Hubberscore/Hubscore should be replaced with different content

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years ago

I just feel that the Hubscore/Hubberscore system should be obsolete and rendered useless and be replaced with a new system. This Hubscore/Hubberscore business is keeping everything apart. Instead, we should have a rating system, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. So 5-star articles, such as Kylyssa's work or theraggededge's work are shown. We should also replace the hubberscore with a reputation system. Positive reputation are shown in green. Negative reputation is shown in red. IDK. That's my suggestion.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How about replacing it with.... nothing? After all, traffic and earnings are indicators of success. Comparing ourselves with other hubbers is pointless.

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree, pointless and sometimes demoralising.

1. peachpurple profile image83
          peachpurpleposted 6 years agoin reply to this

yeah no point having the points, I rather have bonus to earnings instead

1. CatherineGiordano profile image76
            CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hub scores can be demoralizing. When I first publish something, I usually see a score in the 70"s. Then it starts to climb and gets into the high 80"s and even high 90"s over the next week even without a single edit. But after working for two to three days to publish a hub, it really is a punch to the gut to see a score in the 70's. I've learned to just try to ignore the score. .

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76

Nothing sounds good to me. I have hub scores that go up and down by 20 points without anything being changed. Also what does the hubber score mean? If you don't know how to improve your hubber score it is a worthless number. And speaking of worthless, does it really matter if your hubber score is high or low?

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

While it's true that HubScore and Hubber Score do not affect an author's ability to acquire traffic or earn money, these scores do feed into many of our internal processes (they are part of the algorithm that determines the order in which articles are displayed on topic pages, for example). That being the case, we prefer to share them for more transparency and also give writers a very general idea of how they are doing in relative quality terms.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Psycheskinner. 

If both HubScore and HubberScore were based on quality, it would be fine - but they're not. They include a range of other parameters.  It's not being "transparent" if you give us the scores and don't tell us the weightings behind them.  Without knowing that, they're meaningless.

HubPages staff must have noticed the way so many Hubbers continually misunderstand what the scores mean, and spend fruitless hours chasing better scores (usually by doing the wrong things), when they should be focussing on writing new and better Hubs.

2. sallybea profile image96

Would it be true to say then that a writer whose work is featured on the home page will naturally have a higher score?  I almost never visit the home page and was surprised to see that I am a featured writer this week.  I guess this in part explains why my profile score has been higher than normal this week.  Clearly, the additional traffic and the extra publicity will drive stats upwards, that is if anyone ever visits the homepage!   I still think it is so difficult for readers to find the actual subjects they might be interested in unless they access the homepage when they arrive on HubPages.

1. theraggededge profile image96
          theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think many readers ever land on the home page. They are far more likely to be visiting an individual hub via a search engine. They don't think, "Oh, what a great site HubPages is, I must remember to stop by and see what's new".

Very true.

2. profile image0
            Ivan Hernandezposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Very true indeed.

3. profile image0

Also, I promote hubs through social media sites as well. So it makes no difference.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76

What is the home page?

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92
            Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Each niche site has a homepage that showcases a variety of authors and articles. Many of us (like sally and myself) see our work there sometimes, and it's always a pleasant surprise (we don't receive notifications for it).

For example, here is ReelRundown's: https://reelrundown.com/

Thanks. After I thought about it, I realized it must be the first page of the niche sites.

1. profile image0

On healdove, I saw one hubber's work on the main page, and it brought nothing but rage, anger, jealousy, and a feeling of failure on my part.

I guess you will hate me then. This conversation caused me to look at the home page for the niche sites which have a lot of my hubs. A lot of my hubs are featured.

It also caused me to see some interesting hubs of other hubbers and I clicked on some to read them.

1. profile image0

Then I guess you will view me as a failure, because not one of my 4 articles were featured on the home pages of either Healdove nor SoapBoxie.

2. profile image0

So you read my two articles on Autism?

