In the Name of Compassion

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

"compassion noun
    pity, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, care, concern, solicitude, sensitivity, warmth, love, tenderness, mercy, leniency, tolerance, kindness, humanity, charity. ANTONYMS indifference, cruelty."
    OnlineThesaurus

Democrats have ...
    "pity, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, care, concern, solicitude, sensitivity, warmth, love, tenderness, mercy, leniency, tolerance, kindness, humanity, charity."

Republicans have ...
    "indifference, cruelty."

Furthermore, Democrats are generous and giving, while republicans are money grabbing/stashing.

And thats the bottom line.
    Right?

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That would be the "bottom line" if your definitions for Democrats and Republicans were correct, unfortunately they are not, at least not any more. If they were correct the 535 congressman would not all except 5 be millionaires. Doesn't that suggests they are the same and their supposed titles' definitions are a deception? There is a pretension of those definitions presented to the people with the intention to deceive us but there is no difference, they b both are defined as you did Republican.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And people wonder why compromise is so difficult.

Yes, they have to keep pretending.

1. Live to Learn profile image61

Pretending what? That we couldn't find a solution if we worked together and didn't have to have everything our way?

Pretending to be seeking a solution while not intending to find one. The solution is to follow the wording of the Constitution rather than England's stablished order this nation's founders put in place in beginning it. Perfecting this union of states and people does not allow for parties, gender nor ethnic differences and no other divisions, as the election process written therein shows.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

So, the democrats are only using the ideal of compassion while actually they are $$$$ grabbing.
    ?

Yes, without a doubt.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

There is nothing wrong with compassion of course, but logic needs to be considered as well.
    Logic is based on facts. Those with too much compassion may not have all the facts.

Logic is based on Reason:
    reason, judgment, logical thought, rationality, wisdom, sense, good sense, common sense, sanity;

Reason reason noun
    1 cause, ground(s), basis, rationale; motive, motivation, purpose, point, aim, intention, objective, goal; explanation, justification, argument, defense, vindication, excuse, pretext.

I'd have to disagree with you. Compassion is not applied simply because one lacks facts. You don't let a guy lie bleeding on the side of the road because you know he purposely stepped into traffic.

I would say compassion comes into play primarily because you have the facts. I think compassion is hard to achieve if you lack the ability to empathize. You don't have to walk in another person's shoes to understand that many more factors than one's own actions lead you down the path in life you walk. 'There but by the grace of God go I." That's the fact which eludes many.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Dehumanising others is the trick to exploiting them.

Failing that, you can demonise them (easier to jail, shoot or deport)

Or just fail to notice that they exist.

On that last point, an interesting story during the recent election in the US was Stephen Moore's pivot to a measure of  decency (or so he claimed) after decades promoting ideologically pure, supply-side economic theory. That is the theory that driving down wages and cutting taxes is good for the economy.

He visited the rust belt with Trump, as an economic adviser, and, after meeting a few people that he probably never guessed could exist, he was persuaded that the suffering of ordinary people mattered. He then concluded that protectionism would help in some way and that he needed to stop being so ideologically pure.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/30 … gans-party

One of the more bizarre stories of the election, lol.

Very interesting and makes more sense than Reganomics but Trump will not put it in play, the "Son of Man" will be the one and remove money out of the equation.

1. profile image0
            ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In spite of Senate and house leaderships sabotage to Reaganomics at the time , AND the bias of media at this moment ,Reaganomics  worked and  would have worked well if continued , Check out the house and senate then ,   The eighties were growth years , the only issue - I knew then that Reagan's plan for deregulation SHOULD have been  Adjusted - regulation .

The culprit ?   Banking and Wall Street as usual .

1. colorfulone profile image78
              colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The old Federal Reserve system needs to fall so that a new system can emerge.  We are evolving and change is inevitable.  I see Trump getting things in place now in preparation for us to rise out of the ashes.

Congress has been bought by the Fed Res since the early 19teens, it is all a shows to give the Rothschilds control of the world using the U.S.military to do it with.

1. colorfulone profile image78

All the more reason the system needs to collapse.  Can you imagine the vast wealth Rothschilds would lose.  Striped of wealth and of the power to buy loyalty.  The best way to drain the swamp and end the worship of people and things. 
                  The Son of Man just might be in this (I have no doubt).

Yes I can, Isaiah 14:12 "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!" that is what I'm betting on the "Son of Man" doing. It's also why I wrote https://hubpages.com/politics/The-U-S-C … ons-Spirit showing how he will be able to do it and https://hubpages.com/politics/Why-And-H … Overthrown showing how it can be done.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image56

I agree the  culprit is B bankers and Wall Street but all of that will be gone once the "Son of Man" take over when Trump is Impeached.

