Secret Camera

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Is it right to leave a secret camera filming a Baby Sitter, to monitor if a child is being looked after properly?

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is to much abuse and to many adults molesting, raping and beating them. As a parent I certainly would. smile

2. misty_seltz profile image61
      misty_seltzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is never wrong to take steps to ensure your child's safety. There are some sick and twisted people out there and you need to know what is going on when you aren't home!!! Parent need to take every step they can to keep their kids safe!

1. misty_seltz profile image61
        misty_seltzposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. katacham profile image60
    katachamposted 14 years ago

Hmm...thats quite an interesting question, i think. One can look at this from two angles, the first being that since you are paying for the babysitter and are therefore enlisting his/her trust, a secret camera should not be needed. However, one could also argue that as an employer, you have a right to find out whether your employee is doing an acceptable job. I would personally go with the camera if you're worried, simply because this is a child we're talking about, not a pile of timber or something. However, you run the risk of getting found out - then you could lose a good babysitter. Hope this helps. big_smile

3. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

If what you're really concerned about is keeping your child safe, and not just catching a bad babysitter, why not just tell 'em upfront you have hidden cameras in the house, whether or not it's true?  If the babysitter doesn't want you watching, he or she won't take the job.  If s/he doesn't mind, you've got naught to worry about.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is exactly what I was going to write.  You read my mind.  Also, if you are not too sure about the babysitter, don't entrust your child with them.  I would only leave my child with my mom. I am very paranoid, though.

1. goodfriendiam profile image59
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good idea, good thinking. all good minds think alike...lol smile

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am joining this choir. smile

That said, we did have a babysitter till like a few month ago, and she was just a part of the family. She had to move back to her country, and this was like parting with a sister. We still are friends, and talk on a webcam a lot. We did not feel any need to install a camera, and it really would have been an offense to her.

Now, that said, we screened like a total of 50 candidates, and tried two before we finally hired her. smile

1. Gennifer profile image53
            Genniferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree with all these responses. I think that for parents it's important and necessary to know that their child is looked after in a proper way, and all the ways are good to be sure that you've found a good baby sitter (but you certainly have to tell your baby sitter about cameras - it would be fair).

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I agree that there's no reason to keep it a secret.  I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent doing everything she can to assure her child's safety.  I'd tell a babysitter, "Even if I can't be here I do want to be able to see how things are going.  The camera can also protect you.  If anything should go wrong you won't have to worry about being unfairly accused of anything."

All it takes is one babysitter who loses patience with a crying baby and feels free to shake him (as in the Mathew Eappen case a little over a decade ago), and a child can end up in a coma or dead.   A sensible babysitter would more than understand.  (There are cameras in all kinds of workplaces.  I don't see why a babysitting situation should be any different.)

5. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

if you are not comfortable with a baby sitter than do not leave your child at all in their custody and therefore filming will not be necessary...find someone you trust so you do not have to worry about it

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The trouble with trusting trust is that most people believe they're leaving their children with someone they trust - until that person proves themselves not trustworthy.  It's a rare parent who would leave their child with someone they didn't trust, and yet how many horror stories keep happening anyway?

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i understand but there is a difference between thinking you trust someone and feeling a trust for someone.  If we all acted on our feeling of trust then we have our answer on a babysitter

6. ledefensetech profile image70
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Yes, leaving several cameras is a good idea.  Living room, kitchen, kids room pointing out into the hallway are the biggies.  Also if you notice things missing, you may want to look into diversion safes or something like that.  I'd not broadcast the fact that you have the cameras, that way you can see how your babysitter handles responsibility "naturally".

7. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Hell yes!!!!!
    I mean a babysitter would not be doing anything personal to invade their privacy anyway, so I would certainly want to see, if a child was involved. Hidden cameras have revealed some alarming footage in the past.

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Two of my daughters have worked in the childcare field (academic, private and daycare settings) forever, and both are planning on becoming teachers. They have quit many, many daycare centers after seeing some pretty troubling stuff go on and not getting any response from the management.

That said, even if I knew my babysitter and unless they were my mother, grandmother or sister, I would absolutely be filming every single second that babysitter was alone with my child. Matter of fact, good thing my babies are grown because I would probably have a live webcam in every room in the house so I could look in on them whenever I wanted to (as many daycare centers now do).

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When my daughter was little she wanted to go school really badly and wasn't old enough.  I went around to daycare/preschool places to see if any would be right to let her "go to school" a couple of days a week.  I wasn't too thrilled with some of them.  In one place that "talked up a good story" I was in the hall, just outside the room where toddlers napped.  The young worker in that room was not being the least bit nice to those one- and two-year-olds who wouldn't conveniently "just lay down".  They were essentially being verbally mistreated.  That's easy to get away with when toddlers can't talk.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)