Q&A To Be Retired

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
    Christy Kirwanposted 6 years ago

Please stop by the HubPages Blog to check out today's announcement and let me know in this thread if you have any questions.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I've gotten an AdSense click in a year from Q&A. Thanks for the advance notice, but I think a mass slaughter is imminent as for mine. big_smile

Update.

Well, I've already given three of them the ax. One visitor in 30 days just doesn't hack it. As for the others, they're not that much better. I don't see a reprieve for them either, but gonna let the subconscious mull things over for a day or two. More than likely, the whole lot will be gone by Friday.

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There have been some great debates and fascinations on Q&A over the years but these were the exception so overall I think this decision to gently retire it is the correct one.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

So far, you seem to have pretty much of a unanimous consensus here. Is this what HP expected or is staff kind of nonplussed? big_smile

The way this thread is going and if in everyone's best interest, it's beginning to look to me that you can accelerate the takedown timeline. Google would no doubt be thrilled.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see it go.  I did little with it over the years, and frankly some of the things I saw there were a real turnoff.  Good riddance.

5. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wondering, would I still be able to link back to the answers I contributed over the years, or should I retrieve them immediately? Will read the blog, thanks.

1. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I see now, converting the Q&A to forum posts. So will still be on the record. Fine with me.

6. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Christy Kirwan,

This is good and productive move by team HubPages.
      We appreciate that.

7. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So glad to see it gone. It always seemed like a waste of time to me. I'd rather spend my time participating in the forum (Where I can help others and get help from others), answering comments on my hubs, reading and commenting on other hubs, and writing and updating my hubs. I almost never participated in Q&A.

8. Jessie L Watson profile image66
      Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well shucks, I just got here a month ago. Although I never did find anything of particular relevance on the Q&A. Duly noted. Thanks!

9. TessSchlesinger profile image61
      TessSchlesingerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think that's great news. I didn't think it added anything to  Hubpages, and I think it actually negated some areas.

10. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's a great move. Lately, it's been bland and had very little to offer. Also, this may finally chase off a small group of individuals who barely write articles but use Q and A to whine and complain about how unfairly they've been treated by HP management due to their political beliefs.

2. Rock_nj profile image89
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

The Q&A is one of the fun and random things on this site, but it has been too heavily political at times, so all in all, I won't miss it.  I use the forums to find truly relevant information to my writing here.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Well, now... This thread is certainly going to be a free for all. big_smile

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

My countenance is as dark thunderous clouds. sad sad sad But I do understand. No sense in subsidizing via time something which refuses to bear fruit.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Well, dang. I never thought I'd see the day!

I have to admit I'm conflicted by this news. On one hand, this move is WAY overdue, as the Q&A section has become a cesspool of advertisements, almost-English gibberish, and selfies... but on the other hand, one of my favorite pastimes here is trolling the spammers and clueless numb-nuts who post such nonsense.

(shrugs) Sooooo.. good riddance, I guess.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

I was having vague thoughts about messing with Q&A one more time. Sort of a last resort, since nary a hub nor website article idea was coming to mind. However, me thinks HP probably just saved me what would have been wasted time and effort. Even FB would probably be more productive long term.

7. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 6 years ago

Good move

1. DrMark1961 profile image98
      DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  It should help the site look more professional.

8. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

Great move, I've only used it a few times. Most of the stuff on there is junk and felt very unprofessional.

There are far better ways to use those extra resources than over there.

I think an easier way to file copyright claims would be a good idea, I know how big of a problem it has gotten.

9. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

Many hubbers, especially new ones, have thought this was the place to ask any question they have about anything. 
    If it was intended to encourage others to write hubs, I think that it didn't work too well. I can remember writing a hub in response to one question, but that was years ago.
    May there could be a new forum topic on : "I would like to see someone write a hub about ....."

10. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Could Q&As be moved to relevant niche sites so that readers could benefit from the existing content and post new questions related to the content of the site? I know a new Q&A feature has been added to hubs, but it would be helpful if everyone could chip in and answer the question if they have knowledge and experience.

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Woooowww! That's major news. But it's time. Many good times in Q&A. Farewell to the coins, too.

Yeah, good times and coins here, too. I had one Q&A that made me money for years. Critter finally died though. When I checked Google to see what had killed it, I instantly knew that particular party was permanently over. No way I could combat what had since replaced it. Oh, well.

12. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Finally. This is good news.

13. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Hallelujah!  Finally.  I'm surprised HP took so long.

14. EricFarmer8x profile image95
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

I honestly forgot about the Q&A feature and never really used it much.

15. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 6 years ago

here nor there

16. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

Doesn't matter. But let Forum threads remain. Don't axe them as well.

