Liberals are far , far more" educated "?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

I have recently read this and am wondering what your forum responses will be ?
    Anyone ?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Does "educated" mean formal, classroom, education?  If so, it appears that liberals are somewhat (not "far more") educated than conservatives.

If it means learning the ability to think and reason, if it means learning to be self sufficient, if it means learning how to support ones self, then I'd have to give the award to conservatives in general.

1. ptosis profile image68
        ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Education involves the seeking of facts, and learning about what is the truth, and what is not. Indoctrination is aimed at influencing people to believe in facts, without being able to back up these newfound facts with anything but opinion. You can be indoctrinated into a political party, a cult, or a belief system.

A good deal of formal education involves reading books to see what others think and then incorporating those opinions into one's own world view.  My entire college education, outside of the sciences and PE, consisted of this and you're 100% correct; it is indoctrination, not learning how to reason or think.  It IS seeking of facts...but those facts are no more than conclusions/opinions of someone else.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I believe that liberals are more educated or least more open minded than conservatives.  Liberals see all sides of the issue.  Also, liberals realize that there are differences which should be accepted.  Conservatives subscribe to the purview that it is their way or no way.  Conservatives are quite uncomfortable, even threatened by differences.  They feel that differences are a threat to their particular world order.   For example, in liberal households, there may be a conservative child which is fine with liberals.  However, in conservative households if there is a liberal or individualistic child, conservative parents browbeat or use other psychological tactics to get their child into the conservative line.

3. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Depends on your definition of "educated".
      Gender studies (Rutgers)
      Wasting time on the internet (UP)
      Critical theory and social justice (Occidental),
      Tattoos, piercings and body adornments (Pitzer),
      The sociology of Miley Cyrus (Skidmore),
      Being bored (Brown)

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

A google search showed multiple articles making conflicting claims. According to one, Pew Research found (in multiple studies) that Republicans were more informed, generally, than Democrats and that subsets (like the Tea Party) tended to be more educated than the whole of either party.

What, exactly, does this prove? To me, not much. Level of education in one field of study does not indicate a higher ability to make better choices in governance. It might only give one a bit of an edge in topics related to one's chosen profession. I don't think I would necessarily believe someone with a degree in marine biology had a better grasp on subjects like economics, immigration or tax law. Only a fool (or a  person very, very insecure in their ability to give reasoned and rational explanations for their opinions on such topics) would argue otherwise.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Live to learn, I will carefully step around the edge here, and try not to fall into that lot of fools you mentioned. While I agree with most of your comment, I would offer a thought on its closing.

I can see the civic exposure involved in getting an advanced education, your marine biologist for example, as also being a bit of a life education. One that might add to the generally informed idea that you attribute to Republicans, (although I again generally agree with that, I would say Conservatives rather than Republicans).

GA

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This whole conversation is beneath the level of intelligence and maturity of most adults. It's funny because the far left appears to find conservatives to be ignorant, mean spirited and uncaring. The far right appears to believe that most liberals are educated beyond their level of intelligence.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if, instead of insulting and dismissing the other side, we all attempted to hear each other, understand what factors have brought each of us to our unique conclusions, respect that journey and attempt to find common ground?

3. profile image0

Let me clarify my post, I read an article saying being Liberally "educated"  means there is far more the chance that liberal ideologies are based on the group mentality .  Ie. An agenda,   a pre- planed and Early education instilled  pattern of intellectual growth. ..... political .."group think".?

1. VanessaJanes profile image72
      VanessaJanesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is a political talking point promulgated by powerful people (who, by the way, are highly educated) to cast doubt upon the findings of scientists and other scholars. Their goal is to avoid answering for their actions that contribute to the degradation of the planet and the foundations of culture, economics, and democracy. You are being led around by the nose and don't know it. Maybe you need to read a book or two.  :-)

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Essentially the article asked , simply , Why have liberals continue straight  down the road of defeatism with the Clinton campaign born obstructionism   given the total negativity  of that path.    At some point the acceptance of  and the turning away from that defeat  would be the natural path  to walk except , that "group think " is the glue holding them together and the slime keeping them from  progressing .

Try answering instead of dodging .

1. VanessaJanes profile image72
          VanessaJanesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I responded directly to your premise by stating it was an invention to justify ignoring or minimizing the results of academic research and scientific findings.  Just because you don't like my answer does not mean I was dodging.

