Modified 100 Hub Challenge in 30 days

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (42 posts)
  1. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 6 years ago

I haven't been actively writing on Hub Pages in a while and want to get back into this and this might get me motivated.

I remember hearing about a 100 hub challenge some years ago and I know that I could not possibly write 100 hubs in a month.  That is why I am attempting to do this in a modified way.

With my job, I work the night shift sometimes up to 12 hours a day.   On the days I work, I like to stop at the gym and get a workout in and try to do most of my house-cleaning done so I do not have to do much on my days off.     I get seven days a month off.  Sometimes I get more days off, especially when my long weekends fall in the beginning and end of the month.  I usually do my writing on my days off.  So one way this challenge is modified is by writing only on my days off, this will actually take me 3-4 months.

Another way this challenge is going to be modified is by the topics contained within a hub.  For example I might write a hub about purchasing a certain product.  The hub may have information about what the product is.  It may also have the pros about the product and the cons.  I would consider that as three hubs.  (Note: This is just an example, I really don't plan on writing on a product.)

I am not going to rush on it by publishing substandard hubs.  If I feel that some are incomplete, I will just let them lie as unpublished until I can get them edited.  My long weekend comes up next Saturday November 18,2017, so am planning on starting then.

Will keep you updated.

1. LiliMarlene profile image84
      LiliMarleneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nice idea to challenge yourself this way. I think it is possible to write 100 hubs of at least 1,000 words and with proper pics etc within 30 days. But, only if you write full time and prepare every article, have hand written notes of your researches etc.
      Nevertheless, I wish you best of luck for this project.
      After 3 years at hubpages and with my reduced portfolio of 18-20 articles I am now close to the number of 90,000 readers. With your project you probably will increase your number of readers to a million, I hope. So, go for it!

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Got two hubs published.  One was an overhaul of a previous hub. I will only post links once in a while so I don't overload the forum.

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Don't post links at all. Look at the message on the left when you click on Reply. Self-promotion of hubs is not permitted.

Only post links from an email sent by QAP if your hub isn't approved.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Raggededge, this just shows how long it's been since people did Challenges.

This is the HubChallenge section. If you're doing a Challenge, you're allowed to (in fact you're supposed to) post a link to each Hub as you complete it.

Thank you for clarifying that

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image61

Got five hubs published so far.  From the looks of things, I might have more than 25 hubs when this challenge is over

4. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I haven't posted lately but want to give an update.  In the home remedy field (my second site) I had 23 published articles and 10 with this site.  I have approximately 40 articles sitting in my Word Program.  They didn't get published because they would not meet the minimum standards of Hub Pages due to word count.  I will be working on these in the near future.

Would this have counted as 100 hubs?  In my opinion maybe,  since some of the hubs were longer and could have been broken down into smaller hubs.  Maybe not in other's mind since a hub is a hub and should only be counted as one.

Still this was an excellent challenge and it gave me a quick start to get into writing.

2. Jan Saints profile image87
    Jan Saintsposted 6 years ago

Waiting to read your new hubs! Let 'em come!

I have set up a second account just to keep my hubs better categorized.  The user name for that one is LoisRyan1965.  I am going to use this account LoisRyan13903 for (I think) my Bible related hubs.  And the other one will be used for my home remedies hubs.

So far I have published one hub.  I had time on Thursday to do this so I will use that 11/09/17 as the start date.

This is my hub https://hubpages.com/health/Old-Traditi … chen-Cures
      I think counting this as four hubs is fine.

If I am not allowed to post links, let me know and I will remove this.  I know in the past posting links was fine

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

You do know that if you want to get paid, each account has to reach $50 to reach payout? There isn't much point in splitting your hubs out into different accounts.

Good luck with your endeavours; you sound like a very busy person.

That's true. This account has taken over 4 years to reach 22.00.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image61

Two new hubs for today

https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … the-Basics https://hubpages.com/health/Everyday-Ho … cid-Reflux

My next day off will be next week on Wednesday so stayed tuned

Two more articles for today.

https://hubpages.com/health/Natural-Way … r-Eyesight 
            https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … ternal-God

Plus I edited three articles for Remedy Grove.

My next days off are next Thursday and Friday

I have published six articles over the past three days.

Saturday
                https://hubpages.com/health/Brew-Your-Own-Herbal-Teas
                https://hubpages.com/health/The-Awesome … s-of-Honey

Sunday
                https://hubpages.com/health/Collecting- … cinal-Uses
                https://hubpages.com/health/Home-Remedi … ritis-Pain

Monday
                https://hubpages.com/health/The-Health- … of-Peanuts
                https://hubpages.com/health/Natural-Way … d-Sleeping

Out of the home remedy ones above, the Sleeping one was the only one to not get featured.  I looked for any Spammy Elements and found some typos that I overlooked.  Waiting to see if it gets featured.

For tomorrow, I plan to get two Bible Study articles published.

After 11 days of writing, I have 20 published articles plus one with a major edit.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

That's an interesting way to approach this and a good motivational tool. I've been doing everything in my power to try to get motivated to write here more.

I have a ton of ideas planned out but putting everything into several great hubs has felt daunting.

Any suggestions on what's the best way to get motivated to write more.

I usually try for 500 words a day average.  3500 a week.  One thing is not to get frustrated if I don't make that goal. And it is also a good idea to take a vacation from it once in a while.  Another thing is not having too many writing projects at a time. I try to have no more than 3.  With my weekly 3500 I usually break it down 1500 words for one and 1000 words each for the other 2.  Sometimes I might stick with one if it is progressing fast

Eventually I will get up to 1000 words a day and maybe 2000.  I sometimes do 2000 but it is short term like when completing this challenge

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Welcome back!   However things have changed a bit here.