2. Live to Learn profile image61

I might agree with most but your comment about demonizing by jailing, shooting or deporting them is (in my opinion) off base. Except for the shooting part, of course.

We do also have an obligation to protect members of our society. I can empathize, sympathize and otherwise commiserate the plight of any individual human being but I also have to determine what is in the best interest of the security of our society. Each individual deserves the same amount of consideration.

I can feel empathy for the drug addict who was, by my estimation, somehow let down by society as a whole. However, that doesn't mean that I believe they should be allowed stay free if their circumstances are such that, in order to get the drugs they feel they need, they rob others within society. It could easily be argued that incarceration is in the best interest of their security. Allowing them to remain free puts them at jeopardy of harm being done to them when they attempt to steal.

The refugee dilemma is another place where one is torn by the hope to protect the innocent on each side. If there is evidence that those who mean to do us harm would use our compassion against us, if they would come here in an attempt to create carnage; do we risk the lives of innocents in order to attempt to help innocents? I would have no problem opening my own home to others but to support allowing high risk groups in is to open the doors of other homes. The chance of me being anywhere which might be the site of a terrorist attack is slim. That is not true of others.

So, the truth of the matter is, any attempt to be compassionate toward one individual runs the risk of not showing compassion toward others. There has to be a balance. I think many who appear to be cold and cruel honestly believe they are being compassionate and they probably are. It is just that they aren't showing compassion toward those you (or I) think they should.

True that!

That is why someone who walks Buddha's "middle path" has to be the one to implement the constitution as it reads and why George Washington said "let us raise a standard only the wise and honest can repair, the event is in the hands of God," he realize man-en-mass are neither or both honest nor wise enough to implement the constitution.

The problem I have with this response is the same I have with anyone who declares they know the way and any who don't follow are dishonest, unwise, unintelligent....etc. Man, en masse, includes those making such statements.

So be it.

2. The0NatureBoy profile image56

There is nothing wrong with compassion, however, it derives from emotions which is based on "not having all off the facts" concerning matters and not as you say "because you have the facts."

Your 'There but by the grace of God go I" is missing some facts. With all facts in place it would read "by the grace of God there 'will I go' or 'there have I been'" because our incarnatings are for our life-forces to experience every characteristic of every specie on earth is one fact rejected by many.

I'm afraid I am one of the many who would reject your 'incaranatings' theory. Not as a whole, but as a standard. Maybe some do follow that path through eternity.

Rene acting the truth doesn't mean one doesn't follow, in this case. reincarnation.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

So, ideally Democrats and Republicans can benefit each other by balancing compassion with logic/reason and vice-versa.

Maybe it will happen in the (distant?) future when we all know how to avoid all the drama we are currently, apparently hooked on.  neutral

If my interpretation of the facts, many of which often denied by most people, are correct "it will happen within the next 4 years without any divisions.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"Fake News" does not provide those very valuable Facts. The News today is skewed. How can any of us make informed opinions? Especially the youth who are just learning about the world!!!! Its not fair to the young adults who are being led astray by the media and even their university professors. Why are the Federalist's Papers treated like worthless trash! This collection of essays which explain and reveal the basis/REASON for the The Constitution should be introduced in every Highschool American history class across the nation.

And, Yes, we need a nation of people with the facts regarding The Ten Commandments and The Golden Rule as stipulated in The Bible. These same precepts are found in all religions of the world.

Now, the Koran is plagiarized from the Bible, but some things were added or lost in the translation. This is why we see very skewed compassion coming from the terrorists, who DO believe in God, but don't have all the facts.!

skewed
    distorted, misrepresented, perverted, twisted, falsified, biased, altered, changed; doctored, put a spin on.

They don't have the revelation I have written on http://hubpages.com/@the0natureboy so how can they reveal such facts?

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Fake News is Spun News. Why do they call it "fake." Fake sounds too cute/funny, and downplays the seriousness of the matter.

Spun = slanted, angled, twisted, biased.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image56

Almost all sources of news use that term about other nose sources so which one is real fake and which one isn't? Aren't most news sources spun and not objective? Seldom do I find one that appears objective.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Objectivity used to be a standard for good journalism. Journalism today is the opposite of good. We are loosin' it!

I agree.

2. colorfulone profile image78

So true! Its become sensationalism. That's not journalism.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)