You are buying into a theory promulgated by rich, well-educated capitalists who want the masses to remain dumbed down, so the powerful can tell them what to think.  You are the one buying into a premise without presenting any real evidence to support it.  I am likewise countering your premise. 

You don't like it?  Fine. My premise is just as well-supported as yours, i.e., not at all.

1. Credence2 profile image78
            Credence2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That sounds a lot like my 'take' on this matter, as well.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Now hold on Cred, don't interrupt them. It' getting good, and they are both making valid points, albeit the agreement with that validity depends on which side of the fence you are standing on.

Happily, I find myself confidently standing with one foot on each side of that fence. While I can find agreement with ahorseback's "group think" point, (even if he didn't mention the Right has the same problem), I can also agree with Vanessajanes point of the "promulgated talking point."

GA

Relative to the points of view of conservatives, someone has to be the 'devil's advocate'. This lady was sole in expressing this perspective, just making sure that it was not an isolated one. Do you really think that the rightwing sorts do not have its own form of "group think"? From my perspective the Right is more inlockstep in its thinking beyond that even possible by the left. We on the left are divided between establishment and populism. The Right all acquiesce in the reality of Donald Trump with little daylight to be found in opposition.

1. profile image0

How does one explain then , The conservative child /adult / person who comes  up through  the  overly - to put it lightly -liberal education system , at least on one side of liberal parenting and THEN becomes or morphs towards conservativism ?

I say one perhaps more likely to independent thought .

My point here in a less  popular  line of thought is this , of both ideologies  I see liberals as being far more systematically "educated " ,directed , trained and  indoctrinated  from youth  .

Following your narrative here, ahorseback, here is another quandary for you.

The links I provided are from Forbes magazine, a business publication that can hardly be accused of liberal bias.

This is interesting, the among the most educated states

#1 Massachusetts
                    Maryland
                    Colorado
                    Connecticut
                    Vermont
                    New Hampshire
                    Virginia
                    Minnesota
                    Washington
                    #10  New jersey

The most educated, I would be hard pressed to find any of these with the noted exception of Virginia or Colorado that even considered voting GOP. I mean, it has to be more than just a coincidence, yes? I grew up in Colorado and watched progressivism take the stage moving the state in a clearly different path  from its more conservative neighbors of Kansas and Wyoming. Northern Virginia, in the shadow of the Washington, DC, will put on pressure to squeeze the remaining conservatism out of this state in time.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/eglg45i … 688b61ed1e

Click the link below and be introduced to the least educated among the 50 states.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstr … 94f12071be

Oklahoma
                    Texas
                    Tennessee
                    Alabama
                    Nevada
                    Kentucky
                    Arkansas
                    Louisiana
                    Mississippi
                    West Virginia

Are you seeing a pattern? These states as the best of the worse (Oklahoma) and the worse, West Virginia are all, with the noted exception of Nevada,  rock hard GOP strongholds. We will get Nevada to flip Blue once more of the exodus from Southern California into relatively inexpensive Clark County, Nevada takes its course. Again, is it a coincidence? I doubt it. So if conservatives are so smart why this consistent and continuous pattern?

Intelligent people and the GOP brand of conservativism clearly does not mix. You can talk about education indoctrination and such, but the stats do not lie. It is easy to see just who is who....

2. GA Anderson profile image88

Yep Credence2, I do think the Right has a similar issue. That's why my comment included; "...  (even if he didn't mention the Right has the same problem)..." But that doesn't mean I don't think ahorseback had a valid point.

GA

3. gmwilliams profile image85

In terms of psychological attributes, liberals are more cosmopolitan in scope.  They realize that there is more than one methodology in analyzing beliefs & so-called facts.  They are more discerning.  They also refuse to accept old, outmoded traditions.  They are also nonconformist, even unconventional.   Conservatives accept the status quo, believe in tradition although such traditions are passe and no longer workable.  I am speaking of psychosocial liberalism.   Liberals also try and test new theorems.  They are not afraid of rocking that boat.

Conservatives believe in the tried and true.  They lead a very conscripted life.  They are fearful of the new and different.  Some conservative may even contend that anything outside their purview is verboten, even evil.  They want to be safe and go down that narrow, tested path. They are afraid of the modern, more so of postmodernity.  Something about the modern unhinge the conservative mind.  They love the past because it is tried and true, even "more safe" than the present.

Noted: one set of values is conducive to a progressing and improved society, the other is not so much.

