Paying for prison stay....please read!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (49 posts)
  1. AsherKade profile image57
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I was reading in my local newspaper how prisons(not county jails) were thinking of recouping costs of imploding prison populations by charging inmates for things like toilet paper, showers, laundry, and use of the gym, etc...

how the hell will this be implimented?? Do they think convicts actually have money? What will end up happening is that these ppl will not be able to shower or whatever and then get horrible diseases beyond the garden variety of Hep C and HIV and then there will be mass hysteria and chaos with disease and death...

good idea, real good idea....

what do ya think???

1. Davinagirl3 profile image59
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They won't expect the inmates to pay for it.  They will expect the inmates to get friends and family members to put money into their commissary accounts.  It wouldn't be the convicts that paid, it would be the family and friends that support them.  How fair is that?

2. AsherKade profile image57

I personally think this is a great topic...even more so than black tripods....sorry fiery...

sound off...should prisoners have to pay for their room and board???

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hell no, its cos of having to pay for shit that landed them in there in first damn place!

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

White prisoners deff shud

AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's racist....and given in TX that a majority of prisoners are minorities, it wouldn't be cost effective....

I don't want this forum to be a bunch of racist crap illiciting conflict...thanks man.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Naw man, we can crack on whitey all we want. That ain't racist, its payback.

you're ignorant...don't get in law enforcement man....fiery....you agree?

2. someonewhoknows profile image74
            someonewhoknowsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you know if your paying back to the right person ?Do you ask them if their relatives owned slaves?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Don't matter.  Whitey is always fair game my brotha.

3. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Here in PA some inmates have work release and most of there money goes to the jail. They are charged for there stay there.

1. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what they need to do for all states....

2. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what they need to do for all states....

3. AsherKade profile image57

cool...we have a work program in TX, but it doesn't do much for recouping loss...this would be a huge change for sure if convicts were forced to pay!

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes they are here. I think the jail gets like 50% of there pay. If anyone gets in trouble in PA, it costs a lot of money. Someone I know got there first DWI and its costing them close to 5,000. They charge people to be on probation too. Inmates also have to do a lot of litter pick up. lol

4. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's not much separating that from slave labor. There's lots of ways that system can be abused.

4. AsherKade profile image57

parole doesn't charge but 18 bucks a month for supervision!

wow that's cheep.

5. AsherKade profile image57

total joke hugh? I've heard it's way more in other states...

Oh yea I know its way more here...

6. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I read an article a year or so ago and I'll never forget it. I was so disgusted I posted it on facebook (I rarely post stuff on facebook). The story was about a local jail that was contemplating increasing (albeit very slightly increasing) the price of snacks and other treats from the commissary. The prices were already much lower than what you or I would pay in a convenience store and the jail thought an increase would help out their budget greatly. Of course the inmates were totally outraged, saying that they'd have to spend an extra dollar or two a week on their favorite treats. That was enough to make you sick!!! They didn't even need the junk food anyways, they were still getting 3 round meals a day. I'm not sure what ever happened with this, but I hope that the jail did increase prices.

At the end of the day, I would much rather charge reasonable, additional fees to inmates then charge hardworking, law abiding citizens additional taxes! Who's with me? big_smile

OH, and I think what kmackey said in the post above this is awesome. I would like to hear of more programs that require former inmates to pay the jail system back, even if it's just a little bit - it's something! I'm sure this will help lower repeat offenders; they have no idea otherwise what cost they are to the courts and penal systems.

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I think the prisoners absolutely SHOULD pay for basic stuff. They all have jobs -- whether inside prison or on work release. After all, I didn't break the law and yet I get gutted with taxes year upon year that pays for their room and board.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

I think why they are in prison is just as important as the fact that they are in prison.  Let's face it, our legal system sucks.  Look at all the people they've let free through the Innocence Project:  http://www.innocenceproject.org/

How would you like to have been wrongly accused of a crime and not only locked up but expected to pay for the mistakes of the judicial system?

