How Do We Solve These Mass Killings??

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (26 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

We've had three mass killings (that we've heard about) in the last month. Here they are:

1. Las Vegas - Oct. 1 - a man using various guns kills 58 people and injures another 546.

2. New York - Oct. 31 - a man uses a truck and kills 8 people and injures 11 others.

3. Sutherland Springs, Texas - Nov. 5 - a man, using various guns, walks into a church and kills at least 26 people.

What are some possible solutions that might help prevent such tragedies in the future? According to our government, here are their answers:

1. Nothing
    2. Extreme vetting (the murderer was from another country)
    3. Nothing

Do you agree with the government's solution? What are your ideas?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

https://www.census.gov/popclock/world

Out of over 325 million people? Nothing. In fact, I'm surprised there are not more. Statistically, this should be a multi-daily occurrence. My guess is that not all of them are even being reported.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Ban all guns ,  ban religion , ban hatred,  ban churches ...........?

There are simply just some things in life that nothing can be done about , Mental illness  ,    violent tendencies in humanity ,    religious oriented violence  ,  secular or non-secular  violence  .   The very reason you ask this question in fact is because you feel helpless in the face of your conscience .

What we can do is focus on a ladder of importance ,   Is mass killings the highest rate of unnatural death ?    Is the media focused on "If it bleeds it reads " too much [yes ] . on the scale of unnatural deaths in America , Falling is about number one . Did you know that ?    Heart ailments is a close second ,   of course above all is abortions .

Put it all in perspective , I know ! That's pretty boring however It IS the truth .

3. colorfulone profile image76
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

The shooter in Texas had a criminal record of violence in the military during the Obama-era, and the Air Force bureaucracy failed to enter that vital information into the data base.  Had that been done, the shooter would never have passed the FBI background check and would not have been able to purchases guns.   

Thankfully, a plumber with no military background was armed and a super great shot, otherwise there would have been more people murdered.

Churches need to harden the perimeters for security.  There have been too many church shooting and deaths of innocent people. 

Lots of mentally ill people in this country, in the world.

1. Paul Wingertt profile image60
      Paul Wingerttposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Love how you threw in "Obama-era" as if that means anything. We can thank the orange POS for lifting the ban that prevented the mentally ill from purchasing firearms back in Feb and Republicans for letting the assault weapon ban expire in '04.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What assault weapon ban?  To my knowledge there has never been an "assault weapon" ban that cleared the courts (using current definition of "assault weapon" of anything black and scary looking).

2. colorfulone profile image76
        colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I used Obama-ear, as a time frame.  Now we are in a new era, the Trump-ear.

There are mentally ill people who wouldn't harm a fly, but they should be able to protect themselves in their own homes. 

Automatic and semi-auto. are not assault weapons.

The TX shooter had a violent criminal record and obviously had a violent mental illness.  It is the Air Force's fault that the nut-job was able to legally purchase weapons because of someone's incompetency. That is where I placed the blame.

crankaliciousposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So you are saying that gun control laws are effective at keeping crazy people from purchasing guns and that this mass murder wouldn't have happened if this man had simply been in the database?

1. colorfulone profile image76

No I am saying the shooter would not have been able to purchase weapons legally.  But, he did. That doesn't mean he could not have gotten guns illegally.

So what difference do gun laws make? Seems like we don't need any. Why blame the Air Force for anything? Furthermore, seems like the solution is to arm as many people as possible so innocent people can fire back when attacked.

The Air Force didn't report a dishonorably discharged violent creep to the FBI. How would more government regulations solve gun crime?

Where did I say that we need more regulation? I'm trying to figure out what you're saying, but you're asking me questions about something I never said.

You stated that the murderer purchased guns legally, but should have been reported and it's therefore the Air Force's fault while also saying that he could have just purchased guns illegally. So what difference did it make whether the Air Force reported him or not. Laws or no laws, it doesn't seem to matter how or where he got his guns, he would have gotten them anyway.

So isn't the solution trying to make sure more innocent people have guns so they can defend themselves?

Why not offer up a solution instead of engaging in all this hyperbole?

I'm also asking if you think there are any solutions to the three mass killings I cited? Do you?

Communication beak down.  "So what difference do gun laws make?"

I was agreeing with you, satirically.  Pardon my dry humor.  I should have communicated that I agree.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87
                  MizBejabbersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Colorfulone, I'm sorry to report that there is an error in your facts. The shooter did not have a dishonorable discharge, he had a bad conduct discharge for domestic violence. Seems that violence upon one's family doesn't rate "dishonorable" by the military, it's just bad conduct.
                  http://www.businessinsider.com/texas-ch … ce-2017-11
                  He was banned from buying a gun in Texas, but not in other states.

2. MizBejabbers profile image87

"...seems like the solution is to arm as many people as possible so innocent people can fire back when attacked."

Crankalicious, I've just retired from a state government job that put this very kind of laws on the books. I also know that many red states are doing that very thing. Seems like the solution here is to elect more officials who are against this very trend.

