American Greatness

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13147924.jpg
    What ways is America the greatest country in the world?  Or do you contend that America isn't the greatest country in the world-why? Why not?

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

All I can give you is a one-dimensional rating study on justice.  All the other stuff is personal preference such as living in The Big Apple where the city never sleeps or the Big Sky of Montana!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13741138.gif
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13741139.png

Perhaps having the highest child prison rate in is your idea of being the greatest country in the world, but I disagree.

There are other forms of justice such as healthcare seen as a right and not as a commodity, social justice, GINI,
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13741145_f1024.jpg

Perhaps you are a CEO and think the USA is the greatest  ... in pay!
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13741147.png

You see, your definition of "greatest' would be different than mine -it's all an opinion, that's why I'm giving these charts.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13741148.jpg
      According to a U.S. government indicator now in its 70th year of existence, the U.S. economy is getting increasingly “miserable.” The Misery Index is the sum of the U.S. annual inflation rate and U.S. seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate. It was created by an economist during the Truman Administration.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13741149.png

Below chart for 'Tax Burden Misery'

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13741151.gif

Some charts are already outdated, I'm pretty sure this no longer holds true for Puerto Rico
      and why is it listed separate from the United States when it's a colony?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13741154.jpg

2. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

P.S. I suspect some things about the above charts. I simply do not believe that Israel is one of the happiest countries in the world. Sounds like total B.S. reporting since it has Huuuge walls for apartheid and are in a constant 'at war stance' within itself and all surrounding countries.

3. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

I think that in some specific areas America is probably the greatest, like... ummm... in the sheer number of published research papers? That sounds like it’s probably true, right? And HBO. It’s hard to argue there’s a better television channel than HBO!

Overall though probably not the greatest. I’d say that probably goes to one of the Scandinavian countries.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

America's obsession with "greatness" perplexes me.  Why should America be better than other countries? 

America is not better than or worse than.  It's different.  Every country has its unique good points and bad points.   America would be a much better world citizen if it celebrated its undoubted advantages and admitted (and addressed) its faults, instead of shouting about how great and exceptional they are.

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Great answer. Important difference between nationalism and patriotism. -
      https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13750086_f1024.jpg

5. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 6 years ago

I take great pride in my Country. I think most people take pride in their own Country, with the exception of those desperately trying to get into this Country, both legally and illegally. I can't think of any other Country that I'd choose to live in, either legally or illegally, not that any other Country would allow me to do so...illegally that is!
    It's interesting though, no matter how much this Country gives, it's never enough. It is also interesting how many come here to escape shortcomings of their Native Country, to find more opportunity, etc., then seek change, familiar to what they've left behind. (Kind of like when Yankees come South! wink)
    My answer is yes it is, because America is unique to every other Country, no one ever wants to leave (although they threaten) and I can't think of any other place I'd rather be...for a lifetime!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is the fundamental difference between citizens of America and citizens of many other countries. Americans seem to think that "being proud of their country" means "my country is better than any other country in the world".   Whereas citizens of Australia or Germany or France think it means, "my country is the equal of any country in the world."

You can be proud of your country without denigrating others.  It's like being proud of your children.  You're proud of your child, but that doesn't mean you go around boasting they're the best in the class.  And that's as it should be - because it would mean you were closing your eyes that faults the child needed help with.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you are happy in America and that you love it there, but it's not true that people never leave. I've met many Americans living permanently in Australia, for instance. 

That's another example of what I'm talking about.  I don't understand why Americans are so insistent that their country must be perfect.  You can be  proud of your country and love living there, and still accept that it doesn't suit some people.  Different people have different likes and dislikes and that includes which country they like to live in.

As for people desperately wanting to get into America - yes that's true, but millions of people are also desperately trying to get into Australia, Germany, the UK, and Scandinavian countries.  America is not unique in that regard.

6. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Wow and I thought I was treading softly!
    Never said it's a perfect Country, never denigrated any person (the Yankee thing was a joke) or Country. I realize that it is in vogue to tear down this Country, our President, our Symbols, Proud Patriots...but I follow my heart, not the current trends.

7. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13741442.jpg

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

America provides a good environment for living life in freedom which is protected by boundaries (laws) which in turn, protect freedom. Citizen's rights are foremost and are protected by a government designed to allow the people to have their say. Democracies do not work without moral laws which are voluntarily followed by both citizens and their elected officials. All countries work better when their citizens have the good will to help each other thrive and survive. America offers opportunities for all people. America offers an environment based on the institutions, progress and inventions of western civilization. America offers prosperity based on freedom of the market-place. We need to respect nature. We need to teach generosity, temperance and basic principles of spiritual living to the youth.
    Freedom is not a given. It is something to always strive toward and appreciate. It takes discipline to be free. Excess is killing us.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)