New Homepage Coming Soon!

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

I’m very pleased to announce that within the next few days, HubPages will be getting a shiny new homepage! Here’s what you can expect to see:

-A fully responsive design
    -A lovely new color scheme that matches the Network Sites
    -Sections for each of our Network Sites prominently displayed
    -A “More” section in the upper left with the option to easily visit various parts of the site
    -Testimonials from HubPages experts and enthusiasts
    -A convenient and prominent option for signing up as a writer

And the improvements won’t stop there! Down the road we intend to overhaul the HubPages signup flow for new users and give the rest of HubPages a design refresh, so keep an eye out for future announcements. We hope you like the changes!

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Look forward to seeing the changes.  Thanks, Christy.

2. greenmind profile image94
      greenmindposted 7 years agoin reply to this

YAY really happy to hear this.

3. Dean Traylor profile image92
      Dean Traylorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Moving forward means changes, and I hope these changes will improve viewership. Can't wait to see what happens.

4. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 7 years agoin reply to this

More good news to further boost confidence - onwards and upwards. Thank you for the great work.

5. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile Christy, I have to (without hesitation) AGREE with sallybea's comments about the changes you are announcing! Wow! I am ready. What a great time to be 63 and living in America!
      And having friends like you and sallybea.

6. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello Christy Kirwan,

Wow, that's amazing smile
      Excited to see new updates of HubPages smile
      Thank you.

7. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hooray! Progress is always great. Thanks for sharing.

8. SakinaNasir53 profile image97
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the new look of HubPages. smile I am sure the team will do a great job with it. Very excited! Thanks for sharing this with us Christy!

9. Nancy Owens profile image80
      Nancy Owensposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sounds great to me... and I am really liking the look of the new sites.

10. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The new homepage is out! The Feed will be the default landing page for signed in users, so you'll need to sign out in order to take a look. smile

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like it. The testimonials add a nice finishing touch.

11. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

All good! The look and "feel" of HubPages is truly more engaging. I like the style of the network sites and glad to see that the main page will mirror those pages. I am loving what HubPages is doing to improve how the pages look because it improves how people perceive the writers who write here.

12. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The new homepage looks very nice but it is extremely deceptive! You cannot possibly get by with telling new writers or readers that they should expect to make $200, $300 or even up to $650 a month.
      90% of the writers on here are lucky if they make $1 a month!
      Extremely deceptive work by HP!

1. RonElFran profile image96
        RonElFranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the testimonials communicate that newcomers can expect to make hundreds of dollars a month. I notice that facts concerning when the person joined, the number of followers they have, and the number of articles they have written are prominently displayed. What that communicates to me is that if I work hard to put in the time and effort these people have, and write good content that draws followers, then yes, over time, there's the potential for me to be rewarded as they have been. I don't think that's deceptive at all.

13. VA Kingdom profile image40
      VA Kingdomposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great news..needed some changes thanks Hubpages team

2. Coffeequeeen profile image82
    Coffeequeeenposted 7 years ago

I look forward to the changes.  Sounds like there's some big changes afoot!

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Awesome smile Looking forward to this.

4. MomsTreasureChest profile image84
    MomsTreasureChestposted 7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the the new home page and upcoming changes, thanks!

5. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Are you asking David for a testimonial?

6. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13418052.jpg

I reckon this would be it

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

David has every reason to thank the heroic patience of certain forum participants (not including myself, since I was not convinced that he deserved it, lol)

7. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 years ago

Very glad to know. Waiting for the changes to appear. I hope it will be presenting a very pleasant look to our homepage and the entire site itself.
    Thanks a lot, Christy, for announcing this.

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

The new niche sites do have a very pleasing-to-the-eye color scheme; it will be nice to see it added to HP itself.

I look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

9. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

That's great news, I was planning on writing here again soon so this adds even more of an incentive to do so.

10. Margaret Schindel profile image95
    Margaret Schindelposted 7 years ago

Fantastic news, Christy! Looking forward to seeing the new homepage design and the other changes in the works. smile

11. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Really something to look forward to. The consistency of the color scheme with the niche sites is a great plus also. It ties it all together.

12. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 7 years ago

Looking forward to see the changes!

13. Lahayle profile image60
    Lahayleposted 7 years ago

This is wonderful.  Thank you.

14. carolynkaye profile image93
    carolynkayeposted 7 years ago

I can't wait to see it. Thanks for the update smile

15. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

Can't wait to see it thanks.

16. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 7 years ago

Will we get our Twitter button back?

17. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

Does I effect those on mobile devices and tablets. I don't see any difference. The changes sound great though.

18. Haider Mama profile image74
    Haider Mamaposted 7 years ago

As a new hubber I like the new homepage. Now I can see all the hubpages network sites in one place. I don't have to wander here and there to find interesting articles to read.

Good work Hubpages team!

19. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

I like!  That really looks nice; kudos to HP staff!

20. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

Those aren't the highest earning Hubbers.  We selected them based on a number of factors including quality, areas of expertise, and a diverse group that I think represents the HubPages community positively. We will add more Folks over time!

1. makingamark profile image71
      makingamarkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm puzzled by two things
      1) Have you relaxed the injunction on NOT discussing earnings if you're now highlighting what people earn?
      2) Did you get people's permission to highlight their earnings?

I do recall in the past there have been some negative repercussions (elsewhere) for those whose earnings are highlighted (content copied etc by those who would like to earn the same and like to take shortcuts). I wouldn't like to see the initiative backfire.

