I'm making $0.01 per day and I've been active for more than 2 months.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Filip Stojkovski profile image82
    Filip Stojkovskiposted 7 years ago

Hi, everyone! I'm making $0.01 per day or even less on some days, and I have already been actively writing Hubs for about two months. I have 14 featured articles so far, I think that I'm doing all I can, or am I? Am I missing out on something? Or is this the normal learning curve and should I be more patient with earning my first payout?
    Thank your,
    Filip

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I suggest focusing on your area of expertise in game development and computer programming. Search engines favor writers with authority in a topic.

Use SEO tools to identify keyword phrases that you can use in your articles so search engines understand the topic better. It's also a great way to identify the actual searches that people do. Sometimes we come up with an idea for an article we want to write, but it turns out that not many people do searches on it.

Run all articles through a grammar checker to make sure they meet the quality standards of the search engines. You might also write shorter paragraphs.

Making money on HubPages is really the third step in the process after producing the highest-quality content possible and marketing the articles as aggressively as possible. Once those two steps are solid, the money will start to increase.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It takes time. Find people on HubPages who share your interests. Read their posts, comment on them, and follow them. Use social media to promote your hubs. It usually takes people about 9 to 12 months to reach their first payout. You have to enjoy writing and being part of the HubPages Community to stay with it. 

Also follow the advice of promism.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Catherine, no amount of interaction with other hubbers and internal traffic will increase earnings. Earnings only increase from external traffic, preferably via search engines. In fact, all that HP interaction means less time writing.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image77

I thought a view was a view whether from other hubbers or from the outside world. Having other  hubbers view your hubs is one of the reasons you make the effort to have followers. Am I wrong? Can someone point me to where HP says only outside views count towards payment?

1. Credence2 profile image78
            Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have never heard that viewers had to be from the outside before you get paid. There are thousands of people that are hubbers here. Since I am neither Stephen King or Hemingway, I have yet to earn enough to consider retirement based solely on my writing. A penny a day? That's about right.

1. CatherineGiordano profile image77

The earnings are just pin money. I write because I like doing it. It's a hobby. I like to make payout because money is how you keep score.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Credence2 - there may be thousands of people who have joined HubPages, but our active community of writers is actually very small.

2. theraggededge profile image96
            theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Only external views count.  Otherwise the system would be open to abuse. In any case hubbers can't click on ads, and this is a revenue sharing site smile

http://hubpageshelp.com/money/learning- … y-hubpages

Edit... I'm afraid, that apart from the social aspect and perhaps the odd share on social media, the number of followers means nothing in regards to earning from Hubpages.

3. Dreamworker profile image85
            Dreamworkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Social networking views do count, but not as much.  This is what I've read from other hubbers, so I'm sure it is true.

Also, I don't think it's a waste of time to interact with other hubbers because we all help one another as we  go along.

Getting followers is not something we should try to do.  People who like our work will follow, and that's fine, but there will never be enough Hubbers to equal the number of views we get from search engines...therefore, our best efforts should lean towards garnering them.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92
              Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Views from other HubPages members and from social media referrals both count equally with search engine views as far as earnings are concerned, but since there are so few HubPages members compared with people who use search engines or social media sites, it's very unlikely that writers will attract enough HubPages readers to generate any significant earnings, which is why we always advise writers to focus on writing for search.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes I'm afraid you are wrong, Catherine.

The purpose of followers is to encourage a sense of community, where we can all learn from each other, which raises the standard of writing and keeps us all motivated.

A good analogy is to think of a workplace.  It's nice to stop in the tearoom or around the water cooler and share how your day is going and perhaps discuss problems with your fellow workers.  It refreshes us for the hard slog of work.  However, all the time you're spending at the water cooler, you're not getting any work done.

Reading and commenting on other people's Hubs, following, posting in the forums etc - all of that is the water cooler. 

You might have noticed, when HubPages launched its new front page, that the high earners featured were people most of us had never heard of.  That's because they don't spend time networking within the HubPages community - they focus on writing Hubs, and if they do any self-promotion or networking, it's mainly outside HubPages.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
              Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa Wright,

Haha...excellent example of water cooler smile smile

I agree with you that people on the front page are not active on HubPages community. They might be working hard when we are sleeping big_smile

3. Dreamworker profile image85
      Dreamworkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I took a quick look at your article on perfectionism, and here are my first impressions:

Your title is way too long.  Something like "Why You Should Stop Trying to Be Better" while simpler, gets your point across.  You can always explain the details within your hub.

Your capsules are too long.  Break them up into smaller pieces.

Your language is mostly far too advanced for the average reader.  Newspapers are written at 6th grade reading level, and you should try to use that as a guideline.  Long, fancy words are hard for many people to understand, so they don't read!

Your writing is excellent, no question, so your problem appears to be formatting.  It might also be choice of topics.  Another problem might be competition.  Type your key words into a Google search to see how many other people are writing on this same topic.  The fewer, the better.  Also, who is doing the writing? 

If I want to write about Cancer, nobody will read my work because I'll be competing with the Cancer Society site and other big medical sites.

Finally, you need to learn a few things about using SEO...Search Engine Optimization.  For example, I always try to use the same or similar wordage in my first and last sentences that I use in my title.  That way search engines can more easily find my work.

As for earnings...few people start off making much money at all.  It was 6 months before I made my first payout and now, after 5 years, I'm finally making good, but not great, money here.  Right now I have 108 articles.  14 is just a beginning.  You need to become "known" on the net, and it takes time for your hubs to age.

The Learning Center offers a wealth of information that can help you, and I suggest you take the time to read it.  You can access it by clicking on "Help" at the top of this page.

Hope this helps.

4. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Two issues: Time and volume.

It can take time for articles to get indexed in the search engine and start receiving traffic; my experience is that it takes a minimum of 3 months for the article to receive significant traffic because it needs time to get a good position in the search engine results pages. And even then you're not guaranteed the article will have a good enough position to garner much traffic. Traffic = $

Also, again - my experience - I'd say a minimum of 30 articles are needed to start getting a decent amount of earnings; that is, if those articles are getting decent traffic. It is said that you will earn most of your income from 20% of your articles. So that gives you an idea of why it can take a good number of articles to make money. Probably more than 30 articles.

You have to have articles that attract a significant amount of traffic, which means they are on subjects that people search for, the titles of the articles are search-engine friendly (what people type into the search engine) and the competition for that topic is not bigger than you can beat.

Just understanding how to get traffic on the Web takes some very serious study.

5. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Filip,

It can take a long time to start earning more steadily. Earnings can also depend heavily on factors like the time of year and the type of subject you're writing about. Our best advice is to write as many articles as possible and give your content time to mature.

2. Filip Stojkovski profile image82
    Filip Stojkovskiposted 7 years ago

Thanks, everyone, that was some very good and informative feedback, I really like that authors here are aiming for quality and write what really interest them. I'll probably keep writing, it's fun and rewarding experience. Thank you once again.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wish you well. Be patient, write quality hubs full of useful information, that go the extra mile, and in time you will become an authority. Once established, views and earnings should increase.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)