2. wilderness profile image94

That's quite a leap, isn't it, from failure to record history to preventing him from purchasing guns?  There IS a black market in the country, and nearly all the guns used in murders are not purchased legally.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87

Wilderness, at this point in time, I don't think it is illegal to purchase a gun from your neighbor or your uncle who purchased it legally, nor to own a gun that you acquired when your late father passed away. That is a far cry from buying a stolen gun on the street, but it can be just as deadly. What should be the solution to that? Should all guns be turned in to the government when the original legal owner dies or no longer wants the gun?
        I've seen government "gun buy-backs" in which droves of people turn in guns in return for a check of about $200, but that's voluntary. Do you think it should be mandatory?

4. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

I was hoping this wouldn't get off on a political slant in the sense that we're going to assign blame to one political party, so I'll try to get this back on track (and likely fail).

I was hoping for solutions. You can be for gun control or for arming every citizen as a solution.

My point was that a solution was proposed for one of these mass murders - extreme vetting. However, the same solution was not proposed for the others.

What's the difference?

One difference I'd like to point out is that most states do not have a mental institution for the criminally insane. Texas does. Texas is also the only state in which the shooter couldn't legally buy a gun. Perhaps we need to follow the lead of Texas. Maybe a person who is charged with any type of violence should be required to have a mental evaluation. There are mentally ill people on death row in various states, including my own. Do we approve of putting a criminally insane murder on medication and then when he/she becomes lucid, try him for a crime committed while out of  his head, a crime the person may not even remember committing,then putting him to death? Or should that person be locked up for life with hardened criminals? Maybe a better solution would be to sentence that person to a mental institution in which the personnel are trained to deal with violent insanity. But still, unless the source of the insanity is found and actually cured, it still wouldn't be wise to treat the symptoms and let the person back out into society.
      It wasn't the gun that did it. He could have used a bomb and killed twice as many.

1. wilderness profile image94

"Maybe a person who is charged with any type of violence should be required to have a mental evaluation."

Presumably you mean an evaluation in order to get a gun.  Change that "charged with any type of violence" to "convicted of a violent crime" and you might have my support.  Thinking here of the thousands of restraining orders that are filed without any real reason or because the person filing it didn't like the outcome after they began a fight.  Or better yet, some kind of consideration of the crime; I know a man that stole a case of beer and, laughing, walked through a fly swatter held out to stop him - he was convicted of battery, yet there was no real violence in the crime at all.  And I've seen people convicted of involuntary manslaughter - certainly violent, but not the "kind" of violence that should deny a gun to someone.

Of course, that means a nation wide, accurate compilation of all violent crimes.

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Bottom line ; Liberal ideologies are responsible ! Yes , That's right .

Why ?  It is the bottomless pit of softening on crime stance that liberals always take !
    It is the incredible mass softening on crime that  liberals have  almost completely reduced our criminal justice system to,  Hence more crime , more violence , less incarceration , softer judges ,   plea bargains .  Easier on drug related crimes , after  all  drug addictions are just a "sickness ", alcohol crimes are just a" sickness" right , domestic violence is just a "sickness " right ?

Maybe there's a co-relation between mass softening on crime and mass killings ?

Oh, yeah, blame it on the liberals. The liberals are responsible for everything from your toothache to your kid's failing in school. Why don't we just shoot anyone accused of any violent tendencies?
      Today's society has taken the stance that to be accused is guilty. Where is the assumption of innocent until proven guilty. Do you know how many innocent people are rotting in jails now because of overzealous prosecutors while the real criminal is free to go out and do it again? Judges are refusing to release people from prison  or grant new trials even after they've being cleared by DNA tests. That's real justice!

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How incredibly naive to suggest that the  system is perfect the way it is , OMG if we just wrote one more law dealing with guns , all gun crime would end immediately ? The fact that you just "retired from state gov. that put these laws on the books ........"   shows that  nothing you have done so far with law has cured these murderers . Real criminals laugh at all laws and you haven't figured that out yet ? 

Shame on you and the  "job" that you think you accomplished .

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Geez Louise ... Before your vacation, your word of the day was "shallow," now it seems to be "naive."

ahorseback, you might want to consider that "glass houses" admonition, or at least a longer shovel handle, before continuing this "naive" trend.

Fortunately, for you,  your posts are posited as opinions, without any refutable factual basis', but, I think you would be sorely tested if you had to support your Liberal slanders with provable points.

GA

1. profile image0
            ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

GA , facts , statistics and truths are thrown around here like so much doggy doo .  I won't cut and paste like most because of the origins of such charts  are  as biased and incorrect as the people who use them .   

There is obviously a certain naivete with the alt-left that is very obvious to most , And my facts are as good as the next , just as are my opinions .  Do you think because you show a chart that makes your opinion more worthy, more truthful , more important?

1. GA Anderson profile image89
              GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback, I think you missed my point. But that is probably a good thing, because it was poorly made and inappropriately presented.

And I don't post charts.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)