I'm the new hub-kid on the block -

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (80 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lori811posted 6 years ago

Hi Everyone - I'm new to HubPages and its publishing format. Currently having issues inserting photos between the paragraphs of my articles. Appreciate any/all assistance.

Thanks a bunch and have a great day.

lori811

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lori, welcome to HubPages smile

You have to use a dedicated image capsule to upload images. You can't insert them into a text capsule. Instead, use several text capsules to break up the article with image capsules in between. Look to the right-hand side when in edit mode and you'll see the option to add several different kinds of media.

https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … ng-hubtool

Lots more info here: https://hubpageshelp.com

1. profile image0
        lori811posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi TheRaggedEdge - Thank you so much for your help, while I find my way around the hub:))

2. profile image0

I have already visited/used the hubtool but still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Trial and error for me. Again, thank you:)

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can't put them between paragraphs, but you can put them between capsules.

Text capsules are those you use to write your content.
      Photo capsules are those you use to produce images.

You get images either by creating them yourself or by going to Public Domain sites such as Morguefile or Pixabay to download the ones you want to post.

You can use pickmonkey.com to edit photos, save them to your desktop and then upload them to your articles.

If you don't use public domain photos,you need to have permission from the owner of the image to use it and then you have to accredit them in the area that is located beneath the photo before you save it. 

You can get more guidance from our Learning Center, and I suggest strongly that you do so.

Welcome to HP and good luck!

3. profile image0

I want to thank all my new fellow-hubbers for their wonderful help and guidance. I found Pixabay and really like their quality photos. Found what  I needed for my article.. Will check back to report my progress. Thanks a bunch and God bless!

4. profile image0

I just noticed that when using the Hub Tool to organize/rearrange and drag/drop my capsules, not all of them show the capsule subtitles, making it difficult to reorder properly. Not thrilled with this method but do like Pixabay photos - thank you.

Just save and then go back into Edit. The subtitles should appear.

1. profile image0

Finally figured it out last week. Everything clicked!  Thanks a bunch!

5. profile image0

Hey theraggededge - I'm baaack! finaly. Getting just a bit paranoid now about writing since the H is so picky but I get it. Just submitted another article. Had to do the copy/paste from my draft in order to line up the text/photos. Still having issues with the organize your content. All my capsules have subtitles but they still do not show in the organized portion:(( Might be a tech glitch. Have a great weekend!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Lori, did you study the article I sent you on how to use capsules?   I'm worried that you say you need to use copy and paste to get things to "line up", that sounds as though you're doing something wrong.

I wrote a couple of Hubs which I strongly recommend you read.  You'll find them on the slider on my profile.  You're already used to online writing so you don't need most of the stuff in the Learning Centre, you just need to know the peculiarities of HubPages, and my Hubs will explain that. 

The most important one for you is How to Optimise your Hubs.  That explains why the layout is important, and how to choose titles, amongst other things.  You should also check out the one on Basic Rules, which summarises all the rules you need to stick to.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Marisa. I managed to get thru it. I had to copy/paste the text from my article draft. It's pending publication. I will check out your hubs. If I am  doing  something  wrong,, I'll hear abt it  soon enough. Many thanks for your concern and help

Lori, you may not be aware there are two aspects to this.  One is getting your Hubs accepted for publication by HubPages.   The next is ensuring they meet the criteria for transfer to the vertical sites (we usually call them "niche sites"), which is where you can earn income from them.   Hubs left on HubPages.com do earn something, but generally far less than on the niche sites.

I know your Hubs will easily meet the requirements in terms of writing quality, but judging by the single Hub you have already published, they stand no chance of being accepted for the niche sites until you have an understanding of the other requirements - which is what my two Hubs will give you.

1. profile image0

Marisa, kindly re-send the links. My one article was featured but clearly I'm missing something. Will review again. Thanks a bunch.

Lori, I'm not allowed to post links to my own Hubs on the forums.   If you go to my profile and look on the slider, you'll see the Basic Rules and How to Optimize hubs there.

