I'd like feedback on my article: Loving the Addict

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. ShyeAnne profile image85
    ShyeAnneposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Loving the Addict. What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. Glenis Rix profile image94
      Glenis Rixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think the article would be improved if you wrote something about treatment options and support groups that are available to addicts. Also, you have focussed on alcoholism, but there are other addictions that are similarly destructive. You could perhaps change the title so that is clear that your topic is restricted to a specific addiction, or expand the content to cover other addictions. At the moment it reads more  like a personal blog than an article that offers practical advice.

2. ShyeAnne profile image85

Thank you Glenis for your feedback.  I wrote it in the spirit of the 1st person and it is a bit of a personal blog.  I will take your suggestions into my consideration.

ShyeAnneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Further to your suggestion Glenis, the person whose actions motivated me to write this hub has been through detox and treatment a minimum of 15 times so including suggestions for this avenue for help with addiction didn't enter my thoughts as I view it as useless information.  I see I clearly need to remove the 'personal' aspect of my hub.  I am not sure if my style of writing jives with the Hubpages criteria moving forward.  It may be time to embrace the blog.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, don't remove the personal aspect. Your readers want to hear your story, how you coped and survived. However, keep it to one part of the article - the beginning. Relate your story, then bring in information that will help others deal with their similar situations.

HubPages wants informative and useful articles, not blog posts. So structure your piece as if it was a feature in a magazine.

You have a the basis of a good article here, so build on it and make it better wink

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  I will re-work the article..

2. Glenis Rix profile image94
        Glenis Rixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Never give up hope. I have close experience of a person who had a life threatening drug addiction for over twelve years. That person has now been clean for ten years. In terms of alcohol addiction, I understand that there is an aversion medication that causes very unpleasant but harmless reactions if alcohol is consumed. Of course, the addict needs to desperately want to be released from the prison of addiction and needs a will of iron to achieve a successful outcome. I believe that family support, though incredibly difficult to sustain, can be a vital part of the process. But, at the end of the day, not everyone can be saved and we need to know when it is time to walk away.

Fortunately there are also success stories among my personal circles, friends/family that have been able to separate themselves from their addictions. I am the eternal hoper of a return to sanity for the ones that appear to be floundering.  The Loving the Addict hub is such a tiny glimpse into the quagmire of people I interact with that have addictions.  My writing style tends to lead toward the personal and I need to work on changing that.  I feel jaded toward the helping organizations, treatment centers, detox etc as my experience shows me that quality recovery is an option more available to the middle class person or those that come from a family with money.  The 'poor' folk, the ones that rely on social services to live, the ones that do not have a strong family connection with money, and the working poor,  well, one needs to be a higher functioning person than most alcoholics to navigate the red tape to secure a bed in a facility and also chase the funding needed to make it happen.  This is a daunting prospect for an active alcoholic.  I know this first hand because when I took the leap to sobriety in 1991 I had advocates and it was still really challenging to get the funding to secure a spot in the facilities available for a recovery process.
          This particular thread is about feedback for my hub and I have strayed away from that with again, my personal experience.  Thank you for your feedback.  I truly appreciate it and will implement all the suggested insertions/changes if I decide to go back and work the hub.

3. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Hi ShyeAnne,

To be honest, the article doesn't give very much information, and the content doesn't reflect the title much. It's too short really to address the topic in detail, and it's also disjointed and seems to leap about. The Canadian Info section is irrelevant as it isn't about loving an addict; it's just general figures about the number of people who drink - most people who drink are not alcoholics.

My suggestion would be to write up a short version of your personal story, then take a step back and do some research about addicts and their relationships. Give some alternative scenarios. Offer some workable suggestions of what to do in an emergency situation, and then how to manage the relationship long-term.

So to start with, you need to create a framework for the article using sub-headings as your guide. So it might go:

My Story of Loving an Addict
    What Addicts Will Ask You To Do
    How to React in an Emergency
    How to Manage a Long-Term Relationship With an Addict

You could always change or add in more. Once you start writing to the subtitles, the article will grow itself.

4. ShyeAnne profile image85

Thank you theraggededge.  The whole purpose of asking for feedback is to get honest input so I appreciate your candor. I see exactly what you are saying and if I decide to expand on this hub to get it featured I will take your suggestions into consideration.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)