Pinterest is blocking ToughNickel.com

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

I'm updating my Pinterest today.

When I pin any hub from ToughNickle.com, I get the following error:

"Sorry! We’ve blocked this link because it may need to spam."

It used to work. I have hubs from ToughNickle that I pinned in the past, but I can't pin new ones and I can't change the URL to update anything that was moved into ToughNickle. I get that same error.

Other niche sites seem to be okay. I pinned some today from other niche sites with no problem.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just tried to pin one of my toughnickel hubs and received the same message...sad

2. lifelovemystery profile image77
      lifelovemysteryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have a Hub on ToughNickel and posted a link to it from Pinterest this week. The link on Pinterest has been stripped from the image.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

Thanks for reporting.  Alison (the TN editor) created a ticket for me to ping them.  I've done it.  Hopefully it will be unblocked soon!

Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Paul, I just tried it today to see if it was fixed. I'm still getting the error for anything in ToughNickle – "Sorry! We blocked this link because it may lead to spam."

3. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paul.

3. Nell Rose profile image88
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

I have been telling Hubs about this for ages, and not got an answer yet.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 7 years ago

Oh boy. I'll ping them again.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

They probably have algos that spot excessive pinning and there is always encouragement in these forums to pin your own stuff like crazy. Which some people would call spamming.

Looks like another self-inflicted injury.

6. RoadMonkey profile image82
    RoadMonkeyposted 7 years ago

I tried going to the site toughnickle.com as I had never heard of it but my browser couldn't find it.

That's a common misspelling for nickel, but you need to spell it right – "el" not "le".

http://toughnickel.com

7. Glenn Stok profile image97

Paul, This issue with Pinterest blocking ToughNickel.com is still not resolved.

8. Glenn Stok profile image97

Paul, just a heads up — this is still not resolved with Pinterest blocking ToughNickel. Is there any news on this issue?

9. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I wonder whether HubPages can resolve it.  HubPages is getting banned by an automated filter that is detecting excessive posting from HubPages. 

So far, HubPages management have been able to say, please manually rectify the ban, and Pinterest agrees.  But I doubt that Pinterest has a way to exclude HubPages from the automated filter so it will just keep on banning HubPages again and again, and then have to rectify it again and again.  And I suspect some Hubbers ARE spamming, because there will always be newbies who are over-enthusiastic.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Pinterest loses patience and says, tough luck.

HubPages is fine. I don't have trouble pinning hubs that are still on the main site. Only ToughNickel is banned as far as I can tell.

I agree with you that it must be that too many Hubbers have abused Pinterest. It's just interesting that it's been done more so with ToughNickel.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Only ToughNickel is banned right now, but the other niche sites and HP itself have been banned before.

Speaking of banning, I've discovered the same thing as DzyMissLizzy - Google Chrome simply refuses to put HubPages on my front page!   

I've been using Firefox on my old PC, but the PC died yesterday and I've had to switch to my laptop, which uses Chrome. The way to get exactly what you want on the front page of Chrome is to delete your history, then visit each of the sites you want listed, in the order you want them.    I did that, but even though I visited HubPages, it doesn't appear.

I tried the same with PetHelpful and HealDove - same problem. In between, I visited a couple of bellydance sites and they were added immediately.

Scary stuff.

Marisa, I wish I knew what you're talking about. What is your definition of your front page? I re-read your post several times to try to understand what you mean, but I'm totally lost. What am I missing? What is a front page?

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted in this thread as it's off topic.  I mention it because it's another indication, maybe, that HubPages has acquired a bad reputation with some sites.

When I say front page, I'm referring to the front page of Google Chrome (the page you see when you open Google Chrome, which has thumbnails of your frequently visited sites).

I don't use Chrome. I don't like the privacy issues since Google tracks everything you do on the web with it. Therefore I didn't know what he front page is. It's called home page on other browsers.

Whatever is the problem you're having with your hubs not appearing on your "front page" has nothing to do with HubPages. But I'm sure you know that, so I'm still not sure what you really mean.

Isn't the front page just a localized listing of sites you frequently visit? Safari, for example, shows a list of sites I visit often and it's all done locally on my computer. No other entity has control over the list. Are you saying that with Chrome it's different—that Google decides what to put there? If that's the case, all the more reason why I don't like Chrome.

Yes, it's a localised list of sites you frequently visit - but that's why it is SO peculiar. 

No matter what I do, I can't get Chrome to add HubPages to that list, or any of the vertical sites either.  You'd expect Chrome to mindlessly add any site I visit frequently, and generally it does - but it steadfastly ignores my visits to HubPages and the vertical sites. 

I even tried the nuclear option - I deleted all my history, then visited each of the sites I wanted on the list one by one.  Sure enough, all the other sites popped up in the list as I would expect - but it ignored my visits to HubPages and the vertical sites, even though there were still three spots available on the list.

MsLizzy had the same problem.  Obviously this is not HubPages doing and I'm not saying it is - it seems like Google Chrome has taken action to block HubPages from the browser and that's a worry.

You got me curious now. I feel like installing Chrome just to see if I have the same problem. Maybe I'll do that in a couple of days. If I do, I'll let you know what I find. It would be good if others chimed in on this, otherwise so far it's only the two of you having the problem.

I hate to say it, but when DzyMsLizzy was having the problem, I assumed it was just because she's not the most tech-savvy person I know.   So when I opened Chrome myself, I was surprised. 

I Googled how to change those thumbnails and followed the instructions to reset them a couple of times - all to no avail.  Seems Chrome just has a grudge against the HubPages network...

10. randomcreative profile image88
    randomcreativeposted 7 years ago

So frustrated to hear that the ToughNickel issue hasn't been resolved yet. Currently, I have a ToughNickel article getting 150-200 hits per day. I tried to schedule some new pins for it via Tailwind to keep up the traffic numbers...but nope.

11. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Pinterest sems to be blocking Toughnickel again?

Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've been checking it ever since I reported it months ago. Pinterest has always been blocking Toughnickel for a long time now with no solution in sight. Paul issued a ticket to look into the problem two months ago but nothing ever came of it.

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

I've done it a bunch of times. All the others should be cleared. I'll give it another shot.

13. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

OK, I think toughnickel is finally unblocked.  Sorry it took so long. -Paul

1. Nell Rose profile image88
      Nell Roseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul! smile

2. Nell Rose profile image88
      Nell Roseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Can we get HobbyLark unblocked now too? Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)