One more think - HubPages jargon is confusing.   Anywhere else in the world, "Featured" would mean something special.   Here, it just means "normal".    There are several levels here:

1.  A Hub can be published, but not Featured (we often say, unFeatured).   That means your Hub is on the main HubPages.com site, but it's invisible to Google and other search engines. The ONLY way people can see it, is if you send them a link.   

2.  A Hub can be Featured.  This means it's published on the main HubPages.com site and is visible to everyone, it will come up in Search, and it's visible to Google. In other words, it's exactly the same as a normal article on Helium or any other writing site.

3.  A Hub can be accepted for one of the niche sites.  All new Hubs are considered for these sites soon after they're Featured.   Each niche site has an editor and some of them are busier than others, so it can take anywhere from one day to a month to find out if your Hub is good enough.   They won't tell you if it fails, but they will email you if it's chosen. 

It is a learning curve!   Good luck with it.

1. profile image0

I hear ya and many thanks! Will visit and review the article. Thank you for the super update. God bless

One more thing.  You can submit one hub to the niche sites every 14 days.  If you look at the top of the hub you'll see a "submit" notice, which you can press to start the process. Follow the questions and then submit.  If they like it, they'll accept it.  Sometimes they'll email you to ask that you make certain changes.  Other times they'll tell you your hub has not been accepted.  If that happens, you need to get to work to find out why and then fix the issue.

1. profile image0

I see the niche site at the top of the page but hesitated to click on it. Thank you!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Just to clarify - the instructions about submitting to a niche site probably won't apply to you very often, Lori.

Like I said, every new Hub is automatically assessed for the niche sites, you don't need to do a thing.  If it's good enough, you can expect to see it moved within about four weeks (and once you get the hang of it, most of yours will get transferred, I'm sure).   

If it hasn't been moved by the end of the first month, you can assume it didn't make the grade.  So, there's no point in using the "submit a Hub to a network site" button, because it will simply get rejected again.  What you need to do is take a hard look at the Hub,  work out why they didn't like it, and fix it.  THEN you can hit the "Submit to a network site" button.

That's what the facility is for - to let you submit a revised and improved Hub that previously missed out.

Because you're already a seasoned writer, for you it will be just a case of getting a handle on the rules, and you'll probably find your Hubs get moved consistently first time around anyway.

Hope that clears things up.

2. profile image0

Ahhh. Thank you, TimeTraveler2. I am familiar with the capsules and will give it another shot. I am currently using flickr.com but will check out pickmonkey. Many thanks:)) God bless!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Picmonkey is an editing tool  Flicker is a photo site.  The problem with using Flicker is that many of the photos cannot be used and just about all of them require accreditation.  Wastes a lot of time.  I prefer the easier route, which is the one I told you about earlier.

3. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I feel like my comments are invisible.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In my experience, it is the blindness of the swine I cast my pearls before...

big_smile You are very bad.

I saw your first comment but felt it would be a bit confusing to a newbie.  I felt a more detailed and clear explanation would be of more help.  Sorry if you feel I stepped on your toes.

1. profile image0

No, you didn't step onmy toes. Thank you for clarifying. I have written on other sites but HP is different and takes a bit more time to digest. Many thanks for your help. God bless:)

That comment was meant for the ragged edge, not you!

1. profile image0

Ooops! Sorry about that.

2. theraggededge profile image96

No, I didn't think that at all, TT2. The more information newbies get, the better.

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Lori, look up at the top of the page and click on Chronological. Then you'll see the posts here in the right order.

1. profile image0

/Thanks again:)

1. profile image0

My article "dating tips for men" was returned as needs improvement; something to do with spammy elements??. Have no  idea what this means or what they want. I have published posts online elsewhere without the hassle. Their other issue is that I used only one text capsule. Give me a break. I don't like the system. Pardon my rant.

We can't see it unless you use the link given in the email.

