An Unexpected Bonus

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Blond Logic profile image94
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

Recently I wrote a review of our old Maglite flashlight and its use during a home invasion. I shared the link on Twitter and I got a "like" from Maglite.
    I was then contacted by the director of sales for  Latin America.  She told me how much she enjoyed my article and said she'd like to send us some new Maglite flashlights. She told us to pick two and she'd send them out.
    My husband was like a kid in a candy store, trying to decide which two would suit our needs.
    The two we chose are photographed here. The difference is astounding as they allow us to see to the edge of our property and on to the dunes behind.

Although my review was written to show our appreciation of their product, I was pleasantly surprised by Maglite's response.
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13759866_f1024.jpg

1. lobobrandon profile image90
      lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's really cool. smile

Blond Logicposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I thought so too.
        I just wanted to share the news as I think as writers, we often wonder if our work is getting read.
        I guess this just shows, people are reading our articles.

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is cool!  That is so nice.  I had a similar bonus when I wrote about a bread mix and received about a dozen mixes in the post and the Company added a link to my own article on their website.   I was chuffed.

Sally,
        Just as we like getting comments on our articles, I'm sure companies like to know that their products make a difference in people's lives.

I think people are more inclined to contact a company when things don't work as expected. So positive reviews are welcomed.

When we stop to think about how well a product has served us, why not write a review?

I think it is wonderful when companies contact appreciative owners.

Getting your mixes must have made your day.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What a nice surprise. Great. Perhaps your next review might be of the latest Jaguar car? And Jaguar would offer you two new ones!!??

They are one of my favorite cars, alas where I live completely unsuitable so I guess that review will have to wait. LOL

4. k@ri profile image85
      k@riposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is excellent!  How nice of Maglite, and how nice for your husband, lol.

Hi Kari,

It was such a nice gesture by Maglite. My husband, at 67 isn't impressed with much, but he was like a young boy given his first flashlight.

The first night he came to the door saying, "You'll never guess what I've got".

I said, "a nightjar" you may call it a whippoorwill.

He brought one in to show me. They have a huge mouth. We've only ever heard them at night and seen them once during the day.

He is like an old boy scout. LOL

5. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How cool! isn't it lovely when people appreciate what you have done? Enjoy!

Hi Nell,

Yes it is.
        My husband reckons these torches will outlive him.
        Thanks for your comment.

6. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@BlondLogic,
      Congratulations and keep up the fine work!

Thank you Kenneth,

Great to hear from you.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
          kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Blond Logic smile Always Thinking of You and Your Great Writing Talent.

7. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a great story. Your Hubby uses flashlight to whack home invader over the head, that is amazing! And then receives brand new flashlight from the company. I love it.

8. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nice! What a fun surprise! smile

Hi Christy,

I was both surprised and pleased. The flashlights will be put to good use here on our farm.
        Without you, your team and Hubpages, it wouldn't have happened.
        So thank you.

9. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow, that's excellent.
      Congratulations.

Hi Ashish,

Thank you.

10. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's great.  Some companies are extremely generous.  Maglite must be one of them!  Good job!

Thanks Sondra,

I was impressed with their products before and now their company has also proven they are stand by their products and their customers.

I have nothing but praise for them.

Great to hear from you.

Talking about being all praise for them, why not include this generous offer into the review? People would naturally trust companies when they can connect with them.

That's a great idea,  Brandon. I will add a note to the end of the review.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

Congratulations Mary! 

When you tweeted it, did you include a hashtag for Maglite? I'm wondering how they found your tweet. That would be good to know for anyone writing reviews of products.

Hi Glenn,

I had to go back through my Twitter feed as I wasn't sure if I had or not.

The answer is no, I didn't but they still found it. With hindsight, throwing in a hashtag would have increased my chances of them finding it.

Thanks for asking.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's amazing that they found it without hashtags. They must be watching for specific keywords in text. I looked through your Twitter feed but didn't find it.

Anyway, congrats again.

Thanks Glenn,

I think it was in August, I had to go back quite a bit.

I'm pleased they found it. 

Here's what I put in my tweet.

"There's more to a Maglite flashlight than illumination. Here's how we use it on our farm in Brazil." and then a shortened link to my article. I also put an image up, as I tend to get a better engagement with a photo.

