Hubpages Adsense vs Amazon Earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Jonathan Wylie profile image94
    Jonathan Wylieposted 6 years ago

Last month, and in other recent months, my Amazon earnings are almost twice as much as my Ad Program earnings, yet, every month, I get notices from Hubpages saying that they removed Amazon capsules from my articles. I add them back in and they take them back out, and so the dance continues. I am getting tired of it. Whether it is on purpose or not, Hubpages seems hell bent on lowering my monthly earnings by removing Amazon capsules. Many of my articles don't even have Amazon capsules any more, and no explanation is given for why they are removed. I have personal experience with all the products I add and they are relevant to my articles, so this is getting very frustrating. More communication, and less automation, is needed. Guidance should be given on how a capsule could be retained.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

I agree, it's frustrating.   HubPages is paranoid about Amazon capsules, there is no other word for it! 

I just had a capsule snipped on my Hub about a particular Spanish folk dance.  In the whole world there is only one instructional DVD on this dance, and it's a good resource.  I recommend it for those who can't get to a real teacher.  It has been snipped twice, and I've put it back twice - and I'm going to keep on putting it back.  It's patently obvious that it's relevant and useful to the reader.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried using a text based link instead? I've not had problems with amazon here. Also, the text-based links are doing much better on the conversion rate than the capsules (personally).

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

One question, Jonathan - do you mention the product in the text, and do you have wording which makes it clear you have personal experience of it? 

Even if a product is totally relevant, if you don't have a sentence which uses "I" or "my" (e.g. "I recommend this product because..." or "..... is my favourite brand because..."), it will get snipped.   Reviews stating the benefits of the product in impersonal terms don't survive.

Jonathan Wylieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I will try to be more specific and see if that works.

2. modern housewife profile image87
      modern housewifeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I had products removed and I did say “I use...” I explained why I use that particular product and why I like it.
      They are relevant and useful to me audience. I am getting so frustrated.

4. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

Jonathan, As Marisa said, make sure you clearly mention the expertise you have with the product. I might also add that you should include content about your experience in the Amazon capsule itself. Don't just include an empty capsule with just the product. I find this helps a lot.

Also, you said the products are directly related to the hub, but are they really? Many people misunderstand this part of the puzzle.

For example, I have seen recipe hubs with Amazon ads for cooking utensils. People searching Google for recipes are not looking for cooking utensils. Therefore that is not directly related. See my point?

You have to ask yourself if showing an ad for the product you're listing actually adds value for the reader. If it doesn't, it will be removed. You might think you're losing revenue, but the idea is to get Google to show your hub more often in SERPs. So in the long run you'll be making more money.

Jonathan Wylieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The hub was about the pros and cons of Chromebooks and my capsule was recommending a good Chromebook, so in my mind, the relevance is there.

By adding more to the capsule, do you mean a subtitle? Because that is really all you can do, right? You can't add paragraph text, can you?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am talking about adding descriptive text to the capsule. There is a field in the capsule where you can add that.

When I add enough text, the "buy now" button gets pushed down below my text. I find this seems to help because people don't get to the button until they've read my description. Then they are more inclined to click it.

By the way, if you recommend a Chromebook, you need to explain why you recommend it. Otherwise the ad is taken as spammy and has a chance of being removed. The best place to put this explanation is in the capsule description text as I mentioned above.

2. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can add a description right in the Amazon capsule. Look for small italicised text that says "Add a description."  Having said that, I tried to add one a couple of days ago and it wouldn't 'take'.

5. toptengamer profile image88
    toptengamerposted 6 years ago

I have had issues with all types of Amazon links and capsules in the last few days. The other day I had 3 niche site article that had all of their Amazon capsules, in-text links, etc... snipped. Every single one. I have NEVER gone over the 300-word limit. Also, I have extensive knowledge of the products I write about, so they are personal expert recommendations as HP requires.

Without the Amazon capsules and text links in these hubs, they are basically worthless. So, this is a big deal. I don't run Adsense ads on these types of articles, either.

All I really want to know is what the standard is so that when I make edits, they won't get changed. The frustrating part is that I think we all want to follow the rules. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure what those are right now.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Toptengamer, I have a Hub about the "Basic Rules" which explains the rules for Amazon in detail.  You'll find it on the slider on my profile.

The 300 word rule is basically irrelevant. They should get rid of it, because it's misleading. These days you would be lucky to get two Amazon ads approved on a 1,200 word Hub, let alone four!

6. ThePracticalMommy profile image87
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

I'm so glad I found this thread, because I thought I was the only one. I emailed HubPages about it two days ago and didn't get a reply. My Amazon capsules are relevant to my text as well and include descriptions, but they keep getting snipped.

7. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

It keeps happening to me too. I stopped trying. I Can't figure out why they are being removed unless it's a new editor. alot of mine were even on niche sites and weren't removed until recently. not sure way all of a sudden they are gone. oh well, I won't stop writing here. Maybe they are going to stop Amazon ads.

8. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

This thread is quite old. Things are changing all the time. Any items you link to have to be essential to the process or to the topic... being related or useful just isn't enough.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)