What's the Best Way of Promoting a Facebook Group?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Any ideas?

2. Barack James profile image94
    Barack Jamesposted 6 years ago

The fastest way is to use Facebook Page promotion feature, which allows you to target followers from a given demographic location and more options like age group, sex, etc etc.

eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You mean create a Facebook ad?

3. Barack James profile image94

Not creating an ad, I mean the Facebook Page promotion feature...

Ok. What's that?

4. Barack James profile image94

When on your Facebook page, click 'Pomote' at the bottom of the menu on the left of the screen, the select promote your page. This is just one of the several methods to promote your page for more followers

But doesn't that cause Facebook to create ads and display them to the specified audience? (Sorry, that's what I meant by creating an ad).

1. Marketing Merit profile image93
        Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You also need to be careful as text can only cover a certain percentage of your ad or it will be rejected. I did use them when I had a free coupon but can't honestly say that it made a significant difference. I think you would have to have a sustained campaign which will cost.

I just let my Facebook page grow organically though shares etc. That way, you get more people signing up who are genuinely interested in the topic and less people unfollowing/unliking.

5. Barack James profile image94

Yes it's basically creating an ad promoting your group through a Facebook page. That means you need to create a Facebook Page for your group since you cannot directly promote a Facebook Group to get new relevant followers.

6. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

You need to very careful how you use facebook ads (they are rarely called ads for one thing). If you are going to boost a post or whatever, refine the target demographic very precisely.

If you don't, you will get thousands of fake likes overnight and maybe never recover from it.

Fake accounts will 'like' your page for free to cover their tracks when they 'like' pages for money.

You end up with money spent for no return (no real interaction) and a lot of obviously worthless 'likes' which will make your page look spammy.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

The minimum cost for a campaign is €100  (about $110 or £90), so I won't be gambling on Facebook ads.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've been able to do ads for much less than that. I've only tried it twice and both times, it cost me around $20 (Australian).  It's just a matter of defining your audience more tightly.

2. Marketing Merit profile image93
      Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Where did you read that Eubug? My posts regularly come up with offers to boost for £8, £10 or £14.

8. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Actually looking at it again, this limit is a minimum upper spending limit before ads cease.
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13609860_f1024.jpg

I've just realised you have a Group, not a Page, right?   The advice you've been getting in this thread relates to a Facebook Page, not a Group.   Currently there is no way to create a Facebook promotion for a Group.

I assume what you're doing is trying to create an ad through Facebook Business, which is intended for people to promote (obviously) their business.  That's massively more expensive.

What you need to do is create a Facebook Page for your website.  You don't have to do much with it, but you do need to create a post which links to your Facebook Group.  Then you can do a promotion of that post from your Facebook page. 

The key to keeping the cost down is to identify your audience.  For instance, I have a bellydance website and a Facebook page for that site.  The website earns income from eBay affiliate ads - so when I choose Location for my promotion, I choose only those countries where eBay operates.  I do get foreign visitors, but for some sites, it might make more sense to choose English-speaking countries only.  Next - there are male bellydancers, and there are young bellydancers, but the majority of bellydance enthusiasts are mature women.  So I choose an age range appropriately. 

Are you getting the picture?  You could cast your net wide, but it will cost you  more - so aim for the easy targets to keep your costs down.

I actually have both in addition to my personal Facebook account.
        I have a Facebook page for the last few years and have been trying to promote it using all the usual methods (made for Pinterest images, targeted DMs on Twitter, signatures on forums etc).  The Facebook page also has a pinned post promoting the new group.
        The Facebook page is for DIY and gardening, it doesn't link to a specific website, but there are lots of links back here. In addition and not to go overboard on self promotion, I have links to other sites, plus I post tips and photos to keep readers interested. The Facebook group is intended to be a forum for discussing tools. I could probably ask on other forums whether I could promote the group. Some moderators seem to be lenient. Once the number of members reaches a critical level, the membership seems to snowball as members invite other members. (A gardening group I joined a month ago has seen its membership double from 10,000 to over 20,000. I don't know whether they advertise).

I didn't say you weren't allowed to promote a Facebook Group. I'm saying that feature isn't available on Facebook - it's impossible.

If you already have a post pinned on your Facebook page, then here's what you do:

1.  Go to that post on your Page and click "Boost Post".

2. On the left hand side of the box that comes up, you'll see "People you choose through targeting".  Click "Edit". 

3.  You'll see you can select gender, age, and locations.    Do that.   Aim ONLY at the people who are MOST likely to be interested.    Don't be tempted to cast your net wide, it's wasting money.

4.  Add some keywords in the Demographics box.  As you type, you'll see options come up - you need to select from them.  Again, use your best keywords ONLY.  For instance, I'm targeting people interested in bellydancing.  So I choose "bellydance" and "raqs sharqi".   I don't choose "dance", because that's too general and will waste my advertising dollars.

5.  Now you'll be directed back to the main menu and you can choose the duration of your ad campaign.   If it's too expensive, go back and edit your choices to make them more specific.

I just did a trial run on my Page and it quoted me $2 a day.

I've done this a couple of times at weekends (when my audience is most active), but just boosted individual posts. I'll try posting again but this time boost the page itself and the post referencing the new group.

So when you did it before, did you boost the specific post that advertised the group? 

Just curious - if the Facebook Page doesn't link to your website or blog, what's the point?

No, I hadn't created the group at that stage.
                The Facebook page links to articles here and elsewhere and also my blog.

9. Barack James profile image94

the initial spending may be huge but returns will be for ever if done perfectly

10. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Any more inspiration? A few groups have been sort of ok with me posting links, but I don't want to push my luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)