Long-term merit of hubs or latest trends? What is more important?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

If you are here to make money with HubPages what is more important to you?

1. My hubs should have long term merit, so they keep attracting visitors.
    2. I play the latest trends.
    3. Something else.

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to go 50/50 Haunty.

I write some which should hopefully keep on attracting audience but some I write just cos its a trend and I know the topic normally gets a lot of views anyway... smile

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are very balanced. Last time I asked criticism or appreciation and you said half and half. smile

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I play all of the above.  Keep it diverse.  Other like to play the niche card.  I like to play sub niche and expand my horizons. wink 

One goes up one goes down sometimes they are all up. big_smile Then again... sometimes they are all down.

2. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 14 years ago

I haven't written many, but now when I write a hub the only thing on my mind is long term.

I don't want hubs that last a few weeks than die, I need hubs that practically never go bad.

Sure I try to write as often as possible and update all my hubs to keep them current, however, I don't have much time on my hands to sit around and write.

if there ever comes a week or month where I have no time, I would hate to earn nothing because I focused on hot trends.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Do both. You need to have short- and long-term cashflow. It's folly to lose out on fast money. Quite frankly, what you think is for the long-term online, might not be.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I think it depends. I tend to aim for long-term stuff, but once made $25 in one weekend (really rare occurrence - never happened again) over a short lived topic. It had to do with finance, so I knew that by writing the hub I'd earn short term (it had been featured on a major news network) and possibly earn in the future. I barely earn from it anymore, but it was certainly worth the $35 or so I made from it for 30 minutes spent writing it.

It was so cool, people were somehow finding my hub by searching for dateline nbc! lol (Has since moved down in ranks)

But, you definitely can clean up nicely on some topics. Cash for clunkers probably would've been lucrative.

1. buckey777 profile image75
      buckey777posted 14 years ago

I think the best way to go is a 80% long term and a 20% short term. In the long run of things a short term hub will affect your overall hubscore. They might give a nice boost if the subject is important but will fade out and visits will be less then 10 a week in most cases after the trend/fad is over. Using this method of 80/20 if 20% of your hubs are short term it will make less of a harsh impact on your overall score. However take advantage of the popularity of a short term hub to build long term readership. At the bottom of your hub post a link to other hubs you wrote that might prove interesting to the reader. However I wouldn't delete a hub that is short term for instance, take for example the Beanie Baby fab that took place in the 90's and early 2000's. It died down to the point you didn't think of it but McDonalds released a new series of collectible Beanie Babies and sparked new interest. A key is to make sure even in short term it has merit to be a lasting short term for better sucess.

-Thomas M.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have a hub about the Olympic Torch Relay that I plan to change before every Olympics. That way, the basics stay the same and earn traffic and the new stuff is topical.

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great idea. I'm a big fan of these.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years ago

My practices incorporate #1 and #3.

4. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Standard blogging advice is to aim for evergreen.

Chasing trends is usually not worth the effort and heavily competitive

5. jiberish profile image78
      jiberishposted 14 years ago

All three. Current, Long Term, and Personal.

6. E. A. Wright profile image73
      E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

I'm trying for a mix, but it's hard to predict how a hub will be perceived. Most of mine have been attempts to attract long term traffic. Not all seem to be working.

7. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I don't know what the exact ratio is but I write mostly for the long term.  I have a couple hubs that were written for either a trend or seasonal event.  The trendy hub earned me the most money so far but who knows when that will end and it will end. But it doesn't really matter as long as I keep writing and adding to my portfolio here.

8. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

useful topic i learned a lot with this...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)