Reasons for an Evergreen Hub Losing Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13605344_f520.jpg
    So my triangle hub had steadily increasing traffic until mid June. Now traffic is less than 20% of what it was.
    Why would traffic decrease so much for an evergreen hub?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

An important site might have linked to it and then removed the link.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

When I see this happen to one of my hubs, I check it over to see what might be wrong with it or what can make it better.  Sometimes just changing the title makes a big difference.

However, it may be competition or some other factor.  It's hard to tell. 

A few years ago i wrote a hub that was very similar to a very successful one I had online that had lost a lot of traffic.

This month the second hub outranked the first one...by quite a bit!  I used a slightly different slant,but it worked.  Maybe you should give that method a try?

2. Barack James profile image93
    Barack Jamesposted 6 years ago

May be it is the season thing. Some hubs will do good during winter or fall and do bad during summer depending on the topic you choose to write about. I have noticed the same trend on a couple of my hubs, for example, my hubs about pool stuff were not doing good from early this year, but from June (summer) I have been having a major traffic boost. I know that this will change by the end of summer in September.

eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It could be because the hub was read by school children who are now on holidays.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Have rivals appeared to outrank you?
    Has it been copied?
    Has it been updated from time to time?
    If you take sections of text and search for them in Google does your page come up? if not there could be an originality issue, or something like Panda.

The ranking of all sites fluctuates, and in crowded subjects, even a small change in Google's algo soup can cause you to lose or win out.

No it hasn't been copied. At least searching for a short section of text from the hub doesn't generate any hits.
      I don't know how it ranked before so I don't know whether it has been outranked.
      It has had minor modifications, basically just to improve how it reads.
      It never had any sites linking to it.
      When I search for a section of text from it, the text appears as a Google Snippet.

Top traffic is 45% UK, 16% US and 13% Australia. This is unusual. Usually most traffic for my hubs is from the US.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There's your explanation, then.   Australian and British kids were looking for that Hub during term time, they're not now.

Australian children will be back at school in a couple of weeks, but British children won't be back till the end of August so it may not pick up till then.

Since the US has 5 times the population of the UK, I wonder why the hub is more popular in the UK? Maybe something to do with the curriculum?

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Did you read Beth's comment? Seems to have disappeared, oddly. She suggested using the word 'calculate' in the title if you want US traffic.

1. Solaras profile image94
              Solarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Which Beth was this?

1. Will Apse profile image88
                Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I reckon it was 'Eaglesfield', or close to that.

Anyway, it makes sense to look at the keywords in these cases. 'Renovating' ,'fixing up', 'remodelling' are all used differently in different parts of the world but can all mean the same thing.

Usually, blisters on someone's hands, lol.

But you know what I mean.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
            Kylyssaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There are probably multiple reasons your hub isn't as popular with US schoolkids as it ought to be. One is that the word calculate is the word commonly used to describe calculating the angles of a triangle in the US. Another may be how US children are given reading material and how UK children are given additional study materials. The study materials here seem very tightly controlled based on what my young relatives and my friend's children are bringing home from school.

It's wacky, but my educational pieces regularly get almost as many views from the UK as they do from the US and periodically get more views from the UK.

3. Jean Bakula profile image93
            Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I write a lot about astrology (though not exclusively) and a great deal of my traffic comes from India.

I have a few gardening hubs, and you do need to consider the seasons in different parts of the World. Good luck.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

This seems like the sort of article that would be read by schoolchildren. 

It's the winter school holiday in Australia right now, and possibly in other Southern Hemisphere countries.  In the UK, the summer vacation starts in late July, but I could imagine that the last few weeks of the school term might be winding down on serious study?

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image95
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

I'm going with the seasonal theory for sure. I have hubs that are regularly read during certain times of year and others that aren't as popular the next season. And my traffic always plummets February-April then spikes in the summer. Hmmmm....

6. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Ok, thanks all for your thoughts. I'll try to work the work the word calculate into the title and see what happens when kids return to school.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The risk is that if you spoil the title for the Aussie and British kids, you may still not get traffic from the US, depending on what kind of materials they're looking for.

I can tell you that the Hub comes out #1 on Google for a variety of search terms in Australia.

I've changed the title from 'work out' to 'calculating', so I'll see what happens. Maybe I can use 'work out' as part of one of the sub-titles. 'Solving' is another option often used in the context of mathematics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)