I have also had another person make a video after reading one of my posts. It was about crowdfunding a sailing adventure and one of the couples I mentioned in the article, created a video about the topic after reading it.
          I think using Google Alerts is how they know if someone mentions their name on the internet. I haven't used it but I think it is worth checking out.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I use Google Alerts too, to catch plagiarized copies of my hubs. HubPages doesn’t always find them as fast.

Glenn, that is a good idea. I will have to do that.

Thanks for letting us know about using it to catch plagiarists.

3. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 6 years ago

What a lovely story! Congratulations on the new flashlights, Mary.

Thanks Linda.

My husband is now doing nightly strolls, to see what nocturnal animals are around.

4. Glenis Rix profile image93
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

What a lovely surprise and so nice to have your work validated.Well done.

Hi Glenis,

You're right about that. To see the Google Analytics is one thing but to have a comment or someone contact you about an article, then you know your words have had an impact.

Writing can be a lonely game so when something like this happens, it means a lot.

5. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 6 years ago

congratulations... the flashlight was a bonus but to be noticed because of what you have written is priceless..

Hi Maria,

Thanks.
      Our misfortune of a break in had a silver lining after all.

It is wonderful when your work is recognized.

6. profile image0
    Several Composersposted 6 years ago

That is absolutely fantastic! You must be walking on the moon with the feeling of appreciation. Especially attention from such an esteemed company with a high quality product.

Hi,

Yes I am. Although my husband is more excited about the flashlights, I'm thrilled to bits at having been noticed.
      Our old Maglite is a legend in our neck of the woods after my husband smacked a thief on the side of the head with it.

The Brazilian police came and were impressed with the weight of the Maglite and its usability as a weapon.

Thanks for your comment.

7. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 6 years ago

Congratulations, Mary!  What a great surprise for doing what you like to do.  Hope there are others.

Hi Dora,

Although it is lovely to be noticed, it wasn't my intention to get Maglite to read it when I was writing it. They have a set of stories on their website where people have listed their experiences with their Maglite flashlights but I didn't realize this at the time.

My article was more of a story of how we used it in a robbery we had at our home.

Like your reviews of the books you read, mine was showing appreciation of a well-made product.
      When we can make a review interesting and tangible, they have more impact.

Great to hear from you, I hope you've had a wonderful weekend.

8. lobobrandon profile image90
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Finally had the chance to read the review. It's sort of like a thriller that ends in a single chapter smile

9. Blond Logic profile image94

Hi Snakeslane,
    Yes, that is it in a nutshell. Their flashlights are robust. I believe they are used by the US police and the military.
    Thanks

10. Blond Logic profile image94

Hi Brandon,
    Looking back, that night changed everything that has happened since.
    It altered the business we decided to start, our attitude towards strangers, and has taken the shine off living in paradise.
    Thanks for reading the article.

I do hope it changed things for the better smile

11. Mamerto profile image91
    Mamertoposted 6 years ago

Congratulations! That was a blessing indeed. Writing stuffs could really bring unexpected opportunities! Expect more to come smile

Thanks,
      I know there are others here on Hubpages who have similar good fortune. You never know who is reading or sharing your article.
      Great to hear from you.

12. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Cool, and lucky you! - I'm always saying nice things about manufacturer's and retailer's products on Twitter, or posting links to reviews on HubPages but most of the time they never reciprocate.

Hi Eugene,

Thanks. Maglite have users stories on their website so they encourage people to share their experiences with their products. I didn't realize it at the time when I wrote my review, however.

Perhaps it was the intensity of the event. Cracking an armed thief on the side of the head with a flashlight before being tackled by the other two was rather eventful for even a young person, let alone a 60-year-old amputee! Pinned to the ground, with the robber's knee on his neck, a gun to his head and his prosthetic leg off, my husband was incapacitated.

I got off easy and only had a knife held to my throat while the third person ran through the house stealing our belongings.

I do think it's a shame that more companies don't acknowledge satisfied customers. To my way of thinking, they are the best advertising money can buy. I suppose you could send your review directly to them, at least you'll know they've seen it. Some companies are still slow in seeing the positive impact a social media presence can have on their company's bottom line.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's an awful ordeal to have gone through... Hope you're rising above any traumatic after effects?

Hi Eugene,
          It took a long time and has changed every aspect of our lives.

13. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years ago

That’s wonderful to know! Congratulations Mary!

14. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 6 years ago

That´s great. Congratulations!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)