Stumbleupon: Give your traffic vies a boost!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Kyriaki Chatzi profile image88
    Kyriaki Chatziposted 7 years ago

I don't know if you have used this app before, but I believe it's worth a shot.

Just 2 days ago I witnessed a sudden increase in views in one of my Hubs. I mean, hundreds of views, almost a thousand at this point. 

When I took a look at the traffic source, I saw it was Stumbleupon that made this happen.

I guess someone tagged my piece. See, I know Flipboard is one of the hottest traffic sources right now for Hubbers, but it hasn't worked out for me so far, unlike Stumbleupon.

I just made a suggestion. Whoever wants to check it out, go ahead.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Several years back, I was using it. I guess I'd better give it another try.

Kyriaki Chatziposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How did it do back then?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Not outstanding, because I would remember. LOL

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image45
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Kyriaki Chatzi,

Thank you so much for sharing your success secret with us smile

Bless you.

Hi Ashish, thank you so much for your kind words!

I hope this suggestion helps you out as well, if you decide to give it a shot.

3. ShailaSheshadri profile image91
      ShailaSheshadriposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I will also try this to boost my page views.

Good luck, then! smile

4. SakinaNasir53 profile image96
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Guess I should give it a try. Flipboard didn't work for me sadly. But, thanks for sharing this with us Kyriaki Chatzi. smile

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image45

@Sakina,
        Flipboard not working for me as well. I reckon there must be a trick for it because I have seen many Hubbers saying they are getting constant traffic from Flipboard. We must find it.

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image96

@Ashish
          I think we have to interact and use Flipboard by flipping other magazines, other than just posting ours. It might take time I guess.

1. Leonard Tillerman profile image93
            Leonard Tillermanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi

I have been doing this for over a month but really do not get much from it.  Maybe I just need to be patient.  I find Stumbleupon is my best traffic source right now.

Me, too. At this point, my Flipboard magazines contain practically 1/10 of my pieces (maybe less!) and still no luck!

Plus, I have added entertaining descriptions, catchy titles and stuff but still nothing.

I guess we're in the same rut, Leonard. Hopefully, we'll catch up with StumbleUpon, fingers crossed!

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image45

@Sakina,
            Yeah, that is the concept of Flipboard.
            You are right we might have to keep patience.

2. ShailaSheshadri profile image91

Ashish, I have a doubt that HP uses Flip board also for the social networking. I mean, in my published/featured article I can see flip board sign in the corner. Can you please clarify why many Hubers say that they are using Flip board.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image45

@Shaila,
            HP has an option of Flipboard, which we can utilize to share our hubs.
            Yeah, you are right. You can sign in and use that Flipboard icon to share your hubs.
            It is true. Flipboard is best for traffic, which is proven by a lot of successful Hubbers and HubPages as well. Flipboard icon on our Hub is recently launched, few months before there wasn't icon of Flipboard.

1. ShailaSheshadri profile image91

Thanks, Ashish. One more doubt is, whether we have to sign in once again for using Flipboard or HP is already using and we have nothing to do?

5. Leonard Tillerman profile image93

Thanks for the tip.  I too have received very little from Flipboard but my traffic is starting to increase with StumbleUpon.  I have found that if I am more active am on Stumbleupon it translates into traffic for my hubs.

Have a great day.

Leonard

Hi, Leonard. I'm so glad StumbleUpon works for you as well!

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 7 years ago

Google.com is still my highest traffic source. I am new to Stumbleupon and Flipboard and they are not bringing me traffic, yet. I hope they will.

To be honest, I am a little disappointed with Flipboard as it has given me zero views the last month or so despite making all the necessary adjustments...

Still, I wish you have better luck than I did! smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You have only ten Hubs so I wonder how Flipboard or any other form of promotion would be worthwhile at this point.

I'm not just talking about HubPages articles.

Thanks for the inspiring comment!

