Help with lost hub

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I wonder if any of the SEO experts could help me out with a query. I wrote a hub a while ago:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhone-Cases

And it has been getting pretty good search engine traffic until a few days ago when it seems to just disappear off the google rankings:
    http://hubpages.com/u/262991_f520.jpg

As you can see, it was fine then all of a sudden - gone. Almost no traffic. When I do a search for  "Five Best iPhone Cases" - without the quotation marks, it doesn't even show up, but another one of my hubs, Five Best iPhone Bluetooth headsets does:

http://hubpages.com/u/262992_f520.jpg

Any ideas why this would happen?

2. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 16 years ago

It´s really quite strange roll, I´ve gone through google with the first paragraph from your Cases hub and it shows this link to hot hubs and it happens to have your Bluetooth headsets hub one the top, very strange if you ask me roll. Do you change anything to those hubs recently?

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

No I haven't changed anything. And Yes, I can find it vicariously through links from tags and other hubs, but not the hub itself.

"Really quite strange" about describes it big_smile

4. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 16 years ago

Well roll, I guess google doesn´t like you anymore tongue big_smile.

ps - and of course it is not just google, yahoo and all the other search engines start to dislike you as well lol.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL - I see that. Google stopped first, then the others followed suit.

Anyone have any ideas?

6. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Sorry Mark - google is beyond me - why did it take 2 months to find my 5 light laptops hub??? BTW you have accidently published the text of this questions as a hub called "cases"  -it came thru on my fanmail!

7. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

Mark, I've had the same thing happen recently with a few of my hubs. They were getting, what I consider for the subject, decent traffic and in the last week or so they've dropped off to nothing. I'm wondering if Google is playing around with their algorithm again, and that's why. I'm going to wait it out, and if it continues maybe do a bit more promotion to see if I can get it ranked again. That's all I can think of doing.

8. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Ah, now I understand! I saw the new hub before the forum post and hadn't a clue what to take from it. Still not quite clear why you published it as a hub though?

1. Lissie profile image76
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he meant to paraglider  -I think he will wake up soon - its 3am in the morning in Europe and then he will realise whats happened!!

9. Mark Knowles profile image58

He has realised what's happened LOL

I published the cases hub to add the photos here on the forum - I was having some technical difficulties with the hosting service that I use for all my other sites at the same time I wanted to ask this question and add some photos. So I put them in the cases hub.

Sorry to everyone about that, but I could see no  other way of quickly hosting these pics big_smile

Hovalis - the same time frame as this one ?

1. profile image0
      Hovalisposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Roughly. The drop started during the week after  9th March, and had a very slight rise and then fell again around the 20th. Basically traffic has been crawling since then. This is on the hub which was, before that, bringing in the most traffic for me. At least from Google.

The other hub I was most concerned about had a similar drop at the same time, but its traffic was always less predictable because of the subject matter.

Edited to add: And the third hub, which had lower but constant traffic, dropped at the same time. With the same pattern you see in your stats.

I noticed the drop in traffic at the time and wondered what had happened, but decided to ride it out for a month and see if it improved.

2. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

All is revealed. No worries, I was just curious!

10. Mark Knowles profile image58

That is interesting. I do see differing traffic patterns for different hubs at different times - But usually when they are something seasonal like a turkey gravy recipe smile  - no one is looking for a turkey gravy in February LOL

But this is different - I cannot find the hub by using the title - another hub comes up in the results and I have been back through quite a lot of pages.

What was the subject of your hub that shows the same pattern?

11. profile image0

Okay, the two with the same pattern are these ones. I wasn't going to post the links because I didn't want to be seen as overly promotional. I must be in a paranoid mood today.

They are both historical subjects: World War 1 to be precise.

World War 1: The Sinking of Lusitania
    http://hubpages.com/hub/World-War-1-The … -Lusitania

This was on page 2 of google now, nowhere to be seen.

and

HMS Dreadnought: The Ship That Sparked an Arms Race
    http://hubpages.com/hub/HMS-Dreadnought … -Arms-Race

This was listed page 1, and now only the Digg link shows.

I thought the Lusitania hub was going to break 1000 views, and be my first to do so within the last couple of weeks, instead traffic plummeted to nothing. .

12. Mark Knowles profile image58

Yes I see -

Exactly the same problem as I am having with mine.

I can find vicarious links to tags, your profile and tophubs, but not the hub itselff.

Hopefully a team member will be along some when soon - if not I will start another thread in the "Report a problem" forum and include your hubs too.

13. profile image0

Thanks, Mark.

I looked up the exact title to both of those hubs, by the way, with quotation marks to see if they'd just been bumped down or something, and in both cases only backlinks and the hot hubs listings, and the author listings are showing.

I don't know how Google works, but I have heard of this happening before but usually it is after a page has just been published. It's usually called something like "the google dance" and has something to do with the page being listed on all 10 servers around the world. But those particular hubs have been around for a couple of months now, way past when this type of thing usually happens.

14. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well, I have heard of that too, but as you say, these have been published for a while, then all of a sudden disappearing yet leaving all the backlinks. Weird.

I have just been going through my hubs and have found another one like this one.

15. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Hello Mark,

I have had the same happen with one of my producing websites. I fixed it by removing all, not some, but all duplicate content.

