Trump Rally Continues...

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

The DOW is near 22,000, a 20% jump since November 2016.
    For those who invested in the market, that is a huge return...
    Those who question the wisdom of electing Trump as President, do you have anything to say?
    Despite the inaction of the new GOP congress, the change in business outlook is dramatic.
    What so you attribute this to?

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My numbers from credible sources show a 14% jump since November. While it's a decent jump, it's largely meaningless because it's a short-term anomaly. Many experts predict a correction soon.

It's also produced the most overvalued stock market in 50 years relative to GDP.

FYI, the market increased 217% over the 8 years of the Obama presidency.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13638863_f248.jpg

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to argue but the DOW index was what I was refering to and it is near 20%.
        Also, you are correct in the fact that markets fluctuates periodically and I have no doubt a correction will be forthcoming in the future. No one knows when...despite expert predictions.
        As regards to Obama's 8 years, the numbers don't lie. Yes we had a run up in the market over that period but it was feed mostly by low interest rate and QE spending by the Fed.
        The recent rise in the market is due mostly to earnings and anticipation of a more business friendly administration, and tax reform proposals...

The question for Trump haters is this - would you kill the goose that lay a golden egg?

1. profile image0

Fiscal stimulus from the Obama administration and monetary stimulus from the Fed was the goose that laid the golden egg and saved the country from the Bush disaster.

The only Trump-related stimulus is the possibility that he and the GOP will pass tax reform that benefits rich people and large corporations. It will send the national debt sky high as even Trump has admitted.

In the meantime, Trump is screwing up relationships worldwide with threats of trade wars and retaliations. That will hurt the economy.

Yes, I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

Obama was the king of debt. Your bias is showing. The stimulus did not save us from Bush's recession. We would hve done ok without the bailout and the deficit spending which went on for most of the 8 years. His ACA was what kept businesses from hiring and prevented a strong recovery. Every economist will tell you that...

The Trump rally began right after the election. It was in anticipation of changes to come. The market is a forward looking indicator.
            So you would replace Trump with an Obama third term?

How are you doing economically? Are you part of the elite class that did super well under Obama at the expense of the average Joe?
            Who profitted most under Obama?
            Wall street, lobbists, K Street, and Unions and Insurance companies and trial lawyers....solar energy companies...
            Meanwhile, record debt, chaos around the world, Iran, North Korea, Venezuela...
            And record food stamps, record people on disability, lowest labor participation rate in decades...

1. profile image0

Bias has nothing to do with it. Both the federal government and Federal Reserve took on an enormous amount of debt to stimulate a crashing economy. It's basic economics. That's when the "Trump rally" began and drove up the stock market by 217%.

Your bias is that you overlook the massive tax cuts and skyrocketing defense spending by the previous Republican administration and Congress. They made the debt level and financial collapse much worse. They are provable facts.

By the way, I would have voted for Kasich had he got the GOP nomination. How's that for bias?

The debt was Obama's doing for the most part. Bush started it with the bailout bill in 2008 but Obama doubled down and drove up the debt from 10 trillion to 20 trillion.
                As regard to Kasich, he is a RINO.
                My first choice was Carson and later, Cruz. He is the only true Constitutional conservative and an outsider. Even thouh he is a sitting Senator, he is despised by both parties.
                With regard to Trump, I did not vote for him with all his baggage...but I couldn't vote for Hillary either.
                Now that he is in office for 6 months, I see that he has done some good and at least is trying...
                Where as the democrats are all obstructionists.
                I call it as I see it.

1. profile image0

And the Republicans are not obstructionists? They cooperate all of the time with Democrats?  smile

In some cases yes.
                    Where is the Democrat's version of Senators McCain, and Collins and Mukowski?

The Democrats votes in blocks...while Republicans fight among themselves...on principle.

I believe in obstruction when it is against policies I don't like.
                    When Democrats obstruct, it is actually hurting Americans.
                    Yet, they are reelected year after year...Go figure?

2. Marie Flint profile image72
      Marie Flintposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm only posting, Jack, to let you know I took the online survey when it came into my email from Trump supporters to learn what Americans are thinking and want. (I didn't vote for Trump, either, but he's our president, and I respect that.)

1. profile image0

With all due respect, he is not our president. He is Vladimir Putin's president.

You are just talking silly. Where is any evidence that Trump has colluded with the Russians? Only in the make up world of the NYT... He is our President just like Obama was our President for 8 years duly elected by the electoral college. You are entitled to your opinion but not make up facts.
          So far under Trump, in the first 7 months,
          stock are all time high,
          Illegal immigration is down by 70%,
          Jobs are going higher, companies are moving plants back to US,
          and food stamps are down. These are all good signs...don't you agree?
          Or are you a member of the TDS...never Trumper...let the country be damned.

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Actually, you guys are discussing something I don't like about the stock market. It's all driven by emotion and conjecture. What a way to gamble with a life savings.

Unfortunately, it is the only game in town. With interest rate so low, you can't get any return in savings bank accounts. What do you suggest?

2. jackclee lm profile image80

Put it another way, if you invested $10k when Trump was elected back in Nov. 2016, you will be 2000 dollars richer today... that's about 20% in 8 months. Where else can you get that kind of return?
      Why can't someone just enjoy the ride?
      The TDS has really hurt themselves.

1. profile image0

If you had invested in the stock market at the beginning of the Obama administration, you would be much, much richer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)