Republicans trust Donald Trump. Everyone else trusts the media.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (82 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 7 years ago

One of the most widely folllowed political polls just issued the results of a new survey on Trump and found that:

1. Trump's disapproval rating dropped again -- to 38%.

2. 63% said he is not level headed.

3. Voters disapprove 61 - 35 percent of the way Trump talks about the media.

4. 52% of voters trust the media more than Trump, while only 37% said they trusted Trump more. The majority who trusted Trump more were Republicans. The majority of them watch Fox News.

"President Donald Trump's popularity is sinking like a rock," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

"He gets slammed on honesty, empathy, level headedness and the ability to unite. And two of his strong points, leadership and intelligence, are sinking to new lows.

"This is a terrible survey one month in."

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de … aseID=2431

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows that 52% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-seven percent (47%) disapprove."

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ … rack_feb23

Anyone that believes either the media OR a politician (any politician) is a fool.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Rasmussen Reports does polling for Fox News and Republican candidates. It famously for adoring the right.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls … -5493.html

Regarding the media, the right loves anyones who despises the truth.

Of course - if you don't like the poll results it simply means that the source needs discredited.

Which was kind of my point - if that's the inevitable result there is no real reason to believe either Trump OR the media, for both lie.

1. profile image0

Wasn't that your first response to me? Did I not provide a link to a page with polls from multiple sources?

Please do more research on Rasmussen before you jump to any conclusions.

You did (provide links).  Funny how they were all negative - would it help if I posted more positive ones?  Or does anything putting positive light on Trump need "more research"?

That's kind of the point here, you know.

1. Oztinato profile image75
                Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Bizarrely we are seeing a totally hard core atheist supporting a hard core religious fundamentalist the Reverend Donald.
                Please tell us all your positive take on Donald's hard core religious fundamentalism.
                No? I thought so.

2. profile image0

They were not all negative.

True.  But why did the OP report, at best, a 38% approval?  That's pretty low, considering that the second link only showed 25% of the polls reporting such a low figure.  All of the figures in the OP were lower than 75% of the polls in the second link - did you cherry pick, looking for the worst results possible?

Of course we see total ignorance and obsfucating about why on earth a hard core atheist supports an extreme right wing religious back woods ultra right "leader "

2. profile image0

Not all all. I simply saw the news headline and added the link. I don't need to cherry pick when so many of them say the same thing.

2. crankalicious profile image87
        crankaliciousposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, lumping all the media together is just ridiculous. Where do you get your information? There are trusted news sources, which is why there are aggregating sites and fact-checking sites that people can use to check bias, if you need to. But to lump together an established news organization like the NY Times with Breitbart is something a fool does. Certainly, the NY Times tilts left, but they source their information and follow standard journalistic practice while Breitbart does not. Better to read The National Review for good information that tilts right.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"...But to lump together an established news organization like the NY Times with Breitbart is something a fool does."

Wait for it... Wait for it.... Wilderness should be along any moment now.

GA

1. profile image0

LOL.

2. wilderness profile image95

I gave a link to the source - why do you ask where I got it?  Yes, there are surely trusted news sources - any source that tells you what you want to hear.  I get that, which is why I said they are all liars.

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are the perfect victim for any scam artist who comes along.

If you say so.  Non-belief doesn't seem to support being scammed, though...

2. profile image0

I see from your profile page that you are an electrician. Your comment about the media is no different than me saying that all electricians are cheats and thieves because a couple of them ripped me off.

Is it fair for me to make that claim?

Have you had 100 different electricians in your home and every one tried to cheat you?  That's how I feel about both politicians and the media.  The truth isn't in either one of them; both have an axe to grind and everything they say is centered on that axe.

1. profile image0

Can you prove that 100 reporters all lie?

3. crankalicious profile image87

I wasn't questioning the Rasmussen link. If you're informed, you know that poll has a very specific bias, which is why RealClearPolitics is a good source to look at all the polls combined. I'm just talking about opinions in general. If all media is wrong, then where does one get their information? I agree that, as a society, we are much more susceptible to information that we want to hear due to social media and the way things like Facebook work. I realized I was getting stuff in my Facebook feed tailored to my opinions so I shut those down.

