Making money with blogs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

If you want to start a blog, do you think it's a good idea to do it with the purpose of making money? Or is it wiser to start a blog about your passion and see how it plays out?

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any which way you look at it you have to have passion...either for the reason of the blog...hobby or whatever...or you have to have passion for making money. If you do not have it you will probably give up before the blog will get anywhere as it takes a lot of work and devotion

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd say you have to have a passion. The problem with a blog is that the search engines expect them to be regularly updated. You're going to have to keep coming up with new material week after week, year after year.  If you're not passionate about a subject, it's very hard to keep up that kind of commitment IMO.

3. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Starting a blog I'd recommend doing something you're passionate about. livewithrichard has good advice, don't monetize it yet.

Find your audience, build that audience.

And when you do monetize it, don't fret over the cents. Solid foundations take time to develop. Being passionate about the subject will help get through those tough times.

If a person goes straight to "making money" too often they try and figure out what's the most profitable. And it won't be something that they're interested in. I see too many blogs about 'making money online' by people who have no idea on how to make money online. As they say, it's the blind leading the blind.

2. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 14 years ago

It's all upto one's personal choice.

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If the purpose is to finally make money, which approach is more efficient IYO?

1. weblog profile image58
        weblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Basically Content, frequency of posting/updating, the site/blog's visibility in search engines and then traffic such things do matter. Some research in SEO may help more.

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Haunty - if you're objective is to make money then aim to make money.

Run it as a business. Find a niche and blog about it. You're an intelligent man so shouldn't have any problems with that side of things.

It may be harder, as in you'll probably end up with a subject you don't know much about, but you're not afraid of hard work I expect.

Or are you wink

Thanks, frog! smile I'm afraid I'm not that intelligent. And even it I were it has nothing to do with success IMO. smile

4. Haunty profile image74

Zsuzsy - That's a very good point, thank you. I began reading on the subject and I find it's actually a lot of work especially if your blog is not in English. In Hungary, there are less quality blogs and I'm in the process of finding them. We'll see how much passion I have... smile

weblog - thanks. All of that matters. smile

Do you think it's a good idea to have rss feeds? Because if you have them people might just read it and newer actually visit the blog.

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but give them simply summary in feeds and not full content.

Thanks

5. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

My blog is related to one of my websites (smashbreeze)and a forum this is a great way of trebling traffic and exposure. my website comes up three times on the first page on all the the search engines. (google, bing and yahoo) smashbreeze try it!

Cool. smile What is your keyword that gives the first page result?

6. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

find a word that when search engined has no results, mine is smashbreeze and I am currently playing with a few other ideas. Create some hype on forums by talking about your new website and then add tags like big, best, new, unique, fun that kind of stuff.
    Link all your sites and pages together viola!

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I have 3 blogs, all started around a passion. When I started them, I didn't even know what 'keyword research' or 'backlinks' were.

Cut to today: One does okay -- a couple thousand people a month pretty steadily. One turned out to be unexpectedly seasonal, so it gets only 2,000+ visitors per month in the summer, more in the fall and spring, and goes through the roof from October through the winter. And then, one that I haven't even posted on for more than a year and only have 50 pages on it sends me well over 12,000 visitors per month and makes me money every day. Oh, and I rank #1 for the high-paying search term AND Martha Stewart owns the domain AND -- did I mention -- I rank #1 for it! Go figure!

1. wrenfrost56 profile image56
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great job! I used mine just as a way of getting my ideas out there and so far so good.

8. Haunty profile image74

sure thing. thanks for the suggestions.

congrats on your sites!

Marisa - yes, that's why I think it's always wise to write much when you've got the inspiration. then you have material to schedule to appear later on the blog

1. wrenfrost56 profile image56
      wrenfrost56posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck! Like your profile picture by the way.

Thanks. The same goes for yours. smile

9. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I would say start your blog and try to get a following before you try to monetize it.  Pick a niche and become the expert for that niche and let your followers decide when its time to monetize.  Once they are regular visitors then you know you have a decent chance to convert their page views to purchasing views and I'm not talking the few cents you get from Google. 

You have to give your viewers something and keep giving.  Zig Ziglar, one of the greatest salesmen ever, has quoted "you can achieve all you want in life, IF you help enough other people to achieve what THEY want in life."

Thanks, Richard. I think I'm going this way.

10. Mac Mission profile image62
    Mac Missionposted 14 years ago

Richards answer is really helpful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)