Why Wont HubPages BAN This Girl?!?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/profile/snehamadhuri

This girl Snehamadhuri has openly admitted to stealing her content from other people:- http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/18702

Has a hub score of 18 because of this.

Has had 8 of her hubs tagged by me with a comment for each saying 'copied content'.

Has also had her hubs tagged by at least 2 other people (according to another thread).

And yet hubpages are apparently condoning her actions? I appreciate that the staff may be busy, and that there are many things involved in running a large bespoke website, but it is essential to the credibility of this website that people like this are taken down immediately.

Before you know it she would have made her first adsense dollars and will be inviting 30 of her mates.

Its in the interest of HubPages to banish this stupid little girl immediately, I take my writing very seriously and will not associate myself and my name with scumbags like this.

I do not want to come across as emo, and I am not creating drama, but I would probably leave here if this stuff isn't stamped out immediately.

I know that the staff have busy jobs, this is not a dig at them, but the inevitable response will be "why didn't you email us instead"..... but tagging hubs 3 days ago IS contacting hubpages.

This type of behaviour by workshy cheats makes me feel sick.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

All gone...

1. wesleycox profile image70
      wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, she's gone.  Thankfully, I think hubpages is doing a pretty decent job of getting rid of these people.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that they do generaly do a good job, but they have to. Trust me I have seen it happen before, they find a way to make a couple of dollars and suddenly everybody on their email contacts, in their communities and at their place of work are doing the same. It can ruin websites.

In fact it brought down my own online business, I was taking $2000 a month in profit from a cashback site I established; but there was a loophole/cheat that I didn't understand and within a month I was making more like $200 a month thanks to Indian and Chinese scammers (not a slur on all Indians or Chinese people) and my loyal forum community of decent people had fled to sites which could battle the problem (they lost out also). By the time I could adopt a system to tackle the scumbags, I had lost almost all of my 3500 active users to newer and fresher competition.

1. wesleycox profile image70
          wesleycoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is terrible and I am sorry to hear such news.  I really hope that there will be a system someday to prevent this in the future. 

Here is an idea, copyscape scans the entire internet for duplicate content, if hubpages did the same thing and found duplicate content before a hub was published, they could hold publication until verification was made and immediately remove the content in question and ban the poster. 

I too, spend plenty of time working on a piece for several reasons.  Sometimes writing something takes me one hour (if it is a story of me) to three hours (if I have to research).  Heck I am currently working on something and have been for three days so far.  I have been procrastinating though.

1. profile image0

Hackers and scammers will always find a way to exploit technology, I put it down as a learning curve... I have other very exciting online business projects in the early stages, and I will be more careful to ensure sustainability. I wrote it off pretty quickly as something which could be a "blessing in disguise". As a 24 year old fresh out of uni, I have time on my side!

2. darkside profile image66
            darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are three issues: duplicate content, copyright infringement and plagiarism.

They're not always the same thing.

HubPages does scan for duplicate. And has restrictions on it (people can't have any outbound links on a hub with duplicate content). But copyright infringement and plagiarism (which can also be separate issues) needs to be reported by the copyright holder.

2. profile image0

Wow that was quick, they were still there when I started typing the thread.

Thank you to whoever deleted them, apologies for the drama, I just feel very very strongly about the subject of plagiarism (as do many on here I am sure).

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well done, I was on that flag train also.

It is possible (and actually, I hope that) it takes more than one flag from one user to actually cause a manual review.

In this case it was obvious that the hubs should be pulled..( I did make sure to copy one of the hubs to my google notebook for reading later..it was prob from ehow originally) but sometimes youll find that your flagged for having a topic that some stick up the ass doesnt like..so I hope it takes a good amount of hubber feedback to cause anything as drastic as a review followed by having content pulled

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I agree with you, I can't stand people who try to justify stealing anothers work.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Reporting Hub violations via the flagging system really does work, unfortunately site users tend to forget that only about a half dozen people are the staff at HubPages so things do not happen instantaneously.

By posting threads ranting and raving in the forums when there's not an immediate response, users wind up encouraging and reinforcing the poor manners and rude behavior of the forums and that's only making the staff's jobs harder too.

1. profile image0

I didn't forget that hubpages has 6/7 staff, I acknowledged that they were probably busy and thanked them for their action. But 3 days is a long time to have a known cheat floating about regardless. I understand that things can always be done immediately, but I feel that 3 days is perfectly patient enough. Contrary to ranting and raving, I wanted to draw attention back to the self confessed cheat and this duly worked as her hubs were removed within a few minutes.

As for poor manners and rude behaviour.... if asked to write honestly about my personal opinions about plagiarises and cheats; it would have been at least 10 times ruder! Apologies if my thread offended you relache, but I have seen much more disturbing and aggressive posts in the religion forum (almost daily) in which I do not participate.

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We ban people when we receive DMCA complaints about their hubs, or when they violate our rules.  We don't ban people just because it appears likely that they have violated someone's copyright.  It's impossible for us to know if someone has obtained permission to copy something, or if they were in fact the original author and they've just published it in multiple places.  Sure, sometimes it's pretty clear what is going on, but we're going to wait for the DMCA complaints to come in never the less.

We also try and remove the reward for chronic duplicators by reducing their scores (making it unlikely that they will get significant traffic) and by preventing them from promoting other sites (which is often why people steal content).

1. profile image0

Thank you for your clarification paul. I guess that people flagged her hubs and didnt link back to the incriminating thread (me included). Apologies for kicking up a fuss, I guess next time it is wiser to simply email hubpages with a link to comments that confirm guilt of copyright infringements. Would you remove in those circumstances?

2. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

being relatively new here and learning as i go, does this also mean that scores can be raised to drive traffic to certain sites?

1. AsherKade profile image58
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't mean I was promoting MY sites...I am helping others get info on sensitive issues like sexual dysfunction and rape and linking them to well known sites that offer help....

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

there is a certain low level in a hubscore that will automatically disable any outbound links (i think its in the 60's) but, no, there isnt an opposite that with a 100 score you will get more traffic magically to your links.

BUT, there almost is...cuz when you have a high score and your featured on the front page of hubs for your topic, you will get more traffic to your hub which in turn may leave through a link...or if your high placed in hot hubs...plus all those little additions, hot,best,latest are additional links to your hub which from a SEO standpoint is a slight benefit

2. blue dog profile image60
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks, hp, the numbers answered the question for me.

6. F A Williams profile image59
    F A Williamsposted 14 years ago

Wow, I just found out about this girl yesterday.  Along with other Hubbers, I flagged her content and included links to the source of her plagiarized articles.  I’m happy (and impressed) that quick action was taken.

I’m rather new to HubPages (although I signed up for an account months ago, I just started writing a few weeks ago), and have enjoyed the experience so far.  If HubPages truly has a staff of only 6 or 7, I think I’m even more impressed.  Some sites take a lot longer to remove plagiarists.

Way to go HP staff!

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Finding duplicate content and linking to it doesnt prove that the content that is duplicated isnt being used by permission or is not the same writer using another name.

Even when its on a site like ehow, msnbc slate etc. where most likely the writer would not be reposting on hubs.

8. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

The thing to do would be to contact someone from the site that you think it was copied from, and send them a link to our DMCA page.  At that point it's up to them.

http://hubpages.com/help/copyright_infringement

The reality for people copying content is, they may make pennies here and there, but they are unlikely to ever achieve significant traffic or earnings.

9. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I often put many links in my hubs....and that gets a duplicate reading or too many promotional linkage...anyway to put links in your hubs to help ppl with additional info without that happening?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)