2. SakinaNasir53 profile image96

Same here Thelma Alberts. smile

3. revolutionbjj profile image90
    revolutionbjjposted 7 years ago

Pro tip:  try only posting niche site pages.

Always! Thanks for the tip, though! smile

4. Grant's World profile image79
    Grant's Worldposted 7 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I used to use Stumbleupon years ago but forgot about it. Will give it another go.

Good luck!

5. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

There's a snag with Stumbleupon.

Stumblers are not real readers, usually.  A lot of people on Stumbleupon are playing the game to get more views for their own site.   When they "stumble", they typically visit your page for a few seconds. That's going to send your bounce rate soaring. 

"Bounce rate" is an important measure that Google uses, to decide how good your Hub is.   If lots of readers are visiting your Hub and staying to read most of it, Google takes that as a good sign and will move your Hub up the search engine rankings.   If lots of readers visit for just a few seconds then click away, Google assumes all those people thought your Hub was rubbish and will penalise it accordingly.

Also of course, they are social visits and therefore not counted towards keeping your Hub featured, and also Stumblers not going to click on any of your ads.

Honestly, I can't argue with your point about the time Stumblers spend on each page.

However, I beg to differ when it comes to Stumblers clicking on the ads. In fact, during the recent view outbreak, quite a few clicked on some of the ads, and here I am, X cents closer to payout.

It's not much of a victory per se, but I'll take what I can get.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

So, are you using just Adsense or are you using the HP Earnings Program?

If you're using the HP Earnings Program, then you can't tell whether they clicked on ads or not.  The HP program pays per view, not by clicks - so yes, you got paid for those views.  What I'm pointing out is, it may backfire on you because in the longer term, it could result in fewer views from Google - which is the source of 90% of traffic to Hubs.

2. Leonard Tillerman profile image93

So I went into Google analytics to check my bounce rate.  Marisa is right, the average time on site is just 5 seconds.  Compare that to Google + which is 6 minutes, Twitter which is 3 minutes and 8 minutes from Pinterest.  Something to think about.  Cheers, Leonard.

3. mattforte profile image88
      mattforteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So much this.

Social sites like StumbleUpon are a relic from the past -- the awkward phase after the internet became more ubiquitous but before the rise of social media. Back then, there were a slew of websites that 'bloggers' used to artificially increase traffic to their sites...basically trading views. They were pretty popular, but they required you to put in work for a small amount of increased views. This is before Google really put much weight into the bounce rate (and probably the reason they did).

Those sites are mostly gone now, having been replaced with these social bookmarking sites...which have become the '2nd generation'. Sometimes you can get lucky and things will go viral here, if you really have something intriguing. But for the most part, no matter how many views you get from these sites - the spike is temporary. You will end up putting in lots of time and effort to get this temporary increase. It isn't worth it.

One needs to consider how much traffic you get per hour of work put into a hub. I have a hub that right now gets around 1k hits per day...I put probably 6 hours into it originally and have spent maybe an hour since then making small changes (It was written ~5 years ago). That's a return on investment.
      Spending an hour a day to get a few hundred extra hits per day that will fall off as soon as you stop spending that hour on the hub....not a good return. Your goal should be long term - you want to be able to stop contributing entirely and still get checks. (Unless you just really like doing the work, in which case I wonder about your hobbies)

I haven't written a hub in years and I've never once ever bothered with StumbleUpon, Flipboard, or Pinterest. And though my payouts have dropped a bit recently because of the changes in advertising fees...I still get regular checks.

Amazing input! Thanks for taking the time to share such insight with me!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

+1,000

6. Ramona27 profile image54
    Ramona27posted 7 years ago

The Flipboard Traffic thing has happened to me once. I got thousands of visits on one article that i flipped in my magazine. I don't know how. Traffic lasted for 2 days. I flip my articles every now and then but nothing happened again. I wish i knew how exactly all that traffic came.

7. Kristen Howe profile image91
    Kristen Howeposted 7 years ago

I'm going to work on Flipboard this weekend and keep StumpleUpon in mind later this spring.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)