Is Amazon just being phased out?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. WiccanSage profile image93
    WiccanSageposted 6 years ago

I feel like all my Amazon modules just keep being deleted by HP. Even books for further reading, or tools to use for whatever is being described, even when I only had like one Amazon capsule for the whole article. I know we are supposed to offer things sparingly and that are relevant, but it feels like they're all just being removed. I'm wondering if they're being phased out or something and I missed the memo.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ask yourself when you last went from Google search to a page that contained an Amazon ad.

I can guarantee that if you have not searched for a product, product review, or product comparison page, the answer is, not for several years.

Why do publishers avoid using Amazon ads? Because they are the online equivalent of cold calling. Nobody wants to see them unless they are specifically looking to buy something.

So if your page is designed to help purchasers make a choice, fine, Amazon ads will be useful to them. Anywhere else, and Google will protect the delicate eyes of readers from the irritation.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Although you may be right in many instances, this is not always true.  People buy from my hubs all the time because they read an article and realize that they need something that I mention in order to take care of a specific problem.  It all depends on your topic.

2. WiccanSage profile image93
        WiccanSageposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Will, but someone must be using them, as I make sales on them just about every day. I noticed my sales are dipping and they keep removing them.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent explanation of the Amazon ad situation.
        I, for one, hope they are not being phased out. I have two hubs with Amazon ads that earn me more than half of my HP revenue. They are aimed at helping searchers make a choice for a particular problem, and have served my financial interests well.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, they're not being phased out, but you may have missed the fact that there are now TWO essential requirements for an Amazon capsule.

One is that it must be relevant to the main topic of the Hub - I think you know that one already.

The other requirement is that you must provide a personal recommendation.  It's no longer sufficient to give a general recommendation like, "this is a good introduction to the subject".  You must say something which shows you have more intimate knowledge of the product or book. 

In fact, strictly speaking, HubPages says they want you to have owned or used the product.  Obviously they can't prove whether you have or not, but you need to phrase the review as if you have...

1. Misfit Chick profile image75
        Misfit Chickposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And they have become very picky about 'how you phrase it' - don't vague up a recommendation too much, even if it is a recommendation about other people's stories on the same hot topic. That apparently isn't good enough. Its got to be very personal. Think of each capsule as a baby. If you don't have the heart for it to defend it with an emotional sob - delete it. Not that that will necessarily work either, LoL!

Yeah, I have a little recent experience with this topic... got the same lecture from Marisa. Thanks, M. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sorry if you think it's a lecture.  I don't MAKE the rules remember, I'm just a Hubber who's affected by them, the same as you are.

Personally I think the requirement for a personal review is dumb.  Haven't they ever heard of research?   But HubPages is absolutely determined about this rule - it comes all the way from the top - so there's no point me moaning about it.  I just focus on explaining it to people, so they stand some chance of keeping their Amazon capsules.

Thank you Marisa; I do give personal recommendations on most of them, esp. the books I recommend. I'll double-check. Maybe the ones I didn't personally recommend are getting cut. IDK.

3. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As far as niche sites go it seems Amazon capsules and even link capsules are being removed. sad I wonder if they are even allowed there.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have articles uploaded all the time and many have Amazon ads on them.  So they do accept them.  You just have to know how to use them properly.

It does seem that most of the articles where all my ads were removed were the ones they moved to the niche sight. Thank you.

2. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 6 years ago

Well, I've never been very impressed with HP's 'top' with the bassackwards way they insist on processing things (and the new SEO sites, as well as the new site formatting, in general - look like they are being done by amateurs).

You get WAY too strict about this rule, in particular... In my case, the entire article was from a rare perspective with not very many other places to hear a story like it - but, I managed to fine ONE other one on Amazon, and recommended finding more stories like it. Its not like it was a junk product to the hub with no reason for being there.