2. alexadry profile image96
                  alexadryposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ivan, try not to let other people's articles bring you feelings of  rage, anger, jealousy or a feeling of failure! Instead, turn these feelings into something more productive. For example, find ways to improve your writing, join writing clubs, look for places to get great pictures to add, search for topics you are very savvy about and people search, keep yourself updated on the latest trends, simply motivate yourself to write the very best articles you can. We all have always room for improvement, even the most seasoned, established writers! You have great potential! Mostly, consider that the more quality articles you have published, the higher chances for them to be featured. It's sort of like a raffle where, the more tickets you buy, the higher the chances to win.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In that case, scores do matter. While I would prefer a better explanation of how the scores are formulated, since they do affect our ranking on topic pages, I would rather know my ranking than have it still exist and not know it.

But if scores are low, and you don't have a clear idea of how to increase it, how is that helpful?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
            Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I guess I feel like I do have a pretty good idea of it, since my score has not gone below 90 since three weeks after I joined. But, maybe I'm wrong. If I don't change my behavior, and my score suddenly tanks, I don't know how I'll fix it.

I doubt they will change much especially if your score has remained fairly consistent.  The fear of hub scores tanking because of our desire to make changes or improvements to our writing is not helpful or healthy I don't think.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think if you have a good score, it's nice to be able to see it.  You can look at it and think, I'm doing OK, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

The problem arises when your score is low.  What do you do to fix it?   Part of HubberScore is an average of all your Hubs, so you could try deleting your low-scoring ones - but as Missing Link has found, that doesn't make much difference. So then you go on a flurry of commenting or Q&A or forum posting - and you find that does make a difference, and before you know it, you're spending hours on social networking instead of writing Hubs.   That can't be good for HubPages, or the Hubber.

The discussion is probably a waste of time, though. People have been suggesting we get rid of the scores for years.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/10 … hub-scores

1. profile image0

You make an excellent and valid point. this forum is a complete waste of time.

3. Jeremy Gill profile image92

I agree that HubScore should be altered or made invisible. That said, I don't see how replacing it with a 1-5 star system would help; seems like just a more generalized score.

But hey, just my two cents.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

It seems to me that what really feeds into these systems is the underlying variables with whatever weightings they might need for each application.  So the score can continue to exist is it is helpful for Hubstaff, but what doe it really do for us? Transparency might help people understand what it is, but many will just automatically chase the score not the meaningful underlying factors of traffic and earnings.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

Marisa, why not hide the Hubber score from other viewers? It should be visible only to the author so that he can know about his credibility. It should be hidden from other viewers, whether they are our own Hubbers or outsiders. So, our profile image should not carry that score along with it while interacting with others.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image92

I had the same thought myself. What if Facebook assigned scores based on number of likes or frequency of activity, and made these scores public? I imagine there'd be quite the backlash.

Of course, HubPages and Facebook are very different, but the same principle stands. I'm glad we know a general idea of where we are, but why make this visible to others?

1. ChristinS profile image38
        ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this.  If HP thinks we need to see it as individuals to gauge how we are doing fine and dandy, but make it private.  Also, there needs to be more "transparency" about how the scores are calculated and more clarification on what it takes to get/keep a higher score.  I've always hated this system - it's so random and makes no sense, even after all the years I've been writing here.

1. profile image0

I'm a decent writer myself. I've written some 26 articles with two unpublished articles, one of them I need to rework, and the other is a work-in-progress. I Dont understand how hubbers with a hubberscore of 70 or below write better articles than I do. HUBBERSCORES MEAN NOTHING IN LATE 2017.

I always find that a little humility and kindness to others goes a long way.

1. profile image0

Congrats on your perfect 100 Hubberscore. You deserve it.

Thank you, Ivan Hernandez, your kindness is appreciated.

1. profile image0

You're welcome. In the morning, before my computer time, I'd like to chat in the forums, but when computer time comes, I always like to edit a couple of titles and articles for a short while. Then I go play games. Most of the time, I'm on social media.

4. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image83
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 6 years ago

I don't think the scores can or would be removed, making them private is a good suggestion though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)