Hubs Without a Comment Section

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (56 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 7 years ago

I've come across a hub, now and then, without a comment section.  Is this a choice made by the author?  If so, why?

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes. in your settings you can choose to disable comments.  If I come across a hubber that has comments disabled I usually don't read any of their other hubs. I like to comment to show I've read them.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
        kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@ Jodah, I am with you on the comments thing. I personally live to get comments from YOU and the rest of  my Great followers who have stayed with me in thick hub and thin hub and I appreciate them and YOU very much.

vocalcoachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

2. vocalcoach profile image93

Ok Jodah.  This is something I should have known after all these years.  Thanks for clarifying this for me.  I'm with you as far as reading a hub without being able to comment.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You can also delete the comment capsule altogether. I have one where I deleted the comment capsule. The page is way too long, nearly 5K words, lots of photos and videos. Were there to be lots of comments it would take the page that much longer to load up, and slow loading pages don't serve my purposes, which are to make an income.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My immediate thought would be to split that Hub into two or preferably three Hubs, so you can allow comments again.   It's rare to find a subject where you can write 5,000 words on just one aspect of it - usually if you take a hard look, you can see how you could split it up into different aspects of the topic. 

If you're writing informative Hubs, readers often have questions and it's a bit mean if you don't give them the chance to ask, IMO.

This makes sense.  Thanks.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, John! You are too strict! Why punish anybody who may want to avoid any unpleasant comments or something like that.
        But, I never disable the comments section even though once it was disabled by mistake and later enabled when many of our nice hubbers, including you, pointed out to me that glitch.
        I may read the articles even though there is no provision to comment on them.

1. Will Apse profile image87
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like the crazy people to run wild and free. Until they upset me. Then I delete with relish, lol.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Poor chaps!

Sorry, I reckon people get a bit too worried about these issues. It really is a choice for the individual.

I have one hub with thousands of comments and those comments are its main strength. On most of my pages, the comments are not very useful to anyone.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87

The obvious question is, why were you reading them in the first place, if you weren't interested in the Hubs for their own sake?

1. Jodah profile image91

I don't check before-hand to see if comments are disabled. So if it is a subject that appeals to me I will read the hub. If at the end of reading it I see the comment capsule doesn't exist I may check to see if they allow comments on their other hubs. If they have a lot of hubs that interest me I may send an email through fan mail and question if they know they have comments disabled (some do by mistake).
          If they deliberately don't allow comments then I may read an occasional hub by them if it really appeals but it is doubtful. I read mainly hubs of people who comment on mine and interact.

.....so you're reading for social reasons, not for research or education.  If that's the case, then that's fine. The person who disallows comments is probably not worried about networking within HubPages anyway. 

I have a comments capsule on all my Hubs, but I do it for my external readers who want to ask a question, nothing more.

It is a good perspective. I also believe in this kind of attitude. Comments should serve as a means of improving one's knowledge and capabilities and be useful to both the writer and the reader.

2. Jodah profile image91

Yes, I read hubs totally for enjoyment and social reasons. Certainly not for education. I know others do and that's fine, but as you say, those who don't allow comments don't write here for social interaction, only for external views.

2. charm_baker profile image55
      charm_bakerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know it's an option that you can choose not to take advantage of, but I think it's crazy to purposely disable it.  I for one get busy or sidetracked and have a hard time getting back to respond to comments, but I love knowing someone is reading what I write.  When I used to be a better Hubber years ago, I'd take one day just to respond to ALL my comments on all my hubs.  It's very time consuming, but FUN.

@charm . . .AMEN!

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image93
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I love comments from readers ! And I also like to write comments after reading fellow writer's hubs.

I feel the same way my friend.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

I ditto you Chitrangada. But, I will read other articles also where I cannot comment or express my feelings to the author. Because my own happiness and satisfaction in reading those articles are quite enough for me.

3. prowritter62 profile image60
        prowritter62posted 7 years agoin reply to this

you have right.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi vocalcoach,

As others have mentioned, authors have the option to turn off comments completely in individual articles. HP Staff neither recommends nor discourages this practice. It's up to the individual author.

@Christy, good morning. I hate to intrude, but I just wanted to
        share that I love to get comments from my Wonderful Friends/Followers
        and even the non-followers.
        I use their input as a gauge as to what type of materials to write
        and the type to leave be.
        Have a safe day, Christy and Everyone on this forum session.

5. RoadMonkey profile image82
      RoadMonkeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I found one yesterday from Paul Kuehn. I thought it was a glitch. I don't think that he would have turned it off deliberately, because he likes comments.

6. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

some writers purposely leave out the comment box in order not to answer comments or sarcasm.

I can't imagine that you are the target of much sarcasm, surely?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

Not everyone is interested to in comments or has the time to monitor them. The are a module, you can have none, one or multiple comment modules.

Thanks for commenting.

@vocalcoach . . .hey, hey, hey! I am VERY interested in comments. Did you see that word, VERY?