I know, I know... I need to quit complaining and get my butt OUT of here like so many other writers have, LoL!

lol Misfit Chick thank you. I'm doing good here, so I'll be sticking around. All the changes though, I feel like I keep playing catch up.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image93
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years ago

The future does seem impression based, building Google cred..things of that nature. I think they are erring on the side of caution and staff has even eluded to this. Thing is, HP is savvy and could be working toward an Amazon solution for the future. Another set of niche, these ones sales based? (cue evil genius laughter)

lol thanks Jesse! You're right, they probably are erring on the side of caution. I'm not going to fight them on it, it has been a dip in Amazon sales but also as they keep moving my articles to niche sites I've gotten quite a bump in traffic. TY!

4. Terrielynn1 profile image85
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

After I changed mine to text, mine are no longer being removed unless there is more than two then they have deleted one. I felyt this way when I used the photo capsules, so far this way has worked.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Yes, we are strict.  Too strict, possibly. But, there is a long history here.  Amazon products were once abused and we didn't have all the tools we have today.  Our site was plagued with quality issues.  We had to make some tough decisions.  On one side of platforms there is a let it rip type strategy and on the other is a very tightly controlled.

In our early days, we let it rip.  That model failed in 2011.  We spent several years pivoting with the addition of one service at a time.  First came massive site pruning and moderation.  Next came a suite of editing services.  When we got the quality up enough, we migrated to topical sites.  It's a long road. 

Today, I believe the quality has never been better.  Traffic is pretty darn good and we have loads of things we would like to do to improve the sites which brings us back to Amazon.

First, we love Amazon.  They are a critical partner for us.  They earn a tremendous amount of revenue for us and Hubbers.  Without them, it would be tough.  At the same time, quality comes over revenue.  We have consistently made changes that sacrificed revenue for quality and the health of the HubPages Network of sites. 

All of this said, I'm adding to the agenda for our editing meeting to discuss our rules and if there are ways to maintain the quality, but also expand how they can be used.  It's unlikely we will change policy in the short term, but like everything on HubPages our policies evolve.  The most important things is that the sites are healthy for Hubbers, even if we do give up a bit of earnings.

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Do your editors take into account how well the Amazon capsule has been performing before snipping them from the article?  It seems that would be the best indicator of whether the ad was providing value to the readers or not.

6. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 6 years ago

Yes, like I said, backa*swards - I've been watching your 'transformation' with a great deal of 'WTF' like a lot of us have; and we've complained about it throughout the entire time while 'the top' has done nothing but ignore so many amazing suggestion by your frustrated writers.

I'd give your efforts a 'C' - cuz you've managed to keep the site(s) above ground while treading water with a massive, barely-productive effort. Its not like this is the only thing we've been complaining about - for years since you started this metamorphasis.

My main irritation is that I have to move my stuff - and what a hassel, which is why I haven't completed it, yet. Also, I like the writing community, itself, and kind of hate to leave it.

Oh well, don't mind me - I'm just another unhappy camper who would LOVE to know how much experience the people you hired to reformat & create these sites had when they started - among other things. (Like, why are hubs so easily 'approved' with such bad writing to begin with - despite having a waiting period before they are actually published. Really - WHY are Amazon capsules the priority?!)

Nevermind, I really don't care anymore. I just wish I could wiggle my nose and make everything move where/how I want it to - now. LoL!

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would try to get some of your pages to the niche sites. Then you will see the difference that HP's changes have made to traffic.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image93
      Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Not sure about the uproar..I don't see many articles where you would use Amazon anyway. And yes, If you are not on niche you are missing the boat as Will eluded.

3. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't disagree more. HubPages has kept going while other sites have fallen by the wayside. Views are up - enormously and income is increasing - including Amazon revenue.

You sound as though you are blaming HubPages for your own shortcomings as a writer. if you are not creating articles that attract a lot of traffic, then why not learn how to do that? HubPages is not responsible for your lack of success.

You might have spent the time observing and complaining - some of us have learned to swim with the tide.

Never mind, it's not a difficult thing to move content. Just got to get your ar$e into gear and get it done.

Anyway, Paul, I give you an A big_smile

1. Jesse Drzal profile image93
        Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A+

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)