MONEY

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MISS.RUKESAposted 14 years ago

HAS THE ECONOMY CHANGED THE WAY YOU SPEND MONEY

1. Gin Delloway profile image34
      Gin Dellowayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I try to save more money on those things that earlier I would buy even without hesitation.

2. ledefensetech profile image67
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

I'd say so.  The national savings rate went from 0% to 7%.  I'd call that a change.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And THAT is absolutely not a bad thing--no matter where you stand politically, wink.

Good things will come out of this time in history...I really believe it won't be all doom and gloom.

1. ledefensetech profile image67
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, but the problem is we have a fiat money system.  That immediately creates a disincentive to save and rewards people who spend now.  The sad thing is that when we start to recover, we're going to get hit by hyperinflation.  That will wipe out our nascent recovery and set us back who knows how far.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nice.  I am gonna use that, "fiat money system" lol that good.

2. Hawkston profile image60
          Hawkstonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The sadder thing is that a majority of the US population does not know what a fiat money system is.  They will continue to save for the short term while they feel at risk instead of learning how to manage their finances.

Personally, outside of 1 month's income in checking and 6 months of income in an emergency fund, my family's money is 'saved' in various planned portfolios of various types.  We started saving and managing our own money four years ago.

Of course not, they don't teach economics in school.  If they did, the politicians would have to contend with an educated populace and they wouldn't be able to redistribute wealth.  You might be interesting in looking at the Lakota Bank.  100% reserve, gold and silver standard, not fiat. 

http://freelakotabank.com/

3. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Yes, most definitely

4. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

Not really...

A recession by definition is simply the re-alocation of funds so I stopped working for the companies that were suffering and began working for the companies that were succeeding.

Bam problem solved. smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that feeding big business and a furthering the hidden agenda (which we already are) to become slaves to the system?

No that happens naturally.  What we're doing now is rescuing failed companies and keeping the guys who got us into this mess in charge, so that they'll screw up again.  Only this time it won't be with their shareholder's money, it will be with the American taxpayers. 

Actually that's not true.  We don't have that money just sitting in a vault somewhere.  We're monetizing that debt, basically that means borrowing from the future to spend today.  What it means is that all prices will be higher in the future than they are today.  Looks like we're not in for a recovery after all.

2. BrianFanslau profile image60
        BrianFanslauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope. In a recession current businesses like the realestate market crumble and then others go looking for different work since there is now less demand for realestate. In a recession some of the smallest businesses have the best shot because they can grow. Granted if the smaller businesses fill the new niche markets that are now available because the larger businesses cannot employ as many people.

Look at the good will and coupon websites for instance they have boomed because everyone wants to save money.

Or my friend who was selling home made diapers now has more demand for her re usable washer friendly products because diapers are expensive and they fill our landfills with baby poo and plastics.

In every economic downslide there are always others who capitalize on the markets shift and make a living. It is the people unwilling and afraid of change that become comfortable in their jobs that do not wish to switch.

I don't see how a recession would be beneficial to big businesses directly since they are likely the ones profiting from the upside of the economy.

After the 1930s great depression look at all of the wealth that people made from truly meeting the needs of the people they served at that time. The same will be true in this recession

2. ledefensetech profile image67

That would be true were we in a recession, but we're not we're in a depression.  A depression is a total systemic breakdown.  Don't believe me?  Just wait until the banks go insolvent starting sometime this month.  It'll last over two years and I'm not sure there are going to be any banks at the end.

1. Hawkston profile image60
        Hawkstonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Last Friday, three more banks were taken over by the Feds and parceled out to other financial institutions.  I'm thinking that there's been a total of 73 banks and financial institutions that have failed in the last 18 months, but I prefer not to dwell too much on it.  There is a list online that will list the failures and who received the deposits of each institution if you search for it.

I agree that we are actually in a depression.  There's not a whole lot of long term jobs that can be created and the Baby Boomers will not be retiring in 2012.  Thus the number of jobs available will still be less than needed to support a thriving economy. 

What will turn this whole mess around is the creation and invention of a new industry, as Silicon Valley did with the personal computer, micro processor and chip.  The subsequent explosion of new business (computer accessories, software, operating systems, games, video, etc...) created new markets and new jobs that previously were unthought of. 

As to what that might be, I have no idea.

Oh it's going to get much worse.  When the Alt-A resets hit you can pretty much kiss all the banks goodbye.  All of them.  Oh yeah and those hundreds of billions in TARP money, that's gone too.  Wait until the inflation hits from that one.  Not only did we waste that money, everything is going to cost more too.

5. Jerry Joseph profile image61
    Jerry Josephposted 14 years ago

i would say yes

6. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

of course I am the poorest I have ever been....

7. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

For me and my family it is a yes.. Primarily the shopping and eating out has taken a back seat for the time being. Money saved is money earned has been the motto for a couple of months. I was about to be laid off so this kind of instilled a fear like nothing ever would.

8. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I spend less since the meltdown, much less. I do save more too. In the past, times when I would have picked something up without thinking now I think two or three times then don't pick it up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)