17. incomeguru profile image97
    incomeguruposted 6 years ago

Good move from the HP team. Spend the extra resources on something productive.

18. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 6 years ago

Chriswillman90posted 13 hours ago

I think an easier way to file copyright claims would be a good idea, I know how big of a problem it has gotten.

HP management filing copyright claims on our behalf would be great!
    Could someone start a new thread on this?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There's already one in existence, here:

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … -our-dmcas

Also Sue, have you seen the new Expert Review feature?  You need to be aware of it.

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … rt-reviews

19. Coffeequeeen profile image83
    Coffeequeeenposted 6 years ago

Well I never really took much part in the Q & A section, so I won't miss it.

20. MomsTreasureChest profile image85
    MomsTreasureChestposted 6 years ago

Oh well, sorry to see it go...

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, deleted my remaining Q&A and called it a day. If Google still maintains opinions about our profile pages, I've probably done myself a favor.

22. Titia profile image92
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

I won't miss it at all. Don't even remember when I've been there.

23. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

A move which IMO is way overdue in terms of keeping Google sweet!

I could never ever see the point of it apart from being yet another way of generating traffic. It certainly added no authority or quality to the site

24. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I’m surprised it took so long to decide to get ride of the Q&A. A few months ago I actually went through all my Q&A questions and analyzed the results. The performance was so poor that I deleted all my questions. I felt there was no point leaving them around, especially since I wasn’t making any money from Q&A anyway.

As for Answers, it’s going to be interesting to see how all of this gets converted to forums. I have a bunch of posts that were selected as “best answer” and I wonder if the forum version will have some kind of highlighting to indicate best answers. (Nothing important though—just curious).

25. UnnamedHarald profile image95
    UnnamedHaraldposted 6 years ago

No problem. Rarely bothered with Q/A and it won't be missed. I check the forums every now and then. If I have a question I just go there. Seems smart to cut the effort and expense of Q/A.

26. paradigmsearch profile image60

I feel a meme coming on. Can't help it. Surprised I desisted this long. big_smile

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

No meme.

28. paradigmsearch profile image60
  29. profile image0
    S Mareeposted 6 years ago

Haven't been with HubPages long.  Didn't even know I could go back & remove things.

Joined Hub to learn, not blog.  Prefer thoughtful articles that make me think.  Then, if I can share meaningfully, I try to make my answers interesting, but not angst-producing.

Yes, the forum doesn't seem to fit the Hub mission.

30. Kathleen Cochran profile image76
    Kathleen Cochranposted 6 years ago

Thank a merciful God. After six years, I was in the process of leaving HP for good. This action will send the trolls who never produce any contributions to this writing - not venting - site scurrying somewhere else. Wise move HP!

31. tony55 profile image86
    tony55posted 6 years ago

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS ?

32. TeriSilver profile image94
    TeriSilverposted 6 years ago

Q & A?  Revenue-producing?  Who knew?

33. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Has it been 30 days yet? Even if it isn't, just pull the plug on Q&A and put it out of its misery already!

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
      Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I just dropped in there and completely agree. Please just let it die now.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It really is that bad. I'm nearly sure something could have been done to stop the moronic things from being published there.

There's been a plague of three word questions. 'What's my name?' "How are you?' 'What is Hubpages?'

So forth and so on. There's also been a plague of four word questions. The addition of a word didn't improve the depth much.

And then the questions which are not in English. Seems like years ago there was some sort of filter which wouldn't let a thing be published without some sort of standard. Well, that's sure gone.

34. Coffeequeeen profile image83
    Coffeequeeenposted 6 years ago

Lol Freddy, you do make me laugh.

35. jellygator profile image88
    jellygatorposted 6 years ago

I always thought it was not a worthwhile section, so I'm happy to see it go.

36. FatFreddysCat profile image93

This morning I noticed that you can still view "old" questions but cannot ask/add new ones, nor can you answer existing questions.

The Great Q&A Purge must be about to begin!! big_smile

100. Not bad.

2. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh darn...I was really looking forward to answering such compelling questions such as "Today is Monday, Tomorrow is?" or "What is Life?" or one of those posting about getting free cellphone service in India.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The last one I remember answering was a good example of how far the section had been allowed to fall. The question was, 'What is my dog's name?'

Did the person literally forget what they named their dog, and somehow believe that a random person on the internet would know, and remind them?

What possible purpose could someone have for posting that sort of thing? I'm honestly clueless.

As to referenced, probably agreed. big_smile

As to

37. paradigmsearch profile image60

Basically, HP has been a fumbling bunch of amateurs; just like me. To have survived this long; true grit.

38. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

I hope this means that old Q&A won't show up in our feed when we click "articles" anymore.

As you wish.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)