Job Boards, Frustration & Wanting to Throat Punch Someone Writers Rant

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I work as a freelance writer.  I took some time off from working for clients to pursue some other interests and now I'm trying to get back in the game. 

So, I've been on some writer job boards and even some major job boards (Indeed, Linkedin etc).  The other day I see this job posted, it's in a niche I am extremely knowledgeable about and the listing looks top-notch. 

I go through all the hoops to send samples, attach my resume and answer their list of questions thoroughly.  I feel good about this one.  I've pitched and applied to 100 different things in the last month, but this one gives me a shot of confidence.  "Nailed it" I think as I go about my business.

Yesterday I see that my portfolio has received many views - even better I think! Woohoo!

This morning, I sat down with my coffee and opened my email.  I see a message from this company and I think awesome! I read the first paragraph.  We are very impressed with your knowledge and writing samples and we think you will be an excellent fit for this job. 

Woohoo - hearts soaring.  We've had a lot of unexpected expenses lately, ill family and just a lot of stress - so I'm thinking fantastic, this will ease some financial stress.

Then I get to paragraph 2.  "I'll be honest, this is an unpaid job but you can put affiliate links in all your articles ...... SNAP.  Needless to say, my otherwise peaceful self then had a mini meltdown on this guy and told him off for not posting that the  "job" was unpaid on the listing itself and that he's not honest he's a fraud and he is wasting the time and resources of people who need actual work.

If this was a one off thing, I'd just suck it up, but now these cretins are invading actual, big name job boards.  If I wanted to be p***ed on for pennies I'd go to a content mill. 

So, thanks for reading the long rant.  I know many of my fellow hubbers also freelance on the side and I figured you'd appreciate my extreme levels of frustration.  lol.

1. EricDockett profile image97
      EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I've wanted to take a crack at freelancing for a long time, but stories like this are a big part of what stops me. Is it typically this much of a hassle to line up with a client?

Sorry you wasted your time. sad  I hope something better comes along soon.

ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Eric,
        In all honesty, my best clients have been ones who have found and approached me.  I've had a few through HubPages even.  Back before UpWork took over Elance, I did find a few good paying jobs there too.  Of course, you have to sift through a lot of junk to get to the good stuff and there is a great deal of competition.

What angered me in this situation was it was an Indeed job posting.  People pay to post jobs there - but they can't pay people to work for them?  I think job boards should be in trouble when they allow postings like this. 

This person did not state that it was an "internship" or any kind of thing to make me believe it was unpaid.  That's deception.  I'd expect things like that on Craigslist, so I never use it, but on a major job board?  That just really made me angry.  I'm reporting it to them and hopefully they'll remove the post, but similar things have happened before. 

I don't want to discourage anyone though from freelancing.  If it's what you want to do, by all means go for it, but know that this is going to be a possibility.  Also, it's much more competitive now than it used to be.  I recommend targeting a specific niche to at least cut down on some time wasted searching.  Also, I may go back to cold pitching, which I hate, but it seems to render the best results. 

Good luck smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

If this had happened to me, I would have reported the poster to Indeed.

I don't freelance, but if I did, I would try to find work with well known, credible writing venues such as magazines that have been around for a long time that you know aren't going to rip you off.

Writing is a tough way to earn a living, that's for sure.  Good Luck.

3. poppyr profile image93
      poppyrposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Similar thing happened to me recently. A guy in Tokyo wanted people to send him useful travel-related articles and failed to mention he wasn't planning to pay people until after I'd sent him my portfolio and cover letter! It's crazy. There's nothing worse than telling artists and writers to "do it for the exposure".

OMG that drives me nuts - we're a brand new site, we can't afford to pay you because we have no idea what we're doing, but we're going to give you lots of exposure!  pffft.  Sorry you had a similar experience.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

I visit job boards every morning rain or shine. It is getting more and more difficult to find legit job offers. I have found some but very few and super far between. Blogs like HP are more appealing because I continue to generate money after posting and the article is mine. 

With that, I suggest continuing to visit the job boards. The legit jobs are there but watch out for too many hoops and such. I avoid those. I have gotten a feel for the ones I think are legit. I have my own red flags. Someone here wrote a great article on watching out for red flags. For the life of me, I can't remember her name. 

By the way, I have replied to those unethical snitches with some pretty strong emails. BOOM!!! They deserve it.

3. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

I used to find freelance jobs on elance and also until a few months ago on upwork. I had given up on freelancing a bit during the merger and when I got back to upwork it took me a while to get the first job, but after that I was being invited to jobs and had to keep rejecting offers due to the workload. GIve upwork a chance maybe?

I find it tedious - the bidding and searching for stuff otherwise I would.  I might again if something doesn't pan out soon.

4. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

That's so frustrating.

Yes, it sure is, but I've decided I'm over it and time to move onwards.  I'll chalk it up to a learning experience and hope that I made it where they won't be able to do that again to someone else.

5. Gyanendra Mocktan profile image82
    Gyanendra Mocktanposted 6 years ago

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience on writing. Above all the frustration you had. This is a valuable information for me. Thank you again from Nepal

You're welcome, glad you found it helpful smile.

6. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 6 years ago

Congrats  that you got positive views from your readers, I wish I would post something like you did and get some jobs online but never did. I don't have that talent

A lot of it is pure luck.  Someone who had a niche site read an article of mine and wanted similar content so it worked out well for both of us.  I know other hubbers have had similar things happen that turned into long-term gigs.  If your hubs are top-notch, promote them.  If they aren't, fix them up and then promote.  It's more of a marketing yourself game these days then top-quality writing sadly.

7. dougwest1 profile image96
    dougwest1posted 6 years ago

Aren't most freelance writers working on Upwork (formally Odesk) these days?

The ones who want to sift through a lot of garbage to find decent pay rates.  I don't like sites like that - the bidding drives down prices and I don't work for peanuts.  I used to use Elance a few years back, but I found it tedious.  Most of your better-paid freelancers are not using sites like these.

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have done some work there. It's okay. I don't go looking for jobs, they come to me. I turn down far more than I accept because many 'employers' seem to think writers are so desperate they'll work for peanuts.

8. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 6 years ago

Welcome to America - the first country in the world where I got offered a dozen jobs, asked about the salary, and told I wouldn't be paid.

My daughter heard the owner of a major, international IT corporation tell his senior staff to get ad many of their junior staff to work gratis. He said that the less they paid their staff, the more they would be paid. That was 2005.

So, yes, if there are people willing to work gratis to 'get experience' snd/or 'pay their dues,' why pay anyone?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)