2. sallybea profile image96

Are these people being paid to display their earnings or are they being paid when new writers sign up via the link?  Wonder how most people feel about their earnings being displayed!

I assumed that they were contacted and asked for permission to do this. If not, that's bad.

Well I've rather assumed that too - but still worth asking the question as it would be a matter of major concern to some people if such permission had not been given.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

People were contacted and asked.

Interesting because I noticed this yesterday and I was surprised.  I had not seen it before.
            https://hubpageshelp.com/money/Learning … d_22671213

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image97

Haven't seen this before too. I thought that it takes a year to earn from HubPages.

It can do, sometimes longer but really it depends on how much you put into it.

I see. Thanks for sharing! smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
                DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It can also take a few months. It depends on the amount of hubs you write, how crowded the subject matter of the article is, and how you get the articles out there to start (like getting social media so that the search engines find your works).

Thanks DrMark1961 for sharing. smile

21. Will Apse profile image87

I think it is a good idea to bring together all the niche sites but I'm not sure about the aesthetics.

You have more or less got rid of the impersonal corporate feel but there is something not quite right. All those similar, but different fonts maybe, that weird gray area at the top, the photos that are too small to be meaningful.

Sorry, to be so critical, but given that the design of the individual niches is so good, I reckon you could do better.

The testimonials work and should do a useful job of recruiting new writers.

22. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 7 years ago

I'd echo and endorse Will's point about
    1) the composite of all the different fonts. The effect is "patchwork quilt" rather than "professional design" and to my mind and eye it jars. (Granted the grey helps tie it together - but why choose GREY?)
    2) the size of the thumbnails - far too small - even on mobile. Look on any other popular site using images and headlines for navigation (check the news sites) and the images are much larger.
    3) Why include the author's name unless there is significant traffic based on names as keywords. The point of a home page is to interest people in a topic not who wrote it.  Squidoo used to have a very successful home page which was boring (no images) and just listed the top five sites in each category as headlines. Worked a treat for me for a very long time.  Then they changed it to include fewer sites + images and the traffic dropped!

GLITCH - One thing I noticed was that I unable to get back to the main HubPages page from a niche site. If you can go from the Main page to a niche site - shouldn't you also be able to return without using the back button?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would hope not as I'd prefer the niche sites not to be connected to the main site more than absolutely necessary.

You've not seen the new Home Page?

Links from the main site to the niche sites are OK. The other way around should not be happening.

The algorithms do not really give you a penalty if a site links out to you but if you link to spammy sites it does. And for all we know HP has a small search engine slap to it. Not spam, but it doesn't have the same authority.

1. EricDockett profile image97
            EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Each niche site has thousands of links back to HP. Every page has a couple of them in the sidebar. hmm

Yes I did say that, but I still think that's okay. Because they are still related (in some sense). What I meant and wouldn't like to see is us trying to promote the HP domain from the niche sites. I assume the sign up feature takes us to the HP domain but that's still giving people what they want. And not blindly trying to promote hubs on the main domain.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

The niche sites are trying to get away from the main site, I hope there is no direct backlink. Sometimes via the related hubs section, I think that's more than enough.

3. makingamark profile image71

OK - in view of all the comments I'll try this again. Forget HubPages per se.

I can't find a link from the Niche Pages to the composite page which lists ALL the niche sites. (ie people can be interested in more than one topic!)

It is also possible to mark links as "no follow"!

23. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years ago

I like that  the feed is now the default for signed in members.

24. Will Apse profile image87

Just had a look at the home page again and it looks much improved. I'm inclined to think that the page did not load properly this morning.

So ignore what I said earlier, except the bit about the weird grey bit, and the rather small photos, lol. There really seems no point in having photos that you cannot see. I note a smattering of larger format pics on the niche site front pages which helps the aesthetic.

But at least the site logos are clashing less. And the non-photo content fits the page properly.

25. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I like it. Looks good. Fits together nicely with niche sites if visitors click back and forth. Will individual pages on HP be getting a makeover too?

More importantly: Is this a sign that HP does indeed have a grand plan for the main site rather than letting it sink into oblivion as some have feared since the launch of the niche sites? I am going to assume it is until someone tells me otherwise.

Well done, HP!

26. Jesse Drzal profile image91

The only drawback to posting those earnings reports like that, although it does dangle the proverbial carrot, it may attract some get rich quickers who come aboard and write for the wrong reasons..could also lead to loads of dead accounts when people see this is actual work. I do think it looks great though great job guys!!

Those people will never get their hubs featured, the niche sites are a whole different story.

27. Jesse Drzal profile image91

I know it won't make niche. Was thinking more the main page.

28. Natalie Frank profile image90
    Natalie Frankposted 7 years ago

Great to hear!  Looking forward to seeing the changes!  Thanks to the HP team for continuing to work towards greater viewership, enticing appearance and easier navigation for writer's.  You are appreciated.

29. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

The front page is attractive and looks professional. It should draw in more readers and help us to gain increasing trust and respect in the Internet community overall.

30. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

The new homepage looks good, the testimonials are a nice touch. Looks like it's increasing page views. Sweet!

31. carolynkaye profile image93
    carolynkayeposted 7 years ago

I love the new look and easy to navigate layout.

32. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

Looks good. A vast improvement over the old home page, which more often than not was full of junk from the forums and Q&A sections.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)