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely correct that that would suck. But I don't know that paying for stuff while in there would suck any more than, well, just being in there. Innocent folks in prison are absolutely the minority -- although I do acknowledge that they exist. And while I feel bad for them, I feel worse that I have to pay for a murderer's room and board.

The pure absolute hell of it is that you can't, even with DNA evidence, be 100% sure that someone committed a crime.  You can bet your soul I'd have my lawyer attack the lab procedures of any supposed DNA evidence recovered at a scene that implicated me. 

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=9780 … ge=excerpt

No matter what the law says people still discriminate when they pass judgment on people.  White, black, Hispanic, man, woman whatever, people will usually see what they want to see.  How else can you explain the numbers of innocents being released after decades of incarceration.  The Public Defender's office is obviously no help.  I'd have a real problem not only being incarcerated but forced to pay for my room and board.  In this case society put me away for reasons of their own, society can pay for me.

Sure that means paying for the scumbags too, but unless we do that, soon enough we'll have prisons looking like those you find in Turkey or even worse, some Third World hellhole.

If you're not a Public Defender, you sure sound like one. smile And I can explain the numbers of people being released after decades of imprisonment. They didn't have the DNA technology back then. Pretty darn clear and simple to me.

And are you saying coddle a murderer just in case he or she is innocent and then let them free to do it again?

Public defenders are useless.  I'm not one, but I am leery of state power.  Look at the nonsense we lock people up for.  The only thing the state should lock people up for is for violence against another person that is not self defense and theft or destruction of property.  By limiting themselves to those two areas, we'd see very few innocents going to jail.

I've worked in the government, I've seen how incompetent many of their employees can be.  I'd not want to be in their tender care at all.

1. profile image0
                Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LDT-

lol...  Seem like you are getting a bit of the 'elitist' crap thrown at you that you usually reserve for liberals.  How's it feel? wink  It's niiiiiiice, huh? haha

Um, actually, privately paid attorneys can suck as much as public defenders, I can tell you this from, uh, 2nd person experience (close to the source).  It just depends on, as they say in the restaurant business, who is doing the cooking--not the restaurant, per se.  If you know what I mean?

People of modest means (and by this I mean most of the middle class) are SOL if they ever get into some serious trouble.  You won't be able to afford the actual help you need.

And you are absolutely right about the innocence of some 'perpetrators.'

AsherKade--  In AZ, prison/jail inmates pay for their room and board all the time.  MOST of them (in for innocuous crimes such as simple DWI, breaking probation, or possession of pot) have work release.  In fact, the whole prison and fine thing is a big way they make money around here.

2. AsherKade profile image57

I most certainly agree....with modern technology,  innocence is a a bi-gone idea....someone needs a refresher course or something....

8. someonewhoknows profile image74
    someonewhoknowsposted 14 years ago

It's one thing to be charged for room and board,if your in prison and another to be paid slave wages for your work and have private companies make a profit from your labor like they did in Germany during world war two.I say they should have to at least learn how to grow some of their own food,like fruits and vegatables,it will keep them busy and help cut prison costs to the taxpayers.From what I understand there have been privately owned prisons in the past. 

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … amp;aqi=g1

Good freaking Lord! What next? Should we pay their college education? How about a new BMW? They broke the law. Why the hell am I paying for, basically, their lives?

I fuckin agree!

9. AsherKade profile image57

I know the family would pay..and I don't agree. However, I am never home so I don't have cable...and those bastards have cable! They expect nice meals, they expect gyms,when I have to pay for mine, and they expect quality education...I am still payng 30K for mine...so I think those things should be slashed, humanity and decency should apply, and frivolous things and rich convicts like Madoff need to pay for things!

10. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Pam and I have been writing to prison pen pals in varius states for approximately 13 years now.  According to our correspondents, every state is different.  I will mention a few specifics about the state of Georgia.

In Georgia--how this is rationalized I have no idea--the State does not allow any inmate to earn so much as a penny.  They do have task assignments but do not get paid for their work.  A similar inmate in California might only earn $21 buck a month, but the Georgia inmate earns. $0.00.