1. profile image0

Dictators and Russian intelligence follow some basic ideas. If you can't shut down media, then destroy its credibility. Once you destroy its credibility, then you gain control over the message (or lack of it).

If I don't believe anyone, then how can I resist a dictator if I have no way of knowing that he is doing wrong?

The media in the US is capable of providing whole, unbiased news without applying their own personal spin to it.  Unfortunately, they have lost the willingness to do so; it is more important to appeal to a specific audience that pays their bills.

Can't remember, for instance, the last time I read a NYT news article of a political nature without seeing several little digs at Trump.  They don't even have to be relevant - anything that vilifies him will do. 

And even longer since I saw them produce an in-depth article on anything with an honest effort to produce the "whys' and 'wherefore's" of it - instead only one side (the liberal one) is presented with a strong indication that it is wrong somehow.

1. profile image0

I will meet you halfway: If you agree that not all reporters are biased, I will agree that some are.

I will grant you that there are reporters that do not put their bias into the news.  I see them every night as they report on the fire or flood down the street or the expected weather.

But high level "reporters" from major "news" sites or the AP?  Not likely.  Their bosses aren't interested in news - they are interested in selling ads and that means attracting a large audience, which in turn means that sensationalism and emotionalism had better be a part of the "news".

2. WandaSears profile image61
                  WandaSearsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, since your opinion is that all US media is incapable of unbiased news, are you not also admitting that you are incapable of sifting through information reported by any media outlet to reach an accuratel conclusion based on facts?  If you start your search for truth with an absolute bias that there is a bias, how can you get get to the truth?

Since Jeffrey Daumer killed and ate people, does that mean you do the same?

Here, from the post you replied to: "The media in the US is capable of providing whole, unbiased news without applying their own personal spin to it."

That doesn't quite say that I think US media is incapable of unbiased news.  Want to try again?

2. wilderness profile image95

The answer is given below:

http://hubpages.com/politics/forum/1402 … ost2874636

Shame that it has come to that, that it takes hours of research to find the whole, complete, unbiased story without media spin applied.  But it's the only answer I can give you.

Fortunately we can click on various hubbers comment history and see the the tens of thousands of denunciation they have made regarding their total disdain for all forms of religious fundamentalists.
                Otherwise it's a grey moment or a Ronald Reagan style memory loss LOL

3. profile image0

Many people don't understand that a newspaper has both news coverage and opinions. The opinions go on the editorial page and tilt right or left depending on the newspaper. Mine tilts far right.

The news coverage of credible newspapers follows certain rules to avoid tilting one way or another. They don't all succeed all of the time, but the good ones do try.

TV journalism is a different story altogether.

3. PhoenixV profile image64
        PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe or trust any politician.  MSM has even less credibility than a politician. Could it be any worse than less credibility than a politician? Somewhere there is a used car salesman selling a multi level pyramid scheme and he is someones  brother in law, and he is more trustworthy than msm. I have more faith in a Yugo getting a million miles than msm. Lefties like msm because it tells them what they want to hear. Lefties are susceptible to this, unlike any other ideology. If the media is pushing save aca thats what the followers push. If msm is pushing protests, the followers burn cars. If msm is pushing global warming the followers are running around like chicken little. MSM is hemlock for the gullible.

I suspect Americans are already tired of a President who's golfing rate will eclipse all previous President's if he keeps it up and the millions of dollars the taxpayers are spending to protect him and his family (already $10 million dollars where it cost taxpayers $97 million to protect Obama's family for 8 years)

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Of course , forget that he paid for his own political campaign , Takes no salary  ,  began changing the country long before he even took office  and has systematically  unhinged the ":Left stream -Media " to the point of  total implosion AND  Flipped the entire  RNC , DNC  on its a$$  , done it ALL within the best wishes  and will of the people .