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image96
          SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Haha! Me too Kenneth! I love reading and writing comments.

@ Sakina smile and here is smile x 1000 for 1000 days.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years ago

I'd love to get the HP staff's thoughts on this. Does the comment section affect readership, clicks, revenue, etc? It's quite a lot of work to maintain those sections regularly.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Comments are seen as part of the content to search engines. That means if the comments are high-quality and on topic, they can help the article, but if they're low-quality, off topic, or don't add anything useful to the conversation, they can also hurt the article. Some authors don't have time to delete comments that don't add substantial value to the conversation, aren't about the subject of the article, or are poorly written, so they choose to turn off comments completely, which is reasonable.

@ smile Christy, (seriously) thanks for your valuable
        input on the comments on hubs topic. Now to me
        this just means that "I" have to strive, labor, and
        work to  produce HIGHER quality hubs. And that
        is MY Pleasure.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy - Thanks so much for this information! I wasn't sure if they were seen by Google or could affect traffic. I need to consider that factor. If a comments section has comments but has been disabled, does Google still see the content?

Related to Google seeing comments - a while back (a long while back), I reported some hubs that seriously violated HP's terms. Some had adult content in the body of the hub and at least one had good content but the comments section was being used for adult hookups. I hope that situation was addressed, it could have a very negative impact on HP. The hub was written by someone who, I believe, had no idea it was being used that way and possibly hadn't checked it in a long while.

MG

Yes, Google considers comments are part of the Hub - that's why HubPages is encouraging us to delete meaningless complimentary comments, because they dilute the content of the Hub with irrelevant material. It's a tough call for social Hubbers, who often carry on conversations in Hub comments - but then, I guess they are not so worried about income.

I'm not sure what you mean by comments being disabled?  If comments have been made and they are visible on the Hub, then Google will count them.  If you've disabled future comments, that makes no difference.  If, on the other hand, you've hidden or deleted the comments capsule, then Google can't see it.

@Marisa,
            I have to ask why would complimentary comments both received
            or given, dilute the content of a Hub?

Have you heard of the term "keyword density"?   

Google doesn't use human beings to decide what to include in its search results, it uses algorithms (which we call "robots").  The robots are clever, but they can't read and understand an article.  The only way they can decide what an article is about, is what words are used in it. 

So, say the robot comes across a poem.  It gives extra weight to words in the title, so let's say it sees "Love" and "Crumb" in the title.  So now it has to decide, is this poem about love or is it about food?  So it looks at the rest of the poem.  It finds a few mentions of "love" again, and words like "heart" and "devotion" which it knows are related, but only one mention of food.  It's about love not food, the robot decides - so now, if someone looks on Google for a love poem, this one will be included in that category.

The difficulty arises if there are lots of other repeated words in the Hub.  What if "thank you" is repeated in the comments, more often than "love" in the poem?  This poem is not about love, the robot decides, it's about gratitude.

@ Marisa,
                Ahhh, now it makes sense.
                Thanks smile
                Sincerely.

You're welcome.

smile 2 U, Marisa!

Thanks for this helpful explanation!

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
                Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a very good explanation Marisa, and you make it clear why it's so important to delete comments that just say "thank you" or "nice hub."

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

This is very valuable information - I need to look for issues like this. Thanks, Marisa!

4. Venkatachari M profile image83

Thanks, Marisa, for this great information.
                Now, I myself and most of us are able to know the difference it makes with the quality of comments.
                You have done a great job by providing this good advice. Thanks a lot.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

I was referring to disabling the feature that lets people comment.  I always see the author mode, and I wasn't sure if turning off future comments affected the search results. I wonder if having older dates on comments would be a concern?

@Marcy, if this is the appropriate place or not, I have to
              say "hello" to you.

Good thoughts Marcy.  I'd like to know this myself.

4. Talha Mazhar profile image57
    Talha Mazharposted 7 years ago

I'm sign up... Now what

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's kind of self-serve around here.  Try the top right option "start a hub" and see how far you can get.  Then bring any questions you have back here.

(Theme from Dragnet here)
        I think I will take myself a break, but thanks, psycheskinner. You have an interesting pen name. Wish I had created one when I joined HP.

5. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

This is the last line on one of my pages:

See 100 of 2781 remaining comments

In other words, there are 2881 comments. Mostly they are long comments, so I reckon the page has well over a quarter of a million words in total. Luckily you can limit it to 100 comments when the page first loads, so it is quick enough.

Will, that is quite interesting and amazing to know. A quarter of a million words is too much to manage. I appreciate your capabilities.

6. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 7 years ago

I enjoy receiving comments and so I keep the comments capsule available. But, I can understand why someone would not want to receive comments. In a very pertinent way, comments are rated as part of the hub and are evaluated as such in the Google world. In the case of a hub that might stir up negative responses or comments that are not related to the hub, having a comments capsule could possibly reduce the traffic received through Google channels.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)