If the Left were anywhere near as cohesive and defensive as the Right, the GOP would not win politically anywhere.

As a student of the past, I can say that before the 1960's, the past 'sucked'. Who really wants to go there?

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

They are educated by each other with these lessons on how to live: No consequences, no taking responsibility for themselves, no thinking ahead and planning for their future/success. No reality, no God. Yes, freedom to abuse freedom of action and freedom of speech. Yes, freedom to express themselves without common courtesy regard of the effects of their behavior on others.
    So, after all this education are they oh, so smart?
    NO.

5. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

I have looked at some research studies that say the Next Generation (Generation Z) that just voted for there first time in 2016 are largely conservative.  They are also being called “more pragmatic”.  I read a study based on all the chaos these young people have grown up with has had a profound effect on their lives.  Aw, the age of smart phones and computers and a desire to know the facts. 

Really something to think about the future leaders.
    Trade schools and apprenticeships are on the rise. I like the idea of earning a good income while learning skills for higher paying careers. That is the route to go. The young people are being given an alternative choice, rather than going into deed at indoctrination collages.

6. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 6 years ago

Just a theory and I don’t really have anything to back it up, but I wonder if on average liberals are more drawn to formal education and conservatives are more drawn to trades and labour.

Conservatives tend to pride themselves on putting in hard work and everyone supporting themselves so I wonder if that translates into foregoing thousands of dollars in student debt and sitting in a classroom for 4 years.

On the flip-side, a lot of the popular degrees are in the social sciences and humanities which are areas that liberals tend to focus on and care about.

If you look at the literal definition of “conservative” you get: holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion. Pretty much any subjects outside of math and history are about change and innovation. 

Likewise if you look at the definition of “liberal”: open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values. Which is conducive to attending college/university and expanding knowledge about multiple subjects.

Anyway, like I said, just a simple thought that I’m sure is terribly boring for you because it doesn’t really fit with your combative narrative but there ya go.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

This is correct.   Furthermore, the more educated a person is, usually the more liberal he or she is.  Conversely, the less educated a person is, the MORE conservative he or she is.  Conservatives, on average, are less educated than liberals.

1. profile image0

Yes , yes , yes ,...... Let's all look at primarily liberally applied  education system "studies" , ie. Harvard , Georgetown ,UCLA , and then determine that yes  "liberals are more intelligent "   .  They sure are .Conservatives  after all , are rednecks , drive jacked up -pick- ups ,hunt , fish and kill neighborly dogs , own lots of primitive weaponry ,  vote with their handgun supporting leaders every time ,they  live in trailer parks  and feed their kids  starchy foods .

Who is really the most intellectual ?   Those who most instantly categorize all others  upon sight perhaps ?

Liberal intellectuals ? Aime  , G.M.........Thanks for this , it's very informative. I feel more intelligent already .

1. Aime F profile image70
          Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I said nothing about intelligence. I was talking about education. There’s a difference. I don’t think a degree automatically makes a person smarter than someone who doesn’t have one. There are different kinds of intelligence that are measured in different ways and it’s not as simple as having a degree or not.

I was simply trying to explain why I think liberals may be more educated. Not more intelligent. As I said, I’m not interested in being combative. smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

education and intelligence usually go hand in hand …. But maybe not anymore.

1. Aime F profile image70
              Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

College/University education is usually pretty focused. You can probably safely assume that a person is more intelligent than those without a degree in the area of that degree but general intelligence is much bigger than that.

7. JoanneKristin profile image86
    JoanneKristinposted 6 years ago

It sounds like something a liberal would say.

8. profile image0

Vermont became a bedroom community for 60's  NY, NJ , Conn, Mass. in 1970 ..... ex hippy's who took over the  legislature and  became a totally liberal enclave .   Legislature now over 80 %  liberal voting , in other words a California wanna-be state ,

Fact ,  somebody isn't doing their homework , Credence.

Yea ,.... they claim to be all educated too , Too bad Vermont is a fiscal nightmare for one problem , a welfare state for two and  a health care fiasco .

I just left that state for good  , see us rednecks aren't so uninformed.

How can someplace like Vermont be compared with California? I can't debate you as you lived there and probably have better sense of what is going on. Good progressives of Vermont will say, 'don't let the door hit you in the rump on the way out'.

Where did you go, did you find your calling in West Virginia? Tell everybody in Hooterville there, hello.
      You've found your element.