To be honest, the title itself sounds a little spammy. It's one of those saturated topics HP is trying to discourage.

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/Lear … ted-topics

Edit: The reason why HP is so picky is because they have to protect their relationship with Google, and in particular Google Adsense. Adsense has a whole raft of topics that it won't permit their ads to be shown on. Stupid, I know, because many of their ads are as spammy as anything.

1. profile image0

Hi there, theraggededge - OK, I get it but if the title is so saturated and they try to discourage it, then why do they include it in the category...duhhh!  I am not going to edit and resubmit. Can I delete it and do another article?  Seems damned if we do and damned if we don't.  Thank you for your feedback.

If you post the link here, we can help you. If it's a good article, then it might be fine.

Yep, those categories have been around for yonks. They need a clean up to bring them in line with HP requirements.

The thing is, there isn't much point in writing in an over-saturated topic. There are so many other sites with greater authority that unless you write the ultimate, definitive guide to dating for men, it'll sink and not get any traffic. You have to look for niche topics that aren't covered so much, but people are searching for.

1. profile image0

I hear ya:)  I already deleted the article content on Dating Tipos. Will check out other stuff. Thanks a bunch!

If you want to write here, whether you like it or not, you have to follow the rules.  There are good reasons for these rules, so don't take it too hard when they send something back.

Using just one capsule is not adequate.  Online readers need info in small bites.  They get bored quickly if they are looking at one long page of print. Also, using capsules allows you to create subtitles for each section, which allow readers to browse rather than read.

Spammy elements can mean too many links or too many ads...or ads that are inappropriate to your topic. 

You really need to take a look at the learning center and read up on all of these issues because the answers are right there for you.

As I said earlier, read some articles from other, more experienced, writers to get a feel for how to properly format a hub.

1. profile image0

I have been writing for several years. This us s new learning curve. I just published a second article using several photo capsules.

Yes, the learning curve here is huge!  I had been writing all of my life and even wrote for another online site before I came here, but it was only after starting on this site that I realized how little I knew.  I wrote here for years earning practically nothing, but last year everything clicked and right now everything is going great!  It takes a long time and a lot of article writing for most of us before we do well...although one fellow I know hit one million views at the 6 month point, but he was an expert at SEO.

1. profile image0

Very true, but once it clicks, smooth sailing. Thank you

5. Susan Sears profile image90
    Susan Searsposted 6 years ago

You can use the arrows to move the pictures to where you want them.

Yes, but you can only move them to the left, right or center.

Also, you should always make photos full width so that they look OK for mobile readers.  Some people put them at the top, but I think it's better to put the first photo after the first paragraph because Google likes to see content above the fold.  People will argue that images are content, but personally I don't think they are enough content..but that's just me.  I prefer to be safe rather than sorry!

1. profile image0

I hear ya on that and I'm doing that. Thanks

6. Jeremy Gill profile image92
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

@theraggededge

No worries, yours was a great comment. I've had similar experiences, I think they're just accidental oversights.

7. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

welcome Lori, there are lots of helpful people here. I saw this too late to help. Just ask if you need to know anything else. Some things work differently if your on a pc or tablet.

8. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

Hey Lori
    Welcome to Hubpages smile
    I am sure you will rock!

1. profile image0

Aww. Thanks a bunch. Rite back at ya

9. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Hi Lori

This is the best Hub I've found to explain how capsules work.
    https://hubpages.com/community/capsules

1. profile image0

HI Marisa - Your name looks so familiar. Did you write for Helium.com (dance channel) several years ago?

Hi, yes I did!

1. profile image0

Small world, isn't it

10. profile image0

Thank you, theraggededge -I'll try again on my next article. My current article is pending for publishing status.

11. Craypoe profile image86
    Craypoeposted 6 years ago

Welcome.

