50 Hubs in 30 days.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Fenixfan profile image77
    Fenixfanposted 6 years ago

I hope I am doing this right. It has been a long time since I was an active forum user. Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong thread.
    I started writing hubs around seven years ago, mainly as a hobby, but with intentions of someday making a little money. Five years ago I took a job as a meat cutter because my wife was in college and bills were piling up. I worked a steady 6 day, 60 hour week for five years. Now that she is in her last year, I have been able to quit my meat cutting job and have decided to continue writing, mostly about my life experience during the past five years and different skills I have learned over that period.

I have several hubs that need editing and have done so for some, so this won't actually be 100 new hubs.

My goal is to edit 25 of my current hubs and publish 25 new original hubs in addition to that.

I am going to try to complete this goal in 30 days. I will most likely fail, but I will try.

Wish me luck.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a very ambitious plan, and while your intent is good, I would advise you that things here have changed considerably while you've been gone.

Before starting, I definitely would take some time to read the info in the learning center.  I also would move more slowly so that you can wait to see if what you write can be featured and then moved onto the niche sites.

The niche sites is where you want your hubs to be, but getting there is not easy.  They have to be extremely well written, have excellent images, have Amazon ads, if any, carefully crafted, etc. 

Take a look at some that are already there, paying attention to those that would be on the same topic as yours.

You've got lots of work ahead of you, but slow and easy is the key.  It is not the number of hubs you write but the quality and searchabiity that count.

2. Fenixfan profile image77

I forgot to mention that I will be posting the hubs associated with this challenge daily to this thread for any interested in keeping up with my progress or for those with any recommendations to hubs that may need editing. Any and all comments are welcome. I am aware that I have a lot of out of date information. Feel free to drop in and let me know about anything that should be edited.

3. Fenixfan profile image77

Two articles I worked on today are linked below. These two are part of an insider account of working in a meat department, discussing tips on how to get the most for your dollar as well as unveiling some harsh truths that you may no know about.

https://hubpages.com/food/Trade-Secrets … round-Beef
    https://hubpages.com/food/Trade-Secrets … Pork-Chops

23 more new articles to go. I'm currently editing 25 other previously published articles.

9/27/2017

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Read your ground beef hub - that's well done and some good information.

You didn't ask, but a criticism:
      Get a bio made, or several of them!  Without that bio there isn't much reason to believe anything you have to say.  Just a part of the changes since you left.

Be careful of using jargon.  "lug", even "market" (means local store?) and others make it difficult to follow.  I have the same problem when writing about what I became intimately familiar with through my job.  It's real easy to lose a reader by using my "everyday" language from the job.

I'm not a meat cutter or know anything about meat, but I am a chemist (or was, anyway), and "oxidation" (the spelling I'm familiar with) is NOT the lack of oxygen.  It's what happens when oxygen combines with something else, making oxygen absolutely necessary for it to happen.  Iron oxidizes to rust, which is iron combined with oxygen, for instance (Fe + O2 = Fe2O3).  I don't know what the brown color is, although I believe you're right in that the meat is oxidizing, and that means oxygen is present.

1. Fenixfan profile image77
        Fenixfanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's funny you should mention chemistry. That was the field I was going into when I went to college, after I switched from the PT program. As far as the criticism goes, any is welcome. Lug and market are, however, the technical terms for the areas I am addressing. I think I should probably define lug, so readers understand what a lug is maybe? And maybe "market" doesn't sound familiar to some, but it's a pretty commonplace term for meat department, as you wouldn't call market-made sausage, meat department made sausage. Just doesn't have that same ring to it.

And yeah, oxidation or oxidization, whichever you prefer, means what you say. Oxidation of meat occurs because oxygen isn't present or balanced because Myoglobin turns into metmyoglobin, causing the meat to appear brownish in color.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

" maybe "market" doesn't sound familiar to some, but it's a pretty commonplace term for meat department"

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.  I don't know whether "market" means the local grocery store, the whole country of grocery stores, the country of consumers or just the meat dept. of a single grocer.  Along these lines, one of my hubs was edited recently by HP and of course the editor trying to go over it was not familiar with the topic.  It kind of opened my eyes a bit as I had a hard time, sometimes, of making myself clear to her; if I couldn't do that with back and forth emails what chance do I have making a reader understand?  Just something to keep in the back of your mind when writing; the reader probably does not use or understand the terminology that is second nature to you.

But the oxygen thing; without oxygen oxidation cannot happen which means in turn that the meat is not oxidizing.  It's turning into metmyoglobin, but without oxygen that cannot be via an oxidation process.  The only reason I mentioned it was because you said that without oxygen the meat oxidizes and that doesn't make sense.  I leave it to you whether the paragraph needs changed or is OK the way it is.  It just caught my eye because of long ago school classes, classes which most people don't have.

4. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Good luck! By the sounds of your capability to concentrate and work hard, you should be able to make it.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Before you do too much editing, I advise you to read my Hub on the Basic Rules.   Several of them have changed since  you were here last!   All the information is in the Learning Center but it's hard to find - my Hub summarises all the rules you have to follow.  It's on the slider on my profile.

Personally, I would advise against setting yourself such an ambitious challenge.   A lot has changed since you were here last, and I suspect your existing Hubs need more time than you're allowing. 

Also, there's really no point in writing new Hubs here unless you can get them accepted for the niche sites (that's where the money is). So I'd start by writing a couple, then wait and see if they get accepted.  Be patient - the way it works is that it's published on HubPages initially, then it goes in the editors' queue for consideration.   Sometimes the decision is made in a few days but it can take a couple of weeks.

I see some of your Hubs have already been moved. You can submit one existing Hub for consideration every 14 days (there's a link at the top of each Hub), so I'd get started on that too.   I'd recommend you to read my Hub on How to Optimize Your Hubs.   In particular, my points on titles and "hero shot" photos are relevant.  You also need to write a few bio's.

6. MomsTreasureChest profile image84
    MomsTreasureChestposted 6 years ago

That's a lofty goal, I wish you good luck!  Congratulations for setting a goal and working to achieve it.  As they say, shoot for the moon-even if you miss you'll land among the stars!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)