Know where the hub is featured? e.g. Soapboxie, Owlcation, HP, etc

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (43 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 years ago

Regarding niche sites, at the moment, all we really know from looking on the My Account page is if a hub is featured or not. 

It would be useful to know *where* the hub is featured (Soapboxie, Owlcation, HubPages, PairedLife etc.). 

At the moment there is no way of knowing without actually going into the hub and seeing it.  It would be great to be able to see with a glance.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can see on the profile page. Or by using the filter at the top left of the account page. I more or less remember which of mine is which. Some people probably have so many, that mere memory is not enough, lol.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

It would be cool if there were an icon for the niche site next to the article on the account page.  You can use the filter like Will said or you can also hover over the link and see what site the article is on, but it would be a lot more convenient for some kind of label/icon to be used to show you what site the article is on. I've thought the same thing.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

3. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There are two ways on your profile page to see which site a hub is posted to. You can use the "select a site" filter to show all your hubs on a particular site, or just hover your mouse over the hub title, and the url, which of course shows the site that hub is on, will appear at the bottom of the window.

4. Ashley John11 profile image60
      Ashley John11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agreed with Paul

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When you hover over the name of a Hub on your My Account Page, look at the bottom of the page - you'll see the URL of the Hub.  Which will tell you where the Hub is.

2. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

I must admit I get confused from time to time. I regularly confuse caloriebee with delishably as people might have noticed. And when I try to remember the parenting one, 'kids-R-us' pops into my head.

No idea what letterpole is about.

PaulGoodman67posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have my own list of them and what each is about, which I use when I want to submit.

Rough summary:
      TatRing - tattoos and body art
      PetHelpful - pets
      Bellatory - beauty tips
      Delishably - food and recipes
      AxleAddict - cars and motorized
      CalorieBee - fitness and weght loss
      FeltMagnet - crafts
      Dengarden - home and garden tips
      LevelSkip - computer gaming
      ReelRundown - movies
      Spinditty - music
      Exemplore - esoteric, astrology, supernatural
      ToughNickel - frugal living
      WeHaveKids/KindredBond - kids and family
      TurboFuture - techno, electronic, computer
      WanderWisdom - travel
      LetterPile - literary
      Holidappy - celebrations, xmas cards, seasonal events
      Soapboxie - politcs, discussion topics
      SkyAboveUs - outdoors
      HowTheyPlay - sports related
      HobbyLark - hobbies, board games, card games
      Owlcation - educational
      HealDove - medicine, healing, health
      PairedLife - relationships, romance

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

There are various methods to find out, but all of them are a pain when you have over 200 hubs spread across various accounts.  The My Accounts pages could and should imho be updated to reflect the post-niche world.

The profile page is aimed at the public, which is fine.  I assume most Hubbers, like me, use the My Accounts page for checking stats and as a starting point for editing and updating.

I already have a bunch of lists, including which hubs I submitted where and what the outcome was.  HP could make things a little easier for me.  smile

Don't forget the site filter. It makes the stuff you are talking about pretty easy.

It really doesn't do what I need.  What I want to isn't difficult, I just want to do it quicker.  I want to see at a glance from the main list where a hub is featured without having to mess about.  Because it is time consuming if you are doing it on a regular basis.  And yes, I have too many hubs to remember the history of them all.

What was mentioned earlier, some way of floating or clicking by a hub title and a window opening that gives you the key info about the hub would be more useful to me.

This thread is in New Features Suggestions because I want HP to consider introducing a new feature...  smile

Well, don't give up, lol.

If I wanted advice on how to do sh*t, I would have put the thread in the how do I do sh* section.  smile

I personally could lose the Score column from the stats page.  It seems a little archaic now that HP is trying to be more professional.  The comments column doesn't interest me much either.  So there is room there for something else.  smile

Sigh.

Yeah, sigh.  smile

2. Will Apse profile image89

Looks like you will just have to get by with the worthless advice of your fellow hubbers, Paul big_smile. Ain't life a b*itch smile

1. NateB11 profile image88

lol

2. NateB11 profile image88

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13523827_f248.jpg

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I made my suggestions to HP, which was my sole intention. smile

I posted in the offical HP suggestions area deliberately.  Perhaps I should've have just emailed HP instead.  I do my best.  smile

I reckon the email option might be best, if you are determined to trash other peoples suggestions.big_smile

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I made the same suggestion some time ago. My idea was an icon, like instead of the"H" for all featured hubs there could be a different icon for each niche site.

We can work around it, but it would be nice to be able to tell at a glance. I hope you have better luck than I did convincing to team to implement this.

I'm just throwing it out there.  I've been taking HP more seriously recently. They may come up with something better than anything me or any of the other commenters have suggested, but I feel the My Stats page could be improved.  The "H" icon in the featured column now seems a little archaic after we moved to niches.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
          Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I agree that a different icon instead of an H for each niche would be nice, but I always found it easy enough to just look a the URL at the bottom of the screen when I hover my mouse over any hub title. That clearly shows the niche site it's in without any effort, as several people already mentioned in this thread.

I wonder if you have that option disabled with your browser. If you don't see the URL, check your settings to display it when hovering. It really makes thing easy, and it's also useful to know where you're  going before you click anything. I've avoided clicking to malware sites with that feature.

I guess that workaround will have to do.  I still hope for something more substantive however from HP.

