Forum Threads..Have they become Random, Crazy, Tedious ,Brilliant???

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Ok Im trying not to be mean ,judgemental or controlling but Hubpages dont you think its time to limit how many times a person can BEGIN a thread?

I know you would be fair and encourage discussion across all topics  ,but of late too many of the same or random threads seem to be gushing outta the floorboards...

We have several active forum participants so one thread 'credit' a week seems ok to me. Post as often or as little , but only one new thread per week per person smile

1. profile image0
      annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say that some may post lots, but that is a good idea when you are bored like me and need some good topics to crash in on.  lol

Honestly, I haven't noticed that the same person posts a lot.

Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Um, yea a few do , but its not so much the person thats the problem ,its the same topic on several diff threads...

for example 'quietnessandtrust' banged 3 threads out in 24hrs pretty much all on the same topic!...thats crazy

Its not the posting ,its random threads I guess just too much of the same (IMO)

1. profile image0
          annvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Prob cuz they wanna make their own thread about it instead of being in the other?  lol.

2. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Personally I would say no leave it the way it is.  If there is a thread I do not want to read I simply leave it alone.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Well I hope this is a good one EK..... Coz it's all ya got!! lol

I think Ill survive PD smile

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

It would be nice if hubbers checked the forum quickly for similar threads on the topic they want to discuss rather than posting a topic that has already been posted. I've been seeing a lot of repeats and it gets aggravating

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

and yeah it would be nice if hubbers could limit themselves to only one or two threads instead of starting tons at once

yep you said it better than me ,lol

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

New Hubbers especially seem to think there's some sort of benefit from being very active in the forums.

I think it has something to do with the "league table" of forum posters which didn't exist before and I wish they'd get rid of it again.

What was that Marissa?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Previously, the forums didn't show a list of forum posters on the right hand side of the forum page.  In those days, people only posted when they had something to say.  These days, people seem to post for the sake of posting.

1. TamCor profile image81
          TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read on here somewhere, awhile back, that posting on the forums helps keep your hubscore up...is this true, or were they misinformed?

I'm just thinking that that may be why some post so much! smile

1. Misha profile image62
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It does. But marginally. The main thing is the dynamics of your hubs traffic.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But, if you post too much your score goes down. We witnessed that here a couple of months ago...

2. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've seen thread after thread of people introducing themselves & the first bit advice for the newbies is to become active in the forums.  I don't understand the need to chastise new people for posting in the forums, there is a learning curve here, and everyone was new at one point smile

I ignore most of the stuff unless its a fun topic going nowhere.  I always use the search tab up on top if I have a question, generally the question has already been asked so I don't need to start a new thread.

I think its the random, I'm going to be in your face, posters who get annoying starting threads the same topic or general gibberish big_smile

7. SweetiePie profile image81

Another solution is to simply not go on the forum as much, or not look at threads that are annoying.  Sometimes I can go days without looking at a thread, others I am very interested in an issue and like to post.  Personally I am just not much of a control freak, so I really do not want to put any limitations on when and how people post.

I am not a control freak either  and I said twice it has nothing to do with the amount of posting but threads.
      Often too theres a good one ,that gets lost along the way too, but I usually give up looking for it.

I think you misunderstand me SP, but yep maybe it could be me ,just losing interest period.

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I was not even referring to you.  I was just sharing my thoughts on the issues of posting.

8. jdmaffiliate profile image60
    jdmaffiliateposted 14 years ago

I think you are right.  There should be some sort of maximum.  Im not one new thread a week is fair but a couple a week should in most cases be sufficient.

I am quite new to HubPages and trust me I am here a lot just want to make sure I am doing things right and very quickly I am learning who leads by example here.

Hey welcome to Hubpages jdmaffiliate, there is heaps here that you will love Im sure. At least have fun learning smile

9. SweetiePie profile image81

Well the topic is about threads and posting, so I was referring to the topic smile.  I just was sharing my take on the threads.  Usually I am not worried about missing certain threads because if there is an interesting one I participate, and if it is boring I stay away.

10. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Or if there were just the Forums to read threads and posts in instead of the All Forums on one page it would be easier to follow subjects you were more interested in.

Normally I end up in the Forums to find the threads I am looking for. Easier that way.

11. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Yes they are posted under Catergories ,but all end up on the same Index as Forum, just be nice if Religion all came under religion and Personals under Personals ...or something

12. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I see what you mean.

like going into the supermarket to buy bread and you come out with eggs lol

13. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 14 years ago

I agree with you that some limit should be set. However I think atleast 1 per say 12 hours would be more appropriate. Sometimes I have more than one questions to ask per week =P

Yea A question section would be great! and once a week was just a suggestion.

1. bigmikeh profile image69
        bigmikehposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a question section - it's under the Answers tab. You'll find all the same topics as in these forums, Adsense, HubScore and so on. And a fair selection of trolls....

14. Eaglekiwi profile image75

I think people should still post just not so many threads on the same topic ,just my opinion anyway.

15. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

Thanks Misha and UW, for clearing that up for me--I was a little confused by it! I wonder what is considered too much then, because some on here REALLY like to post, or start forum threads, lol...I haven't paid attention to their hubscores, though.

16. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Well, all the threads in which I participate tend to become brilliant lol

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can we expect anything less from a two-head? wink

1. darkside profile image64
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's because he's from Tasmania.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)