- P.C. politics is dead .
        - Established insider Washington is running scared
        -The military is back .
        - Before he took office , Canada and Mexico said , we are happy to discuss trade imbalance
        - He holds the power of congress ,  both houses
        - Nationalism is back.
        - Made in America is back .
        - Illegal aliens are literally running across the northern  borders to Canada
        -Trump is returning America to Americans .
        - Look at the economic picture alone
        - The "wild child" middle east is  quieting .
        - The Leftstream media  is out of the White House power loop

The  entire party of the left  comes up with a new and powerful political strategies  "Hate his orange hair ", " Hate rich people " ,   Literally burn down the inner cities in protest ,   and kill more cops .
        Do I have this about right ?

1. crankalicious profile image87

He paid for his own political campaign? You really are funny.

3. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What is really sad  is Trump's habit of needing praise - like a 5 year old getting a participation award at a snowflake school competition:

"The key to keeping Trump’s Twitter habit under control, according to six former campaign officials, is to ensure that his personal media consumption includes a steady stream of praise. And when no such praise was to be found, staff would turn to friendly outlets to drum some up—and make sure it made its way to Trump’s desk.

Read that again slowly: Donald Trump's team tried to mitigate his tantrums by spoon-feeding him compliments, carefully curating his sources, and maintaining a roster of friendly writers who they could count on to stroke his tremendous ego at a moment's notice. This appease-and-distract strategy bears a remarkable resemblance to that employed by exhausted parents desperately trying to cajole a shrieking toddler into staying quiet on a cross-country flight."
      http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-twitter-pacifier
      http://cdn.liberalamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Picture13-333x430.png

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
        Ken Burgessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile ... these threads are too funny ... wow, someone put together an article (or blog) about Trump needing to be spoonfed positive info... and because it happens to suit your goals to discredit Trump, or it suits what you want to believe about Trump... you therefore consider it a good news source.

Can you not see the idiocy in all this? 

If you want to find something/someone that states Trump is unpopular with 60% of the people, you can find it. 
        If you want to find similar that states Trump is popular with 60% of the people, you can find it.

If you want to find a news-source that says everything is fine and dandy with Sweden,  you can find it.  And if you want to find a news-source that is reporting of the riots and violence in Sweden, you can find it.

Your ability to choose your own reality is provided to you by various news sources, politicians, and organizations.

Trump is Captain America to many Americans.
        Trump is Hitler to many others.

Trump could double wages, cure all disease, create ten million jobs, and cut taxes in half for all people... and there will be those that hate him just as passionately. It doesn't matter what he does... he is a Russian agent answering to Putin, and he is the grand poobah of the KKK... so long as someone is out there (at CNN or MSNBC or wherever) pushing these untruths and accusations, there are people who will believe the worst.

Again, there's a stark difference between what CNN and NYT put out versus what Breitbart and Infowars put out. Sure, anyone can get bad information, but some are getting more bad information than others.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Whether because of the  recent biblical -like marriage  to  the social mediums by democrats or because they are simply not intellectually evolving at the same rate as the rest of the world ,   the new phenomena of alternative realities  has totally altered their senses of reality to the point of political and factual hallucinations  .

An alternative universe of "facts "for offering to the record.

Word salad.

1. profile image0

Without dressing.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Interesting article on the differences between the old Soviet propaganda effort and the new Russian information war: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39062663

Paraphrasing....

Unlike in Soviet times, disinformation from Moscow is primarily not selling Russia as an idea, or the Russian model as one to emulate, it is often not even seeking to be believed. Instead, it has as one aim: undermining the notion that objective truth and reporting are possible at all...

Sounds about right. You can paralyze a whole country if you undermine its self-belief.

Ken Burgessposted 7 years ago

Yes, we know, the media and it's preferred polls (the ones that tell them what they want to hear) are out to prove how terrible Trump is.
      You know who Trump is:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgEcINKV5Xw
      Got a chance to see that tonight, and I realized that was what Trump did... tell the truth, expose things for what they are.  And that's why, so long as he keeps trying, and the Democrats keep acting like idiots in Congress, Trump's support will continue to grow.

1. profile image0

I gave a link to a credible site that tracks ALL polls about Trump. Are all of them wrong?