At 500 words a day, in 30 days you'll have written 15,000 words.

That's 15 Hubs, not 100.   Hubs these days need to be over 800 words, and you should be aiming for 1,500 words as the "sweet spot".   You need at least one (legal) image, and preferably more.

I'd suggest you read two of my Hubs, which you'll find on the slider on my profile.  One is about the Basic Rules, which summarises all the rules as they currently stand - you'll find they're a bit different to when you were here last.  The other is How to Optimize Your Hubs, which will give you an idea of the standards required now.

Example a 1500 word hub might be considered several hubs put together. My first hub was over 2000 words and counted that as 4 hubs because of the subtopics.  I am guessing it will actually be 25 stellar hubs within a 3 month period depending on how many days i get off work.

Will also look at your hubs

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

My concern would be that if the subjects within a Hub are SO different they can be counted as 3 or 4 different Hubs, then they certainly shouldn't be together in one Hub.

To be successful, a Hub needs to have a clear focus, otherwise the search engines can't work out what the Hub is about - and search engine traffic is what pays. 

To use your remedies Hub as an example, I'm not sure what people would be searching for, to find that Hub.  I'm not convinced anyone would be searching for "Old Traditional Kitchen Cures" - in fact I'm pretty sure of it, because if I try typing that into Google, it doesn't auto-complete, which means it's not a common search.   

I think most people would be looking for home remedies for a particular ailment they're suffering from right now.   And if people are looking for a home remedy for skin conditions, even if they find your Hub, they aren't likely to scroll all the way down to that section.

I will be workung on specific home remedies as well plus on medicinal plants.  And plan on some Bible related ones as well.  I did the 30 hubs challenge once. A lot of work

Thanks Marisa.  I made changes to the title.  I just got an email from HP and the hub is eligible to be moved to RemedyGrove.  I had to make a few changes to the images and add a bio.  Will see what happens.

When I mentioned that I write 500 words a day, I don't always write each day. I have makeup days.  I keep track of them with an excel spreadsheet.  For my long weekend I plan to write to cover until my next day off.  I usually don't write more than 2000 words in a day unless if I am almost done with a project

5. Marisa Wright profile image84

By the way, the 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge was run only once, and it was not an official challenge run by HubPages.

It was a Hubber who started it, it was a big failure (resulting in the publication of a lot of sub-standard Hubs) and it was never repeated.

The "30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge" was the official challenge run by HubPages, and even that is discouraged now.

6. Marisa Wright profile image84

Lois, I still think you should rethink your idea, if you're hoping to get the support of other Hubbers.

I'm betting the average Hubber has looked at the title of your thread and thought, "gosh, some loony is proposing to write 100 Hubs in 30 days, obviously they're an idiot and  have no idea how much work it is to write a Hub".   Then they ignored it.

Having read your post, I now understand you've got no intention of writing 100 Hubs in 30 days. You're counting one Hub as containing 3 or 4 Hubs.  So that means you're aiming for around 30 Hubs in 30 days, right? 

I think if you posted a thread with that title, you would get more interest. 30 Hubs in 30 Days isn't encouraged these days but at least it's achievable, and people won't think you're bonkers for trying. 

It really doesn't make sense to say that one Hub "counts as" several Hubs because it has sub-topics.  I'm pretty sure no other Hubber would see it that way. A Hub often has sub-topics, it's still just one Hub.

So far no one has tried to discourage me. But I am stubborn anyways.  In  the past my hubs were just one topic no subtopics. But were considerably shorter about 700 words or less.  The subtropics in my first hub could have been used as separate hubs back in the day.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

She isn't trying to discourage you. She is pointing out that the title has led to very few people checking in to encourage you.

Wasn't saying she was. Plus people would have guessed the word modifed that I was not in fact dong it in a month

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

I think you're expecting too much of people.  I took "modified" to mean only a very small tweak.  The only reason I read your thread was because I wanted to say "please don't do this, it's a really really bad idea" - so I certainly didn't read "modified" as meaning "actually I'm only going to write 30 Hubs and pretend they're 100", or "actually I'm going to write 100 Hubs but it might take me three or four months".

1. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This right here. I clicked for the same reasons but then noticed Marisa had already made the point clear.

7. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

I agree with everything Marisa has said.

8. Marisa Wright profile image84

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're feeling motivated and I wish you well in achieving your goal (which is really, if I understand it, to write 15,000 words in a month, which is 15 Hubs). 

The thing is, because you've been away, it makes sense to you that each sub-topic used to be a Hub - but for most Hubbers today, we've been writing long Hubs for years and we've forgotten how it used to be.  So that concept is alien.  I really suggest trying a new thread with your real goals in terms of real Hubs and see how you go.

That 15000 a month are normally what I strive for.  But I am planning on writing more like 2000 to 4000 on my days off.  I didn't really clarify.   Plus there are a few of my old hubs that I am planning to edit. I had unpublished them a few years ago.   My overall goal is to write 1500 to 2500 stellar hubs but that will take years. For me to reach that goal i have to have smaller objectives.

9. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

2000 would be really impressive.

10. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
    LoisRyan13903posted 6 years ago

Thank you.  A couple years ago, I took a voluntary layoff and dedicated myself to writing 2000 words a day, except for weekends.  I used the weekends as catch-up days in case I fell behind.  I am looking at retiring within the next 10 years and may focus on full-time writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)