … p;Itemid=1

6. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yeah, i always get stuck after having the titles, too lazy to do the research and end up tons of titles but empty contents

@peachpurple . . .with me, along with writer's block, I also find myself second and third guessing myself even after writing a couple of paragraphs.
        Internally, I ask myself how will my followers perceive this thought? Is this "really" my best effort," and so forth.
        So when this happens, the same prognosis works as it does with writer's block. I walk away and intentionally think of other people and things--even to the point of letting my laptop go blank to screen saver and in a few days (sometimes) I think of what I have written one last time and if no questions arise . . .I go with it.

2. simplehappylife profile image68
    simplehappylifeposted 7 years ago

I just step away for a day and then revisit it.  A lot of times, I find myself taking a whole different direction.

I like this approach.

1. simplehappylife profile image68
        simplehappylifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It usually works smile  Thanks Audrey smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I've got a bad case of writer's block right now.

I've decided to challenge myself to finish my novel, which I originally wrote over ten years ago.   It's been a lot of hard work, but I've been having a blast on Critique Circle, having people read through the early chapters and provide feedback.  Some of it has been hard to swallow, but the result is that the book looks heaps better than it did at the start.

Problem is, I'm now at the 45,000 word mark, the hero and heroine need to confront and capture the villain somehow so they can get to the HEA. And I have no idea how to do it.  Aargh!

@Marisa, a passive suggestion: Let these characters rely
      upon their wit, intelligence, and shrewd thinking.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh gosh, Kenneth, I wish I could, but they seem to have got themselves into a situation where they are at an impasse.  I am hoping they will come up with something!

@Marisa, okay. How about this "Plan B?"
          Let your characters find strength in their weaknesses.
          That is most unusual in today's heroes win with strength plotlines.
          But I know for sure that YOU will hit on just the right answer.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

Marisa:  Maybe think "McGuyver." lol

Well, at this point the most likely solution is that the heroine (who's a performer in a Cirque Du Soleil type show) will drop on the villain from her trapeze.  But I've been told it would be a much better ending if the hero overcomes him rather than the heroine.

@Marisa, I am not "going gently into that dark space" off of this forum until I give you this last plea idea:
                Let the hero and heroine both CON the villain into trapping himself as a victim  of his own ego and pride.
                This has to work!

Hmm.  That is a novel idea and one that deserves consideration.

smile With me, the old saying about a "blind pig finding an acorn once in a while," fits, Marisa. Don't you agree? It's okay. I won't mind you agreeing. After all, I am here to help.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Thanks, everyone!  I'll be sure to take your advice.  Sounds like a sensible option.  Well, I'm busy all day Tue., and have a meeting to get ready for on Wed., so I guess that will be 'stepping away' alright! wink

5. Laurie Bennett profile image86
    Laurie Bennettposted 7 years ago

Yes! I'm writing my second ever article and although I know the information, I'm struggling to put it together in the best way

smile Laurie, just relax. Breathe deeply and do not over-think what you are doing. This helps me a lot. Success to you!

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

@ Laurie:

What I usually do is just write.  Get all the thoughts down, nevermind the order, the spelling or grammar.  Just get down what you want to say.

Then do the fixes later.  The approach that works for me (usually) is to print out a hard copy for proofreading.  It's easier to see, and go back and forth, and make notes, draw arrows for shifting placement, etc.  than trying to scroll back and forth on the computer screen.

I've got the fix going for the solution to my original post, here, as well.  What I did was to drop the article I was working on, and start writing new ones on totally different topics. Then, as Kenneth said, go back to it a few days or a week later.

Best wishes to you!

6. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 7 years ago

Here's an idea: get a piece of paper....crumple it into a ball, put it in a bowl of water and describe it. Does it cure writer's block? Probably not. But, it will get you thinking about how stupid of an idea that I have... and you'll discover that your opinions are intact, etc, and your writers block will disappear.... [ You can paypal me later.... smile]

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)