age profiling help

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (29 posts)
  1. HubChief profile image72
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

people, i have volunteered to reseach on correlation between age distribution vs hub contents.

Could you please visit my age profile hub and vote on your own age profile. The clicks are all anonymous to me (I think hubstaff knows where to find the data as they would not allow you to vote twice)

I am going to create a pure statistical correlation of the type of content vs age profile distribution. So please help and just go to my hub to vote for your age profile.

If this seems promotional then let me know. was there a voting feature forum, I would have done so in teh forum. I read the forum on what is your age, but not sure if all numbers are true.

2. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Your poll is inaccurate because you have
    18-25
    25-30
    30-35 and so on.

I fall under two categories as I am 30 so if you fix that your poll will be more accurate and give you better results.

3. HubChief profile image72

thanks for pointing out. have corrected that.

4. HubChief profile image72

only 4 people so far... More please!

5. HubChief profile image72

and i got one more.. SO far, for 5 votes median is 25-34 range. can I request bigger sample, as it would create some more interesting study. go people. you can help voting.

i request to hubstaff, please do not count that hub in for my profile scoring. It is just inner drive and missing tools in this forum to catch data readily.

6. Earthscribe profile image78
    Earthscribeposted 14 years ago

36... you can add it in, I'm not fallin for your promo lol

7. HubChief profile image72

dear earthscribe,

if it would allow me to add your vote, I would definitely. my hub score and my hubs show I am not doing promo specially that I have joined only 7 days ago.

In fact, if the facility was there in discussions, I would never ever post this request. Rather a direct voting chart. believe me or not. I have the plan B to goto another hub discussion where everyone has posted their age. If I donot get enough sample, I'd do the manual scanning and ticking in excel.

Being a genuine writer is what we are all about. I am sure you
    would enjoy reading my articles when I post this research in 2 months from now after getting enough statistical sample.

thanks for providing your age.

8. HubChief profile image72

as of now, I have 7 people voted. no one less than 25 year old.

median still stands on 25-34 category.

Keep going. I am starting my resaerch topic this Sunday and would provide more feedback.

9. Earthscribe profile image78
    Earthscribeposted 14 years ago

lol no problem HubChief lol

I really meant to come in, I was just jivin' ya. *voted*

10. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I Object to being referred to as: And So On!! smile

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As do I!

11. HubChief profile image72

cool 9 votes, the median is more towards 35+ now.

we definitely can do a better sample. I have a lot of confidence in this forum.. woudl not give up until Sunday at least...

12. HubChief profile image72

Nelle, pearl, I am still learning..

So please tell me how can I address your objection. I am really serious on this one and owudl love to have automated response. It would save me a lot of my time over weekends scanning the "what age are you post!".

smile

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I honestly don't see your point to the whole survey. Pehaps you should explain why you feel that a hubber's age is something that the Hubpage staff should care about.

HubChiefposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have tried to answer this question in the post itself. So you do not have to go there.

I am an analyst by profession and the blogs have created a lot of interest in me. I want to do some analysis and present it to hubbers and check if they can conclude unknown ideas from this analysis.

for hubpages, marketing effort could be improved more by this.

more on the blog. I do not insist to click on survey if you are not convinced> i would love to have it by will and not by force.

have a great day!smile

14. profile image0

You may have tried to answer this question but you haven't succeeded. I don't understand why you think the age of a hubber correlates to their writing.

You're asking for personal info, and I think you should explain why it's important.

It's also interesting that you only differentiate between age groups under 35. It's as if the only distinction is between under 35 and older 35. I would also like you to explain why in your mind that's relevant.

HubChiefposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nah... I have posted 6 categories.
      0% Below 18
      0% 18-25
      36% 26-35
      27% 36-45
      27% 46-60
      9% Above 60

the median age is where 50th percentile of hubbers are below and 50% higher. here are the stats of 11 people posted on the hub. Your vote is anonymous as I am using hubpages vote. I would not know who voted what. I am just going to run set theory analysis to check the distribution of age profiles vs frquency of particular  hubs, to see, if a hubsite has more mature writers then the type of content is also on mature topics.

regarding benefits, using that analysis, the hubbers can target specific range of topics as they would know the age profile distrbution, this would also discourage bad writers to post as they would know this is quality content site...and they have zero chances of spamming.

now depending upon content frequency and age frequency, hubpages can collaborate with more focussed advertisers to get us sign up deals that would make us and hub pages more money.

Can not explain more than that.. This is just begining. when I bring back analysis then it would provide more depth.

By that way thanks for pushing explanation as it is helping me document my ideas. I am not worried someone else will steal that as I know my analytics and my learnt are still in my head and no one can steal that..

smile

15. profile image0

Okay I read your hub. Get your points.

16. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Your statistics are definitely slanted. You do not differentiate your age categories in the same size of sampling. You have lumped everyone from 46 - 60 in a single group. I am sure you would have a far more accurate representation of ages if this were as divided into 10 year groups the same as your younger age groups. Are you age-ist? smile No offense, but it seems to me you are discounting a potentially large group here.

17. profile image0

RedElf you're entirely right. And to boot a majority of that group is the baby boomer cohort.

That's why the motives don't feel that pure to me I think.

18. HubChief profile image72

well, I want to keep it as anonymous as possible. and that is why have created large bins.

my profiling is more life-stage oriented.. here is the explanation

below 18: teens and students
    18 - 24: mix of employees, career seekers and students
    25 - 34: singles and married people with chidren below 5 years
    35 -45 : parents of teens (unmarried singles with higher expected levels of maturity)
    45 - 60: hined, expert adults finishing up responsibilites
    60+: close to retirement, strating a wholy new life

by the way intentions would remain pure. I am my self a parent of 5 year old.

No age discriminations at all.

still it is ok for you judge as we do not know each other very well yet. call me baby boomer or any thing, my respect sense remains same for all good authors. no more arguments from my side anymore.

I am glad I tried explaining, it is ok if you do not want to be part of the sample.

19. profile image0

I think your thread title put me off somewhat. Now that it's morning I perhaps can figure that out. Age profiling sounds very negative. I don't know where you're from but in the US "race profiling" has been a big issue - particularly in the past few weeks. And the phras "age profiling" makes it feel discriminatory.

Also your design criteria is weak. When you put forth ideas like this, you should be ready to explain and defend. And not get so frustrated with those of us who question.

But I have a hubber score to put right so I'm off to write.

20. HubChief profile image72

brining this QA session live for those who have not yet seen this survey.

21. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

I'm 17...I'm not on your scale...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oops sorry L.A-M Nothing personal bout my last post ,but I remember some ker fluffle about someone else age and them being under 18 and rah rah , guess if youre here ya dont have to be 18 lol

22. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Think for more visability you should have posted your request in the Hubbers Hangout ,since the Sandpit doesnt come up on Hubtivity...

Also there really shouldnt be anyone answeing in the 'Under 18' section.

But hey I voted ,only took me a minute,good luck.

23. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol but you already are.

24. HubChief profile image72

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/19587

here is the link to forum topic where i have posted the age survey results so far.

Seems we are a mature crowd here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)