1. profile image0

Actually no , I moved to California  to change hearts and minds !  We may save that state from itself yet , next on the list ........your state .

There you go again Credence ,assuming  conservatives are all rednecks ....nice !

I'm sorry for you...

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh, they have HUGE plans for us! We need ALL the HELP we can get! Thanks ahorseback!

http://www.scag.ca.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Well, one day the western coast will be in the ocean, whereupon the radical left of the state will disappear.  Without the two massive metropolitan areas the state will go red instead of blue.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that....

No, me neither.  The San Andreas WILL let go one day, but who knows when?

2. profile image0

Actually I would neither move to California  nor try to change it ,  California's liberal ideologies  and those  people who believe them operate outside of America's definition of two party  differences .

1. ptosis profile image68
              ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

WTF, you just said

What kind of crap is that? I can't tell if
              You are lying about living in CA
              or
              You are lying about not being in CA

Which is it?

2. Credence2 profile image78

Ahorseback, you yourself used the term 'redneck'. Don't go to California all you are going to do is to come down with the case of Blue Flu. California is an impregnable bastion of the left. There are pockets where rightwingers are allowed to live, but they are cloistered and kept away from the civilized populace.

The State of Florida is purple in the fact the politically laggard parts of the state lie mostly on the panhandle. With the influx of New Yorkers and 'snowbirds' from New England, there is much more 'left' here than what is found among her southern neighbors.

1. profile image0

Credence , I may have used the term in describing myself only , in fact I know I have but you have insinuated over and over again  the correlation in conservative to redneck . You can't erase your history here .Apologies or not.

I apologized for using the term 'less intelligent' when comparing progressives with conservatives. Yes, based on certain voting pattern and the consistency of where they are found, you proved your own point, "Conservatives are less educated" Less educated means less urbane, less sophisticated, less successful, (it is not hard to show that the GOP red states are found among the union's least successful economically.

So, who am I going to go with, it will be Massachusetts and Maryland over West Virginia and Mississippi. Not to hard of a choice for me to make, but for the rightwinger/conservative types, not so much. I will not say 'redneck' but lets just say 'less successful'.

Everything that makes society go, the engineers, scientists and professionals are the people I like to be associated with, not the people that clean up at Walmart. Dale Carnegie mentioned that successful people surround themselves with those that are a model of that success already attained. And don't say I am elitist, It is my objective  to shoot for the stars and not just the stone in the next yard.

1. profile image0

Credence , You don't ever have to call yourself an elitist ,   your  written posts speak volumes all by themselves  on that !     When something is implied in every post;   then there it is .

Credence ,    " I'm sorry  BUT" doesn't very well mean , I'm sorry .

2. wilderness profile image94

LOL  California is no different that any other state: the liberals are concentrated in the pockets of concrete jungles, the ant hills in the savannas of modern life.  Outside those enclaves of insanity and madness the free world continues to operate quite well.

9. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

Some are called.
    They "Count it all joy."
    But, I do get your point.
    I won't want the task.

10. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Saw this video today. Unbelievable. Students are now insisting that education, itself, is racist.This is the direction our 'liberals' are going. I would say the definition of 'educated' is going to diminish considerably if these types get their way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZKRz1QXtC4

11. profile image0

Couldn't have stated that better Wilderness ,  The cities , always the overly populated liberal strongholds , always . A side note or   interesting  observation ,  I have always people watched and have found it amusing to watch city dwellers vacationing in the country - They never seem to really know what to do after they arrive !

12. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 6 years ago

Well Said, Wilderness, Well Said!  As sad as it might be, we are becoming products of our environment, it seems.
    As more people migrate into their expensive world of cubicles (called apartments), walk their dog in their small parks, eat in their small diners and are fed the same liberal pablum in their conversations and news outlets, then I guess it makes sense that they no longer realize that other part of America where there are trees, forests, mountains, home-grown foods, and the freedom to use and enjoy each.
    The problem seems to be that the further the cities turn homes into human beehives, and tell the people this is good for them, the communications between Urban and Rural peoples will become more strained.
    DON

13. profile image0

Thus evolving we are soon to become the "Jetson's ", flying cars ,  cubicle jobs , socialized government will run everything ,  .......I watched a documentary the other night about a man in Nova -Scotia who lived as a hermit in a one room cabin  all through his life while people worked to "normalize " his life , his home , his health and lifestyle .........He ended up dying alone in the woods .

Must have been a happy man .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)