Copyright

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. KsenijaZ profile image81
    KsenijaZposted 6 years ago

Hello,
    as I was exploring and reading some of the hubs I saw a copyright sign or some copyright text. Is this 'a must'? Do we need to protect our work in that way? Can someone steal our articles, publish them somewhere else? How is with photos?

Thank you all for your answers!
    k

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, of course our hubs can be stolen, and they often are sad They can also take your original photos. Some of us have a second career alongside our writing that involves tracking down the thieves and issuing DMCAs to bloggers, site owners and webhosting companies. Fun.

KsenijaZposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Huh, ok, well it's kinda logical wink Thank you for your answer.
        I just read another discussion about copyright. I am not really worried (mostly I only 'care' about my poems), I was just wondering if this is a must thing (with poetry for example).
        So what do you do when you find the thieves? Write them?

Issue a DMCA. You can do a search for more info. I expect someone has written a hub on the subject smile

Thank you, I will check it!

2. John Welford profile image78
      John Welfordposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The law on copyright varies between countries In the UK you automatically have the copyright to your work - you do not need to register it or use the copyright symbol. However, this may not be the case in other countries.

And - as someone else said - what do you do if your copyright is abused? I have had dozens of articles stolen and published elsewhere on a site that is no longer current but is still available on the Web. There is no-one I can contact to complain, and I cannot re-publish my work elsewhere because it appears as though I am guilty of plagiarism if I try!

Laws are great if they can enforced, but utterly useless if not!

3. agvulpes profile image85
      agvulpesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If you scroll to the very bottom of each Hub page you will see that Hubpages themselves have declared a 'copyright' for themselves and we 'authors' and there is also a link that takes you to a 'help' page, which explains what to do if your content has been copied without authority smile

4. Ashish Dadgaa profile image48
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Ksenija,

Yes as Bev said we do need to protect our work.
      If you are keen to know something more on this then make sure you read this useful information. I am sure it will help you a lot
      https://hubpageshelp.com/promotion/Lear … -Your-Hubs

Good Luck

5. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi KsenijaZ,

You own the copyright to your article regardless of whether or not you choose to place a notice. However, as others have mentioned, unfortunately content theft happens anyway (some people don't realize the work is under copyright, but many simply don't care, sadly). Your work may be stolen either way, at which point you would want to file a DMCA complaint against the thief.

Thank you for your reply!
        K

2. Jason mackenzie profile image76
    Jason mackenzieposted 6 years ago

Hi, and what happens when you issue a DMCA to them? Do they withdraw the stolen material? Also curious to know what DMCA stands for, thanks, regards...

Google is your friend, Jason big_smile

Only because I can't remember what the letters stand for. It's a take-down notice. Most reputable sites will comply.

3. KsenijaZ profile image81
    KsenijaZposted 6 years ago

Thank you all for your answers!
    Yes, what would I do if some hub is stollen - I guess nothing much ;-) I would follow the recomended steps and not worry much. Mostly I was wondering if I have to put the copyright sign but it's all clear now.
    Thank you Ashish for the link - you have saved my time, very useful information.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image48
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@KsenijaZ,

You are welcome smile

4. stephenteacher profile image69
    stephenteacherposted 6 years ago

DMCA is only for United States.

Google does not hate stolen stuff. (Just do a search for wikileaks, bittorrent, etc.) They are not the internet police. Nobody is.

Countries like china, russia, vietnam, pakistan, iran, turkey, etc. do not give a rat's behind about US law, let alone google. Eastern Europe uses yandex, not google. Yandex is notorious for loving piracy.

I got over stuff stolen a long time ago. It happens, and it's just the cost of doing business on the internet. You just work a little harder to beat them.

Granted, HUB has their own rules. But you are free to not post stuff here. Just because HUB dislikes stolen or copied content, has nothing to do with google. On youtube, you can view a ton of copyrighted material posted by just about anybody. Their results are filled with copied, duplicate, stolen content.

The whole idea of the internet, is that it should be free and unregulated. Google cares only when it affects their bottom line.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

DMCA is only for the United States, however Europe, the UK, Australia and New Zealand all have their own equivalents.  In practice, most hosting services in those countries will accept and act on a DMCA notice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)