I found yours in position 709 which coincidentally is the last page for the search result. The fact it is last page last position would indicate a penalty of some sort and I would guess a duplicate content penalty.

A quick check on my duplicate content checker reveals the duplicate content was flagged in the description of each product, particularly "Apple iPhone Aircraft Aluminum Metal Case - Bundled with Full Frontal Touch Screen Protector Shield - Available in 3 Color Choices, BLACK+PROTECTOR ..."

Therefore it is my guess you got the 700 penalty for that and was relegated to the end of the field. Happens all the time, even a few long tail keywords in your hub was flagged as duplicate content.

It is very hard to write about something and to describe it in a totally unique way, my way around that would be a martian dialect, but none us can understand it. http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/wall.gif

I wish to make it quite clear the duplicate content was from the Amazon descriptions and not your writing.

16. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Just went away to check Hovalis hubs as well. What I have seen there is a duplicate on the photos of course that would be expected as well as the Amazon ads.

It would appear to me that maybe the hubs are being affected by the Amazon advertisements as they are each flagged as duplicate content.

Maybe G has decided not to include Amazon ad sites in their search engine.

This would explain why the hubs have a 700 penalty.  I believe this to be the case because when you reach the end of the search results where G has "repeat the search with the omitted results included".... and you do this the supplemental side is full of Amazon and Wiki links. My next guess is the algorithm has a time limit before its flagged.

1. profile image0
      Hovalisposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You would think that G would differentiate between Amazon ads and the content. Hmm. It's surprising that some of the quotes I had didn't show up as dupe content. There are a few, such as the Mersey inquiry quote which is really hard to cut down, and I included it and the one on the warning from the German Government as a primary source.

The pictures are problematic as well, considering the subject, there are only a finite amount to draw from, so I'm hoping they aren't included. I wonder why some hubs would be hit and others not.

I've since found another two hubs in the same position that lost their listing at the same time. All of these hubs were history related. If Amazon ads are going to incur a penalty and override the rest of the originally written content then I may need to re-examine my whole approach. Le sigh.

1. profile image0
        terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have actually done that very thing. I was under the impression from other SEO forums that there was a certain percentage of duplicate content you can have before being penalised either with the 30 or 700 penalty. By the way some call it the 750 penalty but its still at the bottom.

Looking at the hub Mark spoke of I could see maybe the percentage was down compared to Amazon. But yours was full of content and yes some quotes as you described something came up as duplicate. Such as the name of the ship etc.. It does not figure.

I was relagated to the end of the field, re-wrote the entire page and checked for duplicate. Not one  phrase came up and viola back to page 1.

There is definitely something in this and maybe someone else may know more.http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/breakcomp.gif

17. Mark Knowles profile image58

Thanks terryg -

This is interesting, but I don't see how I can remove the Amazon descriptions - they are in the amazon capsules. Every thing else is original writing of my own. So it's like 600 words of my own writing and then 5 sentences of Amazon capsules.

I figured a penalty of some kind had been applied, but not sure how I go about getting around this.

Any one have any ideas?

18. Jason Menayan profile image62
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with the Hub whatsoever.

I would check to see if there are any backlinks going to the Hub that Google might construe as a paid-for link (which they forbid).

Adding another (clearly legitimate) link or two to the Hub might "kickstart" Google's attention.

But we've seen a lot of Hubs get a flood of traffic, then lose it for a month or so, and then get it again. We saw this with other sites that I managed at my previous job. It's often hard to know why, but in almost all cases the traffic comes back as mysteriously as it disappears.

19. charlemont profile image74
    charlemontposted 16 years ago

Looking at the source of the hub I see the nofollow tags in amazon capsules. And if it's javascript, then Google cannot "read" the content. Anyway, I often come across search queries that get a page of websites with 100% duplicate content. For me this 'dupe penalty' is quite a mystery - as how it works, when, and to which websites applied.
    My guess is that Google when listing a new hub (website) is waiting for it to gather inbound links. After some time, when it sees no backlinks appear, it drops the website off prime positions. This is just my guessing based on link: query in yahoo and G itself.
    However, since the hub is not delisted, not deindexed, I'm sure it will come back to higher positions in SE.
    Just my 2c

20. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

I don't know how good this guy is but the reference was giving over at Squidoo where a similar discussion is occurring I dont think you are alone and it doesnt seem to be a particular to HP either
    http://seo-theory.com/wordpress/2008/03 … -bad-seos/

21. Mark Knowles profile image58

Interesting link Lissie - Thanks. He is saying the same thing I have been saying about social networking sites and leaving comments etc.  LOL

I have no idea why a penalty would be applied, but it seems to be an intentional penalty - the pages are listed and indexed, but just waaaaay down the listings for a search result. I will just have to see what happens I guess. There are links to it and one of those links shows on the google first page. It does make you wonder what the point is of writing unique content when something like this happens. Google can just decide arbitrarily that I am not worth ranking any more and cut off my income from those hubs overnight.

And even hubpages don't understand it.

Although there seems to be a lot of other little discussions about mysterious drops in traffic so I would think I am not alone (with hovalis) in having a problem.

Not sure what to do about it though.

22. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

I'm seeing this on my hubs tonight, where adsense should be...

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?

The following error was

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)