Additionally, in Georgia the inmates are now actually required to pay for medical care in many instances.  This is a fairly recent development, but recent or not, it does beg the question: Huh?  Let's see, no pay divided by charge for sick call equals...oh.  Yeah.  Less or no care UNLESS you have an outside donor.

Wow, Ghost. Had no idea. But still, I wouldn't want to hold healthcare back from anyone, but let them wipe their butts with leaves for all I care! Sew their own clothes, grow their own food, whatever. I'm sick of paying for them. A long time ago, I worked for a new government program that worked hand in hand with the State's Attorney's Office. It was called the Career Criminal Division. We dealt every day with repeat offenders, and after seeing them in court day after day, I just got really ticked off. So I have a very good understanding of these guys and would prefer not to be paying for their toothpaste, TYVM.

11. AsherKade profile image57

I'm nt asking for inhumane tratment...but they shouldn't have the royal teatment....food shelter, and THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Unless you're the one caught in Kafka's clutches.

who'a KaFka?

13. AsherKade profile image57

ledefensetech seems to have  lot of info that we don't know...challenge him to  share it....

14. ledefensetech profile image68

Kafka was an early modern writer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka

He wrote a book called The Trial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trial

It was published in 1925, but was eerily prescient when it came to things like trials and how they were coming to be administered by bureaucracy, not by the rule of law or by juries as they had been done in the past.  Kafkaesque is a word coined to describe a bureaucracy gone out of control.  Something quite like we have today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafkaesque

Is that enough sharing, or would you like more?

15. AsherKade profile image57

be A COP AND LEARN THE LIFE ON THE STREETS...DON'T JOIN THE FORUM UNLESS YOU TRULLY UNDERSTAND ON ONE LEVEL OR ANOTHER...SORRY...BOOK SMARTS DPN'T GET YA ANYWHERE...

I've met so many corrupt cops it isn't even funny.  I job doesn't make a person righteous, their actions do.  You might consider it a good thing that laws keep getting passed, eroding our natural rights, but it'll cause blowback because people really don't like being told what to do.  But since you use caps and obviously don't read much, I'm sure you don't understand such a simple concept.

THe caps was an accident. the cops being corrupt is a minimalistic issue that gets too much media attention and corrodes public attention. i understand where you are coming from, but please understand that those aren't my ideals.

16. ledefensetech profile image68

Hey Lita, I really don't care.  I figure I'll get hit from the extremes of the Left and Right.  It's OK, I knew that going in.  It's not my fault they can't understand the difference.  They'll either educate themselves or they won't.

@Asher.  Minimalist?  Erode public attention?  Ever hear about the Stanford and Milgram experiments?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/17547

Interesting stuff.  It would seem the work of law enforcement or putting one group on charge of another slowly, or quickly depending on the personality, leads people to become brutal and vicious to those who don't have power.  Hmmm.  Sounds to me like a cop that's been on the force for too long.  So you'll excuse me if I don't fall down and worship the ground cops walk on.  They do a dangerous job, sure, but it's a fine line they walk.  One small step and they're just as bad as the criminals they chance and unlike a criminal, they have the entire power of the State behind them.

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Charging prisoners for room and board is fundamentally wrong on my books, they did not choose to stay there. Even assuming they were wrong to start with (which is really not the case in the majority of cases), two wrongs never make right...

18. AsherKade profile image57

never asked you to worship cops....you are blowing this out of porportion....     
    I am just saying that ppl need to take tougher initiatives againt crime and prison sentences....don't read anymore into that....

And I'm saying that with weaknesses in the court system we'll be sending more innocent people to jail.  If you're that concerned with people protecting themselves from criminals, you'd let them arm themselves and protect their property a la the Castle Doctrine.  Then you'd see crime take a nosedive and you wouldn't have the problems inherent in a nascent police state.

I never ever said anything about the right to bear arms...don't add words to my mouth....

Sigh.  You want to crack down on crime, but I want to make sure they ones we are sending to jail are really criminals.  Would you consider that accurate?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)