12. profile image0

Lori. You will come through fine with it smile

13. profile image0

Thank you. That is what I thought but not permitted in the article, per se. Also - it's okayyto cut/paste sections of text into the article box. Hub suggests cut/paste but copy/paste keeps my draft in tact, should there be a problem on the site. Thank you for all the detailed info. Once I get a handle on everything, I'll be ok.

Yes, copy/paste or cut/paste is fine, but I couldn't think of any possible scenario where it would help to "line up" the photos, if you're using the capsules properly.  So I worried!

1. profile image0

You are a sweetie and I thank you. I need to review again until the entire process clicks.

I find the best plan is to put each paragraph in a separate capsule.   That way, if you need to revise later by adding more photos or rearranging the sequence, it's much easier.   It also ensures you maximise HubPages' ad layout.

I very rarely need to use the "organize" feature in the sidebar, so it doesn't bother me if I don't have capsule subtitles.  Instead, I mainly use the up and down arrows on the capsules themselves. 

WARNING - It's illegal to use Shutterstock photos unless you've paid for them.  I can see some Shutterstock photos on your notary Hub, and they have the watermark on them, which means they are the sample photo not the paid version.  They can and will sue if they happen to see those, so I'd get rid of them pronto!

Pixabay photos are free to use.   Pixabay and Shutterstock are part of the same company and you'll always see Shutterstock photos along the top of a Pixabay page, but they are there to lure you into buying photos - it doesn't mean you can use them.

1. profile image0

OUCH. I had no idea! Will do first thing in the morning. My article is still in pending mode. Thanks again!. And yes, l have broken down my paragraphs into text capsules, so I'm halfway there.

2. profile image0

OUCH! I had no idea. Will delete/replace them first thing in the morning. Thanks. I fid break down my paragraphs into capsules. I'm halfway there.

1. profile image0

Working from my cell phone right now.

1. profile image0

Just checked my article. It was published/featured. Will edit and replace photos tomorrow b4 I land in hot water. Marisa, God bless you & continued $ucce$$!

Photos are a real trap for the unwary.   The QAP process (which decides whether your Hub gets Featured) doesn't check the legality of photos, so too many Hubbers are blissfully unaware of the risk.  We had one Hubber recently post on the forums because he was being sued for thousands of dollars over the use of photos.  Scarey stuff!

1. profile image0

That is a shame

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

This is true for any photo you use that is not licensed for distribution with modification or is public domain.  If you see a watermark on any photo, don't use it.

1. profile image0

I remember the drill from Helium.com. I just replaced the photos. Now I can sleep without worry. Trust the updated worked. Thanks TimeTraveler2

14. profile image0

Hey Lori, could you tell us about your experience as a new Comer. And how has it worked out for you?
    What have you figured out?
    Thanks smile

1. profile image0

Hey pen promulgates  Thank you so very much for asking:)  I finally figured out to use the capsule properly and the organize your content. All the hubbers have been amazing helping me. Dancing is my passion but clearly very few people can actual relate to it or my style of writing. Not sure this is the site for me.

It's meaningless to say this site isn't right for you.  All writing sites are the same - you're not writing for the community.  The community on writing sites is just other writers, not readers.   It's true there aren't many dancers here but even if there were, that would have little or no impact on the success of your articles.  You earn money by attracting views from the general public, not by interacting with other Hubbers.

In that sense, the only thing that matters about a writing site is its reputation with the search engines. Google has made it clear that it dislikes ALL non-specialist writing sites, so it really makes no difference whether you choose to write on Wizzley, Infobarrel, HubPages, or any of the other few survivors - they are all handicapped (which is why most of them have gone broke). 

The advantage of HubPages is that if you can meet the criteria, you stand a chance of having your Hubs moved to specialist writing sites - and Google likes specialist sites.   So HubPages has an advantage over the rest.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a place where you can write for a community, you might like to try Steemit.com, where one or two Hubbers are doing well - just be aware the pay is in cryptocurrency which you have to convert to real dollars.   It's a bit like Bubblews, which worries me, but as it's not paying in real dollars it may have a better chance of survival.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)