The underlying problem is that publishing and hub statuses have got more and more complicated and the stats page doesn't really reflect this.

When I began here, you wrote a hub and published it and that was about it.  Now the hub can be in different states and published on different sites. 

I find myself having to make my own lists of if and when I submitted a hub to a niche site and what happened.

Part of the problem is that I created my own "niches" back in the days of subdoms.  It was a reasonable strategy at the time. But now complicates things.  That said, when you have one single huge list of hubs, that's unwieldy too.

We need a dashboard that's more intricate, I think.  The more information we have, the better.  HP wants us to write more, which is good, but managing lots of hubs can become a headache.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I perhaps didn't explain myself well enough and it's confused people. Anyway, I've brought up some of the issues with HP, which was my intention.  I appreciate people are being well-intentioned.  I will probably just try emailing HP next time.

3. Jean Bakula profile image91
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Paul,
      I print out my A/C page to keep track of what's still on HP that can still be moved to a niche. I check off hubs I fixed up, and cross them off the list once they are moved. It helps to keep your work a little more organized.

In the beginning, a green pencil or mark was next to every hub that was moved. Now that's not true. I go crazy trying to recall which unmarked hubs have already been moved to niches. It would have been nice if the administration had been consistent. Out of 74 hubs, I have about a dozen that have been moved to niches, but have no way to see that unless I go through the list of all the niche sites on the A/C page. And I don't always agree with the niche they choose. But it's a lot of work for both sides.

Jean, I need to correct you with one thing you said. The green pencil never was used to indicate which hubs were moved. It was, and still is, used to indicate which hubs were modified by editors.

You probably thought it meant that they were moved because all your moved hubs were edited at the beginning. Later, you probably were doing better editing hubs for niche standards yourself and no longer needed curator edits.

I had the reverse experience. I had a lot of hubs that were moved at the beginning of the niche split-off that never needed editing, so they don't have the green pencil. Then later they got tougher and edited some before moving. So I have green pencils on the more recent moved hubs.

The only way I can quickly see which hubs were moved, and where they are, is to hover my mouse over them — or to use the site filter.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91

Oh, OK. Thanks Glenn.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jean, if you go to the top of your account page where it says "Filter" and choose "HubPages", then the list that displays will be ONLY the Hubs that are stlil on the main site.

Likewise if you choose "Exemplore" in that box, you will see all the Hubs that are on Exemplore, etc.

Thanks Marisa,
          I know that. But when I pull up all the HP list, many have the green pencils, and I thought that symbolized they had been moved to niches. And about a third of what was moved to niches don't have pencils. Glenn explained it. I believe there still should be a symbol of some type when you look at what's left on HP yet so it's easier to see what needs to be fixed or moved. I understand it's a lot of work for the staff. But as for me, I'm moving old hubs, and don't have time to write new ones, I'm too busy with my own clients. So when people see 5 year old articles, I doubt they are too interested, although like you, I write evergreen.

It's easy to see what's left that still needs to be moved. As Marisa and I said earlier, just change the filter to "HubPages" and you will see only those hubs that are still on the main site.

I do that, I find the moving time ridiculously slow. I get any hub I ask moved to a niche, but the 2 a month rule is strict, and the turn around time is often two weeks, even if they don't change anything. There's a lot of good material already on here just dying on our HP A/C's. And I don't have time to write more, my time is spent with my own clients now. So the niches did help me. But don't they have both robots and real people looking at our hubs still on HP? It looks bad to see such old hubs being moved to niches, it would be more popular if they speeded up the process so we had time to write new material.

Where would you move a hub about collectibles?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

The decisions whether to move to the niche sites are all done by human beings. 

I would try HobbyLark, but don't worry too much about it.  Once, I submitted a Hub and accidentally selected totally the wrong niche site!   All they did was email me and say, "you recently submitted a Hub to ...... but we think it will fit much better on ......, so we're moving it there."

So if you pick the wrong niche site, they will fix it.

OK, thanks Marisa,
                  I have something I both use and collect, and looked at the niche list, so wasn't sure.

Hobbylark would be perfect, although I have experienced that the staff decides what's best, so that's OK too.

Best,
                  Jean

4. Glenis Rix profile image93
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

Don't you think the names of some of the niche sites are ridiculous? They give few clues to what might be found there. Will, re. Letterpile. My creative writing gets slotted in there. (I agree that it would be helpful to have an icon on the account page)

5. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 6 years ago

Hello Paul, you can tell which niche site your hub is on from your profile page. In red letters right above your title it will say something like 'INSPIRATIONAL POETRY' that would be Hub Pages but if 'LETTERPILE.COM' the .com indicates it is the niche site.

6. Will Apse profile image89

I have a feeling a  lot of people have never noticed the site filter. It is the only way to explain this apparent problem.

7. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I am similar with the site filter and pointing at hyperlinks.  Neither lets me see where everything is at a glance.  Yes they are alternative ways to put one's own list together but that's all.

I had another idea which I started a thread on, which is to have Gmail-style organizational system of hubs.  The more time I can spend writing and editing hubs and the less time organizing, the better.

8. Will Apse profile image89

If people really cannot use the site filter as it is, then HP might think about modifying it and offering further choices.

Add 'All Niche Sites', for example. Or exclude 'HP.com'.

That would not make our account pages too complex and should be technically easy to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)