Until he does something DRAMATIC ... actually until it is shown that his economic policies succeed or fail, and his tax and healthcare efforts succeed or fail, the polls DO NOT MATTER... the media DOES NOT MATTER... all the whining done by hollyweirdos and liberal politicians DOES NOT MATTER.

So all this is just mental masturbation over issues and polls that will be completely irrelevant to his re-election in four years.  The more he accomplishes, and the more the Democrats try to stop him from getting anything accomplished, the more the voters will favor him, and blame the Democrats.

The MSM will lose this battle because as you say 37% of Americans are locked into Trump and will support him.  Another 33% are going to wait and see what he does... and how they are affected before they make a decision.  That leaves the 30%... the intellectual elites, the liberal, socialist, Sharia Law activists, etc. that will hate him now and forever.

1. profile image0

What is your answer to my question?

Current estimates are that protecting Trump and his family will cost taxpayers $1 billion dollars when all is said and done, yet Trump talks about cutting and saving every penny possible. Just another politician sucking off the teat of the taxpayer.

1. profile image0

Many people don't know that Trump raised the membership fee on his Mar-a-Lago resort from $100,000 to $200,000 just after he got elected.

I wonder why he goes there every weekend, plays on its golf course and has dinners in the public restaurant.

I'm sure it's not a promotional gimmick...

2. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 7 years ago

So,there I was...standing at the precipice of hell...watching all the demons go to and fro...
      Which demon is the worst I thought...the orange haired one?...the Google eyed female?...or perhaps...the dark one exiting the great hall of destruction?...maybe...the ancient hypocritical one?I tried to wake up from the nightmare...but...to no avail... Orwell,Huxley,and I could do nothing more than gnash our teeth in the darkness...for the beast had been let loose once again...chaos,lies,and hatred ruled the land.
      As you all know...I am not religious...I am however feeling a strong urge to pray...

3. profile image0

By the way , The entire headline OP. explains perfectly the greatest problem OF the left .

1. profile image0

That the left, the middle and the moderate Republicans don't have enough money to buy an election for their favorite candidate?

4. profile image0

ONLY if one listens to several  viable sources of news media does one become media wise .  To pick one source - you might as well make up your own  news.

1. profile image0

I agree. How about that, Ahorseback? We agree on something! smile

2. WandaSears profile image61
        WandaSearsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Agree

5. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Barred from White House press briefing: BBC, CNN, the New York Times

Included: ABC, Fox News, Breitbart News, Reuters and the Washington Times.

Essentially, ban media that is going to fact check.

Include media that is going to a** lick.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39085235

If you can insulate enough Americans from critical coverage of politics, government will be able to get away with any kind of nonsense.

Riiiiight... I'd ban those same propaganda sites too. 
        Obama essentially banned Fox for 8 years... they didn't exactly stop reporting the news, they just wouldn't peddle Obama's lies.

9/11 Riots in the Middle East caused by a YouTube video?
        HAH!

Hah, indeed.

Anyone, know what Ken is talking about?

Nope. "Obama essentially banned Fox"? Provide any shred of proof of that statement. Never happened. Alternative fact.

Actually, after my comment above, I noticed that the BBC brought up an instance of Obama excluding Fox from an interview of a public official. The American media (including the NYT and CNN) closed ranks and they all refused to interview the guy until Fox was reinstated. Which it was.

Well done to them.

But that ugliness in no way compares to the systematic attack on every institution dedicated to exploring the facts under Trump.

6. profile image52
      Susy Beatyposted 7 years ago

i dont believe anything media says these days. except the one who slipped the other day about saying people are supposed to believe what they say. take their word for everything, as gospel. well, if it werent for the media, i dont believe we would have the malaise going on that we presently do. only to get worse. altho, they may just dig themselves into a deeper hole???

1. profile image0

People who want only one political party in America want everyone to think that way.

7. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 7 years ago

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16939356_1299222880155378_6981695733735358350_n.jpg?oh=9882333f8df87b226a435ff4223b646b&oe=5937A231

http://www.snopes.com/marine-white-house-detail/

Sub an 'I' for an 'A' and you are there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)