Tommy Sotomayor States That Blacks Have Lower IQs Than Caucasians

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13627608_f520.jpg
    Tommy Sotomayor, who is a  Black Youtube radio host, indicated that Blacks have lower IQs than Caucasians.  Mr. Sotomayor confirmed that this lower IQ is evident among Blacks is evident that Blacks haven't created anything of significance.  He indicated that countries w/a Caucasian majority are the most advanced while countries w/a Black majority are the least advanced. 

He further maintain that the lower IQ of Blacks was influential in being enslaved by Caucasians whom he claimed are intellectually superior.  He contended that American society is the way it is because of Caucasians who orchestrated the construction of American society.  He stated that if Blacks didn't have lower IQs, they wouldn't be violent  He added that they wouldn't have low academic/intelligent achievement, dysfunctional families, high poverty levels, & other pathologies.  He further added that Blacks are passive regarding their life choices, oftentimes choosing negatively.  Your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I read a book on how to raise my IQ. I then took a test and had a higher IQ.

I have met highly intelligent black people and highly unintelligent white people. I have also met peaceful black people and violent white people.

Environment is very much a factor in IQ.

Someone like Sotomayer may say such things because he wants publicity or because he is simply an anti-white racist. Either way, his ideas are simplistic and wrong.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

First, I have no idea if that can, in any way, be verified. But, if true, IQ is simply a test created to measure intelligence. But, it is not the only way to measure intelligence and a low score does not indicate a lack of it.
      We know that IQ test scores seem to point that each subsequent generation does better on the test than the last. It's called the Flynn effect. My son and I took one at the same time. He answered one more question correctly than I did but our scores were the same. Why? My age group got a small handicap. So, people like me would have raised a child training their mind to work in a manner we considered to be important, or society continuously adjusts teaching methods to make them more effective or maybe people are just getting smarter.

Either way. If this is true we need to look at why some ethnic groups tend to do more poorly on these types of measurement tests. We are all human. There is absolutely no reason to think that one human is more intelligent than another, simply due to some arbitrary manner in which we choose to categorize each other.

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would describe "intelligence" as a measure of a person's problem-solving faculties.

Various "tools" can play a part in this, as I see it.  First there is the need and the willingness to ask questions.  This in itself implies and requires the ability to say, "I don't know."  Such humility allows the mind to open up to new information.

Another tool is memory.  Remembering some rule(s) or principle(s) you might have learned which can be brought to bear on the new situation.

Next is the power of observation;  being able to sum up the situation in terms of surrounding circumstances, locality, etc.  And to compare this new situation with others of greater familiarity.

One factor which I regard as very influential for intelligence is conceptual..  To explain this, let me describe my experience in East Africa several years ago.  Trying to teach some basic wood-working skills to an African friend, using traditional tools which I had learned from my father at a very early age, was not easy.  Like keeping the saw straight, or at the correct angle; turning a screw, "right for tight, left for loose," etc.  These were skills being taught from me to him.  Not exactly intelligence, more akin to aptitude.  However, if I simply handed him the tools to work out for himself, then he would need to start thinking on a different level, observing, questioning, trial and error, making mistakes, reassessing, more trials, etc.  This is the process I refer to as Intelligence.

Intelligence is usually relevant to the individual's background and normal habitat.  A person who lives in one type of habitat will need to be very intelligent, observant, and knowledgable of those conditions, yet likely to be somewhat moronic in dealing with higher finance and city life.

Thus I learned not to judge an African person's I.Q on the basis of whether he could "use a screw driver" as well as I could, but whether he could answer my own questions, and teach me something I did not already know.

3. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

This man is a "pop jock" why should I be concerned about his opinion regarding anything? What are his academic credentials to support his making such statements?

There is nothing controversial about it, a two year old can babble, so what?

His comments sound a lot like the kind of reasoning white racists use to support this idea. This, coming from a black man, referring to himself as a creature of inferiority, I doubt it.

2. justthemessenger profile image83
    justthemessengerposted 6 years ago

If as is written, Tommy Sotomayor believes blacks haven't created anything of significance, then he needs to dive into some serious world and U.S. history learning. That statement displays a shameful level of ignorance. And, for that matter, he may do well to look at today's contributions as well.

1. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he is projecting because he's the one that is dumber than a box of rocks

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Sotomayor KNOWS better.   He was just stating this for......EFFECT.     He is doing this to get a....REACTION which he DOES.   No one is THAT OBTUSE.   He is simply being a CONTRARIAN...but it.....ISN'T WORKING.

Anyone who is cognizant realizes that IQ is based upon heredity & environment.   Race & ethnic background are inconsequential regarding IQ.   People w/myriad cultural, intellectual, & socioeconomic opportunities have a higher IQ than those who have LIMITED cultural, intellectual, & socioeconomic opportunities.  Also the parent's educational level have an influence upon IQ.   Educated parents, on average, have children who have higher IQs because they communicate w/their children through teaching & discussion.  Less educated parents, on average, have children who have lower IQs because they oftentimes don't communicate w/their children but oftentimes leave them to their own devices.

Then there are other mitigating factors such as racism, ethnocentrism, & classism which influences the outcome of individuals in a society.   People who are opposed tend to have limited cultural, intellectual, & socioeconomic opportunities which may adversely impact their IQs.   Mr. Sotomayor KNOWS better but he loves to....CAUSE CONTROVERSY.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Slavery and continuing racism have obviously reduced the opportunity of  the black community to produce outstanding contributions to the Western world, just as sexism has reduced (or obliterated) the contribution of talented women over the centuries.

Having said that, jazz and other black music is the most characteristic artistic achievement of the US. And  remains one of the few instances of genuine, cultural innovation on that side of the Atlantic.

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Why anyone would buy into the nonsense that IQ tests have no inherent cultural bias, do not relate to educational background and are in some way universally applicable is beyond me.

Why put this kind of thing into the forums?

Is it a personal hangup?

5. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 6 years ago

But what is the point of all this?  Why must you or anyone concentrate on the level of intelligence, as though it might define a person's "race?"  I have said elsewhere that there is no such thing called "race," as applied to our human species.  We get hang ups about cultural differences, yes, and that is where our fears might stem from:  name the fear in your own mind.
    We are all fully human.  Some have high I.Q., some have lower. Some have dark coloured skin, some light.  We might eat different food, smell different, like different music.
    Get to know a person who is different from you. Hold him/her by the hand.  Learn the history of their life.  Get  introduced to their friends and family.  Discover mutual interests.
    Make friends not enemies.

P.S....I have given this more thought and it's this:

After death my skin will look yellowish grey.  The African skin will look very similar, maybe a little darker yellow.  It's blood capilliaries showing through the skin layer which makes us look different....a light pink or dark(er) brown.  Our blood is no difference in colour.  We are the same.  Any other difference is all in the mind.

gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 !!!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)