This is very definitely not for everybody.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

About six or seven years ago, I started a story series. I never finished it. I just sat on the last two chapters forever. I have finally finished them.

I have messed around with it, and I finally published here as part one and part two.

For those who were following the Second Civil War series, please could you take a look through Part 2 (I would never, never, never ask anyone else to do this), and if you see any typos, etc. please let me know.

https://hubpages.com/literature/The-Second-Civil-War

OMG!!! I've just realized I've put the wrong part. It's Part Two I've just finally finished - the last chapter!

https://hubpages.com/literature/The-Sec … War-Part-2

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
      Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Here are the things I found in Chapter One:

1) This sentence has no period: "She had tried to intervene in the increasingly incensed diatribe between the Republicans and the Democrats"
      2) If I'm not mistaken, the "secret service" in the phrase "secret service member" should be capitalized.
      3) Same with "the house"; I believe "house" should be capitalized.
      4) Remove the comma after "moment" in this sentence: "And as she made her way to her offices, the grey haired preacher man whom she had glimpsed for only a moment, muttered softly into a mic"
      5) Place a period in this sentence: “The drug given to the Congressman earlier has done exactly what was expected of it”
      6) Remove the comma after "week": "... and this last week, had indeed been bliss."
      7) Change "hand" to "had": "...asked the young lieutenant who hand handed him the missive."

I'll continue reading Chapter 2 soon, I'm honestly enjoying it. Well done.

TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow. You're starting from the beginning! That is so unnecessary - unless you'd really like to read it. The book cost me blood, sweat, and tears. I can't tell you how many times I've edited and re--edited. Can't believe that there are still errors.

Thank you so very, very much! With all my heart. It's a long read.

Haha I would! Though I'm currently working two jobs and attending classes, so forgive me if it takes some time.

And no worries, whenever I proofread a work of mine, I'll inevitably find errors or sentences to tweak.

2. sheyi kojo profile image61
    sheyi kojoposted 6 years ago

I actually find it interesting but try to proof read it again. It may stand out.

You have no idea how many times I've proof read that. I don't think I have ever worked so hard on any story in my life! smile

I think I'll give it a week and then see. In the meantime, if there are any extra eyes about, Part two is new. smile

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Word edited these things
        Mid-March
        in order to take on
        million-dollar
        moment,
        essentials
        so, we both vanish
        centre
        be seen
        been a model city
        dishevelled
        valour
        not find a sufficiently inexpensive hotel
        Feinstein’s spent in Houston
        Fortunately, there was a lot
        There were a couple of things which word would have liked to change but I ignored those.

I would totally love to know what is wrong with any of that.  Some British spelling, yes. The rest, I haven't the foggiest. I write in word, but pay absolutely no attention to it for the most part

I like to pay attention to Word, it is incredibly useful, just cut and paste the whole of the text in and then review it, spell and grammar check and if you like the suggestions made you just click on them and Word automatically alters your text and moves on to the next area which needs working on.  You will save yourself hours of work.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
              Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I always wrote every article I did on Word and saved it on a flash drive. It's saved me a lot over the years.

This is solid advice, though every so often, Word still misses something or highlights a non-error as one. Nonetheless, it's a great idea.

I am truly curious. Are there actually content writers who write straight to HP. That is not a particularly professional way of working. I have been using word processing since 1975 and MSWord since 1994. I also started writing on the web in 1994 and, even then, I would write in Word first.

I've seen some short stories that may have been, though I'd have to consult the actual authors. For projects as long as yours, I doubt it (but kudos to anyone brave enough).

Either way, even when my grammar is perfect, I can usually find a way to improve my sentence flow when proofreading, so there's more to editing than looking for squiggly red lines.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
                    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I write direct to HubPages most of the time.  Like you, I don't find the grammar tool in Word reliable and I don't use it.    When you're writing a Hub, the text capsules have a spell checker so I don't need Word for that either.  The only benefit of Word is to avoid losing my work (in case something goes wrong) but I just save the Hub periodically as I write.

The main reason I got used to writing direct on HubPages is because of the layout options.  I don't write all the text first then decorate it with photos, videos etc - all the components are equally important so I like to design the look of the Hub as I go along.   That approach made a lot of sense in the early days when we had more layout options than we do now, and for that reason I think most early Hubbers probably did it that way.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
                    lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why bother with Word and the grammar tool, it doesn't really point out much. I write directly on HP and have always been doing that.  As Marisa points out, I write directly on HP since I get a feel of the article with the actual layout, etc. and write my content based on the surrounding capsules, if you know what I mean.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

???? Who doesn't use Word to first write? You are surely not suggesting that anyone writes straight to hubpages, are you?

That said, grammar on MSWord is risky, and if one doesn't know how to spell, one wouldn't know if MS Word is giving you the right spelling.

One spells center centre in international English. Likewise harbor is harbour, etc.

My language skills are sufficiently well developed not to requires hours spent on grammar, spelling, construction, etc. Most of my time is spent researching data.

I hear what you are saying, though.

I don't use Word.  Most times I am writing a felting tutorial so I prepare and upload all of my images in the order which I took them before I even start writing.  I do write the summary and the introduction in Word and copy and paste the text it into the modules.

3. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

I use Scrivener and I like that I can set it to auto-correct my English English to American English as I go. And then